SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upgrade from 1st Gen to 3rd Gen Apple Watch....noticeable difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrade from 1st Gen to 3rd Gen Apple Watch....noticeable difference? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
My original is still in great shape and works well. I see that Apple is giving up to $150 towards a trade in for the 3rd generation.

I want to use it as a sports watch, but the lack of water proof, and that I sometimes find when my wrist sweats I love connection to my heart rate makes me frustrated.

In the end I fall back on my Suunto for my bike rides. Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see that Apple is giving up to $150 towards a trade in for the 3rd generation.
Before you do the Apple trade, post your watch here in the Classifieds. Give us a shot at it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I went from a Series 1 to a Series 3 and there’s quite a noticeable difference.

I was an early adopter of the Series 1.

The 3 is much faster, battery life is WAY better, it has GPS, and now I have LTE (you may or may not, depending on the model you buy). I also really like that’s it’s waterproof. It also has a higher resolution display, which is evident.

I opted for the stainless steel model this time. Aside from looking awesome, the sapphire screen seems to be extra durable (as they claim) and the SS case is too. My Series 1 was aluminum and the screen scratched easily and the case got dinged up. Might be worth the upgrade.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
DRIFT: Thread needs a better title. Wink

"Upgrade from 1st Gen to 3rd Gen"

I thought it was a Glock thread. Smile (thinking "why didn't he put it in the pistol section?)

iWatch My brain didn't see the "i" until I quoted it here. Roll Eyes

"Watch....noticeable difference?"

I thought there was going to be a youtube video. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a no brainer for me. I wouldn’t buy a gen 1 personally. The gen 3 brings a lot to the table, foremost being waterproof and self contained gps. The days of having to haul around your phone to get distance/pace etc are done.

Waterproof and gps alone are the reason to upgrade. Their other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Take the credit and upgrade is my two cents.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I went from G1 to G2 primarily for greater water resistance and noticed a big improvement erformance wise.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Pedro and others! I started with the gen 3 cause I waited for the independence of the LTE Noel. I no longer need my phone in the gym to track progress or listen to music and the quick remote features are pleasant. I don’t test out the water aspects though.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
DRIFT: Thread needs a better title. Wink

"Upgrade from 1st Gen to 3rd Gen"

I thought it was a Glock thread. Smile (thinking "why didn't he put it in the pistol section?)

iWatch My brain didn't see the "i" until I quoted it here. Roll Eyes

"Watch....noticeable difference?"

I thought there was going to be a youtube video. Big Grin

It also took me just a second since there is no iWatch, as Apple Watch is the product. My son recently went to a third generation, and seems to be impressed with its capabilities. The waterproofing alone would make the decision a no brainer. Me? Still rocking a 1990 era G-Shok. They’ll probably have to take it off me before they close the casket.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of youtube videos showing the drastic increase in battery life, startup time and overall performance of the Gen 3 compared to the Gen 1.

I have a Gen 1 space black stainless steel with Sapphire crystal. I wear this thing everywhere 6-7 days a week. I have washed my hands, sweat and lipped a few hundred LM and never had any issues. It does have some water resistance, but nothing like the Gen 2&3.

I can't see myself getting rid of mine just yet. I paid 499 for this when it came out and there is not one single wear mark or scratch on this. I have never used a case for it. The black SS and sapphire were a home run from Apple in terms of durability.

If you have a glass/aluminum Series 1 and they are offering 150, I'd say thats a good deal. Either sell it here or take the trade in. Its a huge step up in terms of power. In my case, I don't want the increase in power as I use mine for notifications, time and alarms only.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys (I updated the thread title).

After further review Apple will only give me $50 for my current watch; it the Gen2 they will offer the bigger money for.

If/when I upgrade I will sell it here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Ouch. 50 is an insult. You could get triple that.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I never get why people refer to this device as an iWatch. It's always been "Apple Watch." I guess people have been brainwashed into thinking "i-everything."

That said, I have a Gen 1 watch that I really like, but I have noticed I have to now put it in a charger midday, when before it would run 16 hours on a single charge.

I use a Garmin when I run, partly because that data is more transferable (and Garmin's GPS is superior to Apple's Tom Tom). But I really like the glances and complications. Maybe I'll look into this upgrade...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
Apple watch 2nd gen and third Gen are not waterproof, they are water resistant to 2 meters or so of water according to Apple and they say not to go deeper than that. The 3rd gen was no more resistant than 2nd gen. Gen 1 was even less water resistant. You couldn't submerge this watch at all, just a little "sprinkle" of water was permitted.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
And here I am trying to figure out how I manage to stay alive without this 'watch' when all I have is my old Navitimer...

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Garmin user I am unimpressed with any of the Apple watches and I own stock in Apple.

My Forerunner 235 features both GPS and GLONASS. So, what's GLONASS. It is the Soviet/Russian equivalent to GPS and by using both systems you have a Satellite constellation that is more than double that of GPS alone. Because of this I will normally have a location lock in less time than it takes me to get the key in the lock for my deadbolt when I go for a run. With my original Forerunner 15 which was GPS only there were times when I would have to wait 5 minutes or more to get a location lock.

If you want waterproofing the Forerunner 235 is rated for water resistance to a depth of 50 Meters (165 feet). Note, Garmin does caution that none of the buttons should be pushed when the watch is submerged.

Then there is the matter of the Heart Rate monitor. As someone with lots of experience with optical HR monitors I can state with absolute certainty they are not at all accurate if I am moving at any pace higher than a slow walk. Good news for those like me is that the old fashioned ELECTRICALLY BASED Chest bands are perfectly accurate if you use a bit of Aloe Vera Gel on the contact patches and keep the straps fairly clean.

Note, Apple does NOT support any chest monitor that I am aware of. If you want to use a chest monitor you have to link it to your phone to get a record. How effectively you will be able to merged distance and pace information from the watch with a phone based HR record I don't have a clue about. All I can say is that with Garmin products you can overlay HR, Pace, Cadence, and elevation information at will.

Finally with the Garmin products you get true Sports watches that are reprogrammed with application for a wide variety of activities. Heck, my Fenix 3 that I purchased for 300 bucks when it was being closed out has so many fitness apps that I hid at least 20 to minimize having to scroll through the whole list. Did keep the biking and running apps, the walking app, and the Golf app.

BTW, if you want to go all out the Garmin EPIX or Fenix 5 offer overhead satellite views of your current location anywhere on the planet and come pre-loaded with a worldwide topographical map. Note, the Satellite coverage is free for the first year after purchase and a paid subscription after the first year. Those who enjoy exploring in the deepest darkest forests might want to look into one of these. With a Solar Panel for recharging you could potentially walk from the very tip of South America to the North Slope of Alaska without ever stopping to ask for directions.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Scooter

Thanks for taking the time to write that. At this point I think I need to hang on to my Suunto a while longer.

I had hoped to get better HR and GPS accuracy from the 3rd generation, but from what I'm reading that is likely not the case.

My current Apple Watch is fine for what I need it to do.Anything more and I will use tools designed for what I need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
As a Garmin user I am unimpressed with any of the Apple watches and I own stock in Apple.

My Forerunner 235 features both GPS and GLONASS. So, what's GLONASS. It is the Soviet/Russian equivalent to GPS and by using both systems you have a Satellite constellation that is more than double that of GPS alone. Because of this I will normally have a location lock in less time than it takes me to get the key in the lock for my deadbolt when I go for a run. With my original Forerunner 15 which was GPS only there were times when I would have to wait 5 minutes or more to get a location lock.

If you want waterproofing the Forerunner 235 is rated for water resistance to a depth of 50 Meters (165 feet). Note, Garmin does caution that none of the buttons should be pushed when the watch is submerged.

Then there is the matter of the Heart Rate monitor. As someone with lots of experience with optical HR monitors I can state with absolute certainty they are not at all accurate if I am moving at any pace higher than a slow walk. Good news for those like me is that the old fashioned ELECTRICALLY BASED Chest bands are perfectly accurate if you use a bit of Aloe Vera Gel on the contact patches and keep the straps fairly clean.

Note, Apple does NOT support any chest monitor that I am aware of. If you want to use a chest monitor you have to link it to your phone to get a record. How effectively you will be able to merged distance and pace information from the watch with a phone based HR record I don't have a clue about. All I can say is that with Garmin products you can overlay HR, Pace, Cadence, and elevation information at will.

Finally with the Garmin products you get true Sports watches that are reprogrammed with application for a wide variety of activities. Heck, my Fenix 3 that I purchased for 300 bucks when it was being closed out has so many fitness apps that I hid at least 20 to minimize having to scroll through the whole list. Did keep the biking and running apps, the walking app, and the Golf app.

BTW, if you want to go all out the Garmin EPIX or Fenix 5 offer overhead satellite views of your current location anywhere on the planet and come pre-loaded with a worldwide topographical map. Note, the Satellite coverage is free for the first year after purchase and a paid subscription after the first year. Those who enjoy exploring in the deepest darkest forests might want to look into one of these. With a Solar Panel for recharging you could potentially walk from the very tip of South America to the North Slope of Alaska without ever stopping to ask for directions.

Yeah the big difference is that the Garmin watches (yes I own one) look ridiculous for every day wear especially if you work in an office environment. The Apple Watch is something you can basically wear all the time. The Apple Watch isn’t geared towards hard core users...it’s an everyday smart watch that can used for sport activities. Let me know how well your Garmin works at answering phone calls or checking the news. When is the last time your Garmin let you pay for your coffee? You’re comparing apples and pears (pun intended.)

To the OP if you primarily want to use this as a sports watch then by all means get a Garmin or a TomTom spark but if you plan on using it for everyday use too, then the Apple Watch is the way to go. I have sports watches that I use for sport activities and used to have a Apple Watch. I sold it because I have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in traditional Swiss automatics and I wasn’t wearing them because the Apple Watch becomes my go to watch. If you want an all around watch that can do everything well but maybe not perfectly then the Apple Watch is the safest bet. Plenty of people use Apple watches for sport activities every day and it works perfectly fine for them. If you want it for iron man or triathalon it’s probably not the best choice.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I made the switch over the weekend. Noticeable difference in speed and response! “Hey Siri” seems to work significantly better!

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, Someone suggested that instead of trading it in that I put my First Gen for sale in the classifieds, I’m going to clean it up and get this done today or tomorrow.

Thanks again!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Next Update -

"Hey Siri" is SO much better on this watch.

So my first generation had to be charged every night. Today I put the watch on the charger at 25%...after not charging it since Monday morning!

It gets quite a bit of use; so if I can consistently get 2+ days out of one charge that will be very nice if I don't have to take the charger with me if I go away for a weekend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ