SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everyday boots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyday boots Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
Hi all

I have a pair of Timberland boots that I have worn for lower temp weather and rain (light rain) usage. They are 30+ yrs old and falling apart. However, apparently it looks like Timberland doesn't make real boots for actual men anymore.

I saw a pair of Rockports that capture the style I am looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockport...c-Boot/dp/B00XP4Q1WY

Whats the collective opinion on Rockport? At the price, likely made in China so I'll avoid if possible.

Is there an American made alternative in this style (doesn't have to be waterproof, I have two pairs of those for really bad weather) just something with a lugged sole for traction and high enough to keep me out of puddles and leather, 5"-6", hoc toe preferable.

Doesn't need to be super-insulated wither, as I am in Texas.

Thanks

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Red Wing probably offers something much like that, made in USA.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Red Wing 'Irish Setter' made in China

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me these for Christmas. She paid $95, looks like they went up. Very comfortable boot. I wear them 5 days, 9-10 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to wear Rockports many years ago, until they quit manufacturing the model I wore. They were good boots, but didn't have anything that compared to the original quality.

Switched to Ecco and have warn their Track boots for around 25 yrs. They've had their issues over the years with quality of materials.
However, they are one of the best water proof walking boots out there.

For the last yr, I've been wearing a pull on boot by Red Wing 'Irish Setter'. Took awhile to get used to them. I had to change out the insoles for a better support. But they have become my everyday boots. So far, they've worn better than the previous brands.

The Ecco is more comfortable and feels more like a shoe.

The Red Wing is a boot, which is sort of clunky. But wears better when riding the bike.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
^^^ Red Wing 'Irish Setter' made in China

Yeah. Some of the Red Wing boots are made in foreign lands. But some are still USA made.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a USA made boot, it'll be at least $300. There's just not a lot of domestic options when it comes to footwear, especially if it's not a specialty (logging, oil, steel-toe...) style. One of the big holes in the US's mid-skilled trained labor fields, is domestic footwear manufactering.

I have a pair of these from Chaco. They're more known for their sandals but, being owned by Wolverine they're able to use their technology and build a really good, everyday closed toe shoes. Got them in Chocolate Brown, they easy to wear, comfortable and sharp for dinner or meetings.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
H.S. Trask?

https://www.trask.com/men/mens...1054_width=M#start=1

Yes, they're expensive. I'd never buy $500 boots. On the flip side, I've had three pair of Trask boots (made of buffalo) and all I can wear out is soles and strings. Local shop does a nice job of re-soling.

Not boots, and imported, but still a nice shoe. I think I've had two pairs of these.
https://www.trask.com/men/mens...ican%20Steer#start=1

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Thorogood boots are made in the US and wear like iron

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Check out Danner Boots. I've got 3 pairs and they are all very well made and reasonably priced. They have a factory in Oregon plus some that are made overseas. I probably will never have to buy another pair of boots because the Danner's wear like iron.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Chippewa and Thorogood are made in US and come at a reasonable price.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may find what you like in Chippewa's lineup. I have a pair of light weight 6 inch with speed lace hooks. Have held up really well and made here. I like the little American flag too.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was a cop and walked quite a bit, but wore boots because of the ankle support....

I used the cheapest ones the department bought for us-they were crap

I began wearing my Coast Guard boots (steel toe and steel shank) but they wore out quickly...

I've Tried many different brands, 5.11, Danner, Redwing, etc

The danners were light enough and the soles were super at not wearing down...the Redwings were the same.

Spend the money up front, good boots will last longer than cheap $125 boots...the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for" is the truth

go try on some Danners and some Redwings, cry once-buy once.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Right now Sierra Trading Co has a buyout of Chippewa work boots made in USA. Reg $250 for $75 is what I paid and bought 2 pair. If you aren't familiar with STP you need to get on their email list and then they will send discount codes and coupon sales.

I bought these with a 25% off sale & free shipping

https://www.sierratradingpost....2Fchippewa~b~3187%2F

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I love these Red Wings

http://www.redwingshoes.com/re...ng-mens-chukka-brown

Been wearing them 5 days a week for 2 months and they have worn in nicely and don't show much of any wear.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
More Redwings:

I have 2 pair of these, an ankle height and 8" height. I have really narrow feet ( A width), Redwing is one of the few companies offering narrow boots.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/re...ns-6-inch-boot-brown

No lugs to track mud and gravel into the house, and damage our hardwood flooring.

These boots last forever with care and proper treatment/oils, only downside, being all leather, a little heavy

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not all danners are US made if that’s your only criteria. Check each model carefully.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I used to have a pair of Rockports like that. Great for everyday around town.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Right now Sierra Trading Co has a buyout of Chippewa work boots made in USA. Reg $250 for $75 is what I paid and bought 2 pair. If you aren't familiar with STP you need to get on their email list and then they will send discount codes and coupon sales.

I bought these with a 25% off sale & free shipping

I was going to suggest Sierra Trading Post as well. Have bought a LOT of stuff from them including shoes and boots. Everything is discounted to begin with, then as stated here, if you're on the mailing list, they'll send coupons for more. Check them out at sierratradingpost.com

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I love my Danner higher grounds.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post