SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need assistance on son's relocation to DC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need assistance on son's relocation to DC Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
email inbound

Replied. Thanks!

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My brother and his wife made this same move (Indy to DC) a few years back when she started her masters at George Mason. They are currently living in Alexandria, but looking at a house further north west (but still in VA), because he got a job in Frederick and has been commuting every day.

Not living in DC or Maryland is definitely the way to go...Especially considering the gun laws. My brother said VA isn't as gun friendly as IN, but it's worlds better than MD or DC. As a plus, NRA headquarters is right there in NoVA.

Now I do have to warn you...Driving to DC from IN without going through Maryland is gonna suck. There's no good way to do it, and all those two lane mountain roads through WV and western VA are going to take twice as long to drive as our nice straight, flat state routes and county roads in IN. Personally, I'd unload, encase, and take my chances driving straight through MD on the interstate, but that's your call.

Also, don't speed in VA...MD may put you in jail for having a gun, but you can get jail time in VA for doing 10 over (anything over 80 is reckless driving). I hope your son and his GF know what they're doing. I know people have different priorities, but I wouldn't move to that part of the country for any degree, job, or amount of money. There's lots of fun stuff to do when you visit, but dealing with all the congestion, attitudes, and stupid laws overwhelms my midwestern tolerance level for BS pretty darn quickly.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
My brother and his wife made this same move (Indy to DC) a few years back when she started her masters at George Mason. They are currently living in Alexandria, but looking at a house further north west (but still in VA), because he got a job in Frederick and has been commuting every day.

Not living in DC or Maryland is definitely the way to go...Especially considering the gun laws. My brother said VA isn't as gun friendly as IN, but it's worlds better than MD or DC. As a plus, NRA headquarters is right there in NoVA.

Now I do have to warn you...Driving to DC from IN without going through Maryland is gonna suck. There's no good way to do it, and all those two lane mountain roads through WV and western VA are going to take twice as long to drive as our nice straight, flat state routes and county roads in IN. Personally, I'd unload, encase, and take my chances driving straight through MD on the interstate, but that's your call.

Also, don't speed in VA...MD may put you in jail for having a gun, but you can get jail time in VA for doing 10 over (anything over 80 is reckless driving). I hope your son and his GF know what they're doing. I know people have different priorities, but I wouldn't move to that part of the country for any degree, job, or amount of money. There's lots of fun stuff to do when you visit, but dealing with all the congestion, attitudes, and stupid laws overwhelms my midwestern tolerance level for BS pretty darn quickly.

You and me both, brother. The thing is, they are adults and a parent can only influence so much.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I wanted to dust this thread off briefly and give everyone that helped with a quick update. My son has finally secured a decently located 1 BR apartment in the Rosslyn area of north Arlington. It's an older building with about 45 units and does allow a 10-15 minute walk to the Rosslyn metro, where the GU shuttle picks up for the girlfriend. We've watched the drive times daily to his job location, which is in the Crystal City area. Under 15 minutes each day and he can also do the metro. The apartment is $1700/month and that does include offstreet parking, a real plus. This seemed to give the best location for both to commute and a pretty safe area, relatively speaking. Thanks to all that offered suggestions and I have one more question...

If anyone has driven from IN/Ohio recently into the D.C. area, I'm trying to figure a hotel somewhere a couple of hours west of D.C. for our first night. We will be dragging a UHaul and the D.C. area parking garages aren't really going to work. So, I figure we would drive 7-8 hours from Bloomington, IN the first day, which would put us in the last of PA or western MD. Then, the next day, we would drive to his apartment and unload. Then, we can dump the trailer and just have two trucks with us. There just doesn't appear to be much development between south of Pittsburg to Hagerstown. And maybe Hagerstown would be the best landing spot for the next day to drive into D.C.

Thanks again, everyone.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
I wanted to dust this thread off briefly and give everyone that helped with a quick update. My son has finally secured a decently located 1 BR apartment in the Rosslyn area of north Arlington. It's an older building with about 45 units and does allow a 10-15 minute walk to the Rosslyn metro, where the GU shuttle picks up for the girlfriend. We've watched the drive times daily to his job location, which is in the Crystal City area. Under 15 minutes each day and he can also do the metro. The apartment is $1700/month and that does include offstreet parking, a real plus. This seemed to give the best location for both to commute and a pretty safe area, relatively speaking. Thanks to all that offered suggestions and I have one more question...

If anyone has driven from IN/Ohio recently into the D.C. area, I'm trying to figure a hotel somewhere a couple of hours west of D.C. for our first night. We will be dragging a UHaul and the D.C. area parking garages aren't really going to work. So, I figure we would drive 7-8 hours from Bloomington, IN the first day, which would put us in the last of PA or western MD. Then, the next day, we would drive to his apartment and unload. Then, we can dump the trailer and just have two trucks with us. There just doesn't appear to be much development between south of Pittsburg to Hagerstown. And maybe Hagerstown would be the best landing spot for the next day to drive into D.C.

Thanks again, everyone.

I think your best bet is Frederick, MD. I-70 bisects the town and you can take I-270 to the (I-495) beltway, only 30 to 45 mins during non-rush hour. There's plenty of hotels right off Route 85, adjacent to both highways and the lots should accommodate trailers.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Back that trailer up to a wall if you can, so nobody can break into it in the motel parking lot. Even in fairly nice, safe little towns (Kerrville, Tx, for instance) miscreants breaking into vehicles at motels is a real problem.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:

Thanks again, everyone.

I think your best bet is Frederick, MD. I-70 bisects the town and you can take I-270 to the (I-495) beltway, only 30 to 45 mins during non-rush hour. There's plenty of hotels right off Route 85, adjacent to both highways and the lots should accommodate trailers.

Frederick MD does sound good for the above reasons. Rush hour is over at 930am so dropping down I270 to I495 to Virginia is a good choice. I was going to Silver Spring, MD also if you wanted to stage closer,but scratch that, it's in the opposite direction from where you want to go on I 495.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to the people who say you can't speed in Virginia.

The state police LOOK for out of state speeders and even then, as long as you are going with the flow of traffic, no one will ever bother you.

My wife got a pair of speeding tickets when she first moved to NOVA and had out of state plates. She hasn't gotten one since getting Va plates.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post