SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2014 Ford F-150 XLT engine question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Ford F-150 XLT engine question Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Looking at a 2014 with the 3.5lit v6 ecoboost, 30,800 miles anything I should look out for with this engine?

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 with the same engine. 73k miles. No issues.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2015 with the same engine and now approximately 60k miles. So far it’s a beast and super awesome. Blows my Lexus GX470 mpg away and is a rocket off the line. Gas mileage is 40-50% better than my V8 was. Really has some get up too! I bought an extended warranty on my CPO at the recommendation of a friend who’s businesses uses several F150s daily. He said that they’re pretty reliable but somewhat expensive to fix.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I've got 60,000 miles on mine. It's been flawless. The whole truck has, actually.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC my mom has over 100k on her 2011 4wd Lariat. Trouble free as far as I know.
24k on my 2.7 with no drivetrain issues.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've had a 2013 and now a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. I LOVE this engine. I've towed vehicles from Georgia to Pennsylvania and Ohio with it, trailers from Ohio to New England and back. Boats, Motorcylces, logs, you name it. The engine delivers way more torque than the naturally aspirated options, and the gas mileage is great for the vehicle size.

This is my 5th F-150, and I could not be more pleased. Unfortunately, just like the 5.4 triton, changing the spark plugs on the EcoBoost can be an issue.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have 147,000 miles on mine with no problems. This truck pulls better than my F250 which has a 5.4 engine. I didn't have any problems changing spark plugs. This is the first I have heard about there being a problem.

The only problem you will have is getting speeding tickets. An F150 with that engine is quite fast and smooth.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just 2 weeks ago got one in an Explorer.
I am not sure if it is a little different from the F150 engine torque wise, but I do not believe it would tow better than my F250 with the 5.4, which I still have. I have not pushed it much, but it seems really quick. So far we are averaging 19.1 mpg. With under 500 miles.
It has a lot more power than the non turbo 3.5

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a '13 F150 King Ranch with the 3.5L ecoboost last July with 25K miles. I'm up to 37,800 now and not had any issues. I have been pleased with the acceleration and smooth driving characteristics. I average 14.7 to 15.1 around town. I have seen 19 mpg on the highway for a split second. Normally, I get just under 17 on a highway trip. I change the oil every 6K to 7500 miles with Mobil 1.

One of my employees has a 2017 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. He routinely gets 23 mp.

Posts: 102 | Location: Southwest Fl | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just bought an Expedition with the Ecoboost motor and asked the same questions a few weeks back.
Granted there are some of the V8 5.4L info mixed in as I was comparing the 2 models.
There is some good info in this thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4030030834/p/1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I've had a 2013 and now a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. I LOVE this engine. I've towed vehicles from Georgia to Pennsylvania and Ohio with it, trailers from Ohio to New England and back. Boats, Motorcylces, logs, you name it. The engine delivers way more torque than the naturally aspirated options, and the gas mileage is great for the vehicle size.

This is my 5th F-150, and I could not be more pleased. Unfortunately, just like the 5.4 triton, changing the spark plugs on the EcoBoost can be an issue.

Could you please point me to some info on the spark plug issue with the Ecoboost?
I have been researching the 2 motors extensively the last month and was well aware of the 5.4 issue for years now. Though I have not heard a thing about the issue with the Ecoboost and would like to be prepared.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post