SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need assistance on son's relocation to DC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need assistance on son's relocation to DC Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted
My younger son and his gf are moving to the DC area in May. She has been accepted with a full scholarship for her PhD at Georgetown and the son has been offered a job at a company in Alexandria. They are young and believe DC will offer them what they want from a growth perspective. She is in a very niche field (Middle East Linguistics) and he is a writer. She likes the bigger city and he is in love.

The first challenge will be to help them move from their place near Indianapolis and navigate to the DC area without going into Maryland and DC until I can disarm and secure the handgun he currently has in IN. Looks like I can avoid Maryland by dropping south into Virgina, adding an hour of driving. I plan to make somewhere in NoVA our base of ops to get him moved in.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel, maybe a Mariott, Hilton, HI or Choice property somewhere between Arlington and Alexandria? We will be pulling a Uhaul, especially for the first couple of days.

He does not know where he will be living, although they took a quick trip and they really like the Wisconsin Ave / Glover Park area. They are prepared to cram into something tiny and live on a dime.

I've tried to get them interested instead in NoVa, but she does not drive (foreign student) and needs to be able to access Georgetown daily. He will have the fun of commuting to Alexandria.

I'd love any general ideas from our great folks in that area and I'll take suggestions of some potential places and if anyone has any visibility of DC apartments, etc...

Many thanks!

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
DC to Alexandria against traffic shouldn't be that bad. He could also just take a Metro rail or Metro buses.

I hope they realize that they will be paying $2,500 a month for a crappy one bedroom apartment in DC or $3-4k for something nicer. Dinner in the city costs about $20-$50 per person. Parking is often not included in rent and will be hundreds of dollars more every month.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Housing is insanely expensive in DC, a HS friend of mine and his wife paid something like $450,000 for a barely 1,000 sq foot house that would be like $150,000 in PA.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
DC to Alexandria against traffic shouldn't be that bad. He could also just take a Metro rail or Metro buses.

No such thing as against traffic between Alexandria and DC during rush hour. I know b/c I made the commute between King Street and Wisconsin Ave for years. Also, the Metro doesn't go into Georgetown so she'd be up the creek and have to drive to/fro each day. The son on the other hand can easily take the Metro if they lived off Wisconsin.

Not sure how far you want to stay from where they might be, but I highly recommend the Sheraton in Beltsville, MD - close to the Beltway (495). The rates are very reasonable for the quality of the (partly fed agency subsidized) hotel.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:

No such thing as against traffic between Alexandria and DC during rush hour. I know b/c I made the commute between King Street and Wisconsin Ave for years. Also, the Metro doesn't go into Georgetown so she'd be up the creek and have to drive to/fro each day. The son on the other hand can easily take the Metro if they lived off Wisconsin.

Not sure how far you want to stay from where they might be, but I highly recommend the Sheraton in Beltsville, MD - very close to the Beltway (495). The rates are very reasonable for the quality of the (partly fed agency subsidized) hotel.

I see metro buses on M St. all the time. Confused

Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle (GUTS)

Cross traffic is a semi myth in Arlington/Alex, but it is slightly better going against the grain.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:

Not sure how far you want to stay from where they might be, but I highly recommend the Sheraton in Beltsville, MD - very close to the Beltway (495). The rates are very reasonable for the quality of the (partly fed agency subsidized) hotel.

I see metro buses on M St. all the time. Confused

Cross traffic is a semi myth in Arlington/Alex, but it is slightly better going against the grain.

I meant Metro rail. Traffic is pretty bad and depends a large part on what part of (how far North on) Wisconsin Ave one is talking. It becomes with traffic north of 29... and Georgetown is in that direction.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
He does not know where he will be living, although they took a quick trip and they really like the Wisconsin Ave / Glover Park area. They are prepared to cram into something tiny and live on a dime.

I work in and around the Wisconsin Ave corridor a lot and familiar with the Glover Park area. If they are prepared to live in something tiny and live on a dime, that's exactly what they will get in glover Park. Well, it depends on what they want. Plenty of studios, apts, and lofts off Wisconsin ave, but they will be paying out the ass for a small space. Street crime is actually not that bad. Plenty of police presence, and USSS because of the consulates & embassy's in that area. Even with that petty theft does happen, Head on a swivel, stay in condition yellow, they should be fine.
Driving into Alexandria can be as much a pain in the ass as driving into DC from Virginia. Metro might be the way to go but Metro has had a lot of service problems lately even though the trains going across the river into Alexandria are packed every day. Georgetown has shuttles going up and down Wisconsin ave to the campus, and again Metro buses are available as well. No Metro rail in Georgetown.

With all that said, I'd say Alexandria would be better for them. She has options as far a commuting into DC to Georgetown and keep in mind Alexandria can be expensive also.

A CCW for Alexandria, VA is advisable of course,and believe me, they will take the full 45 days before he is approved.

Hope the above helps. Anything else I can do, drop me a email.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I lived in Alexandria years ago. It has great mass transit to down town DC.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GU is directly across the Potomac from North Arlington. Very accessible and easy to get to. No need to move into DC which is more expensive anyways. And any of the gun issues while living there won't be a problem. I lived in that exact area for 4 years while I rented a moderately priced apt. The area is safe and fun but I just didn't want to buy there so I moved quite a ways out from DC. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

Also, GU is closer to Arlington than Glover Park as far as the non driving issue goes...

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
GU is directly across the Potomac from North Arlington. Very accessible and easy to get to. No need to move into DC which is more expensive anyways. And any of the gun issues while living there won't be a problem. I lived in that exact area for 4 years while I rented a moderately priced apt. The area is safe and fun but I just didn't want to buy there so I moved quite a ways out from DC. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

Also, GU is closer to Arlington than Glover Park as far as the non driving issue goes...

I second this idea; there are a number of communities that have sprung up near Metro in Arlington and not that far from GU. Courthouse and Clarendon, and always Rosslyn. They can be pricey, but everything they could want or hope for is not that far away, and there are buses from some of these communities crossing the Potomac frequently. Glover Park can be a bit of a walk to GU unless one goes cross country, which I don't think you can.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there's no need to avoid traveling through Maryland. Follow FOPA rules and you'll have zero trouble. That is NOT true for D.C., but the DC beltway (I-495) is entirely in VA and MD (except for a stretch less than a quarter mile long in the SE corner, but I don't worry about that bit, either.

Save yourself the extra drive time!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks so much. I'm reading and responding to your emails.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Rosslyn is right across the bridge from georgetown and as someone mentioned there is a shuttle. The shuttle is free for students if I remember correctly. Rosslyn is also right off of the blue and orange lines for the metro. That's certainly where I'd live in their situation if it was me.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
Rosslyn is right across the bridge from georgetown and as someone mentioned there is a shuttle. The shuttle is free for students if I remember correctly. Rosslyn is also right off of the blue and orange lines for the metro. That's certainly where I'd live in their situation if it was me.

Thanks for the reminder; yes, there is a shuttle from the Rosslyn Metro to GU and it's free to GU students, faculty, visitors, etc. That station used to be fairly seedy (and it may still be)so the GF should keep her head on swivel, or at least use the buddy system.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just spent a week in DC and based out of Rosslyn. I used the Rosslyn Metro station extensively and other than an elderly beggar or two, no issues seen what so ever. However....I used up a about a days worth of time on that escalator ride up and down to the platform...geez that thing is long...

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope they realize that they will be paying $2,500 a month for a crappy one bedroom apartment in DC or $3-4k for something nicer. Dinner in the city costs about $20-$50 per person. Parking is often not included in rent and will be hundreds of dollars more every month.

This!!!

And metro-rail pretty well covers all of DC and runs a good ways into Virginia.

My advice/choice would be to take a place in N. VA and take metro into town when necessary.

And, why does she not drive? Never learned how, or simply does not have a driver's license.

Should not be hard, at all, for her to get a VA state license if she has a license from offshore.

As I recall, all she has to do is pass the VA state test to get her license. Assuming she can already drive. But then they will need a car.

Question: How often, and for how long, will she be required to actually be at the university? Every day?

When I was going to college, working 60+ hours a week, I always managed to get all my classes on MWF, and all before noon. Just a thought

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
email inbound

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:

Thanks for the reminder; yes, there is a shuttle from the Rosslyn Metro to GU and it's free to GU students, faculty, visitors, etc. That station used to be fairly seedy (and it may still be)so the GF should keep her head on swivel, or at least use the buddy system.

Thanks for the insight guys, I have passed this along.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

This!!!

And metro-rail pretty well covers all of DC and runs a good ways into Virginia.

My advice/choice would be to take a place in N. VA and take metro into town when necessary.

And, why does she not drive? Never learned how, or simply does not have a driver's license.

Should not be hard, at all, for her to get a VA state license if she has a license from offshore.

As I recall, all she has to do is pass the VA state test to get her license. Assuming she can already drive. But then they will need a car.

Question: How often, and for how long, will she be required to actually be at the university? Every day?

When I was going to college, working 60+ hours a week, I always managed to get all my classes on MWF, and all before noon. Just a thought

Yes, I think NoVa would be a great idea and have passed that along. Easier for Dad to visit. The GF did drive in her native country bt has been in grad school for the last three years here in the US and has never owned a car. So, I think it is a matter of not having applied for a DL.

I don't think she has any idea of schedules yet, as she just finalized her funding offer over the past coup,e of weeks. Thanks for the ideas.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member