SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Papa John's Founder Getting Lynched Today By Twitter Mob
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Papa John's Founder Getting Lynched Today By Twitter Mob Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
quote:
Schnatter talked with local afternoon drive-time radio DJ about this controversy and fairly well states that he was set-up by this agency and what is said above. Further comments are made about other aspects of the various UofL Athletics problems (Pitino and Jurich). Twenty-eight and one-half minute radio interview at this link. https://whas.iheart.com/featur...g-use-of-the-n-word/

When I first read about this, that was my thought as well. This seemed like a setup. That media company should be ostracized for this. They basically knifed a paying client.

Page not available. Anyone have the Cliff notes version?

84WHAS-Radio moved it from the “news” page over to the “show” page. It’s almost as though someone complained to radio management about this; hmmmm.
https://whas.iheart.com/featur...g-use-of-the-n-word/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just got this email from Papa John's. I guess they want to copy Starbucks. Jerks, but I will still buy their pizza once in a while when it is 1/2 price.

This past week was the hardest week in my 22 years with Papa John's. I know the words of John Schnatter were offensive, and nothing pains me more than knowing they hurt you. To be clear, those words in no way represent my views or the values of our company. As the leader of Papa John's, I'm sorry.

Racism and insensitive language - no matter the context - will not be tolerated at any level of our company. Period.

Papa John's is not an individual. Papa John's is a pizza company with 120,000 corporate and franchise team members around the world. These are the people in your communities from all walks of life who work hard to provide you with better service and better pizza. These are your local owners and operators who do so much in your community.

Still, you deserve actions, not just words, so here's what we're going to do about it:

We're in the process of bringing in outside experts to help audit our company's culture and diversity and inclusion practices. This will allow us to identify our strengths and weaknesses. We will then set clear goals to do better.

Our senior management team will be on the road, listening to our employees and franchisees and getting their feedback on a path to move forward.

We'll be transparent with you along the way. We want you to hold us accountable.

I will personally be leading this effort because there is nothing more important for Papa John's right now. We want to regain your trust, and we will work hard to earn it. I know this will take time.

The entire team at Papa John's wants to thank you for your loyalty. We are only in business because of you. And it's our sincere wish that we'll continue to have the honor of serving you.

Sincerely,
Steve Ritchie
CEO, Papa John's

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This subject is so fucked up.
It really isn't an issue of right/wrong or racism/etc.
It is just about common sense in the business world.
Tired of it all. Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, so, we shoot him? Sorry, I haven't been following this. Maybe someone can catch me up. It sounds like he's going to be executed or something, so, I was just wondering.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Listen to link at top of page, first half has an explanation of it.

If as he described it, zero need for any pitchforks or public flogging. He said his company doesn't used the word, he doesn't used the word, and he doesn't want to deal with it. This is the part we are not being told.

Also if it's as he describes he's apologizing way too much. Utterance of a word is not crime, he was in no way calling anyone a nigger or even speaking disparaging about anyone. He simply said nigger instead of N-word. Had everything happened exactly the same but he substituted N-word for nigger it'd be A-OK.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I don't know the full context of what was said, because I didn't hear it first hand.
However, given his comments on the NFL, which were truthful, I have a tendency to believe that his use of the "N-word" may have been taken out of context or overblown by current Papa John's executives in order to distance the company from its' Founder.

I can tell you this much first hand: I spent the weekend in Louisville. This is a big deal in Louisville. It's tearing that town apart. Some think he's a racist but I think more think he's being railroaded.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I don't know the full context of what was said, because I didn't hear it first hand.
However, given his comments on the NFL, which were truthful, I have a tendency to believe that his use of the "N-word" may have been taken out of context or overblown by current Papa John's executives in order to distance the company from its' Founder.

I can tell you this much first hand: I spent the weekend in Louisville. This is a big deal in Louisville. It's tearing that town apart. Some think he's a racist but I think more think he's being railroaded.

You are absolutely correct that he was/is being railroaded. The company running that was running the “roll-playing exercise” over the phone goaded him into saying what he did, even after he said that he didn’t want to say it; and they had recorded the “exercise”. And then that company, which had already had its contract with the “Papa John’s” folks terminated, released it to the media. Additionally, the local “community activists” are demanding reparations from him and the Company in order to be placated for the “offensive word” being said.

John Schnatter now has been completely removed from the Company’s Board and no longer has any ties with it, except for any of the stock that he owns. Yes the “Social Justice Warriors” through their “virtue signaling” have another victim, er...victory, and pyrrhic that it may well become.

As to “tearing the town apart”; I think not. It’s only a certain demographic that is continually running their mouths with the assistance of the local so-called news media, that are keeping the shitpot stirred up for their own agenda. We’ve got a mayoral election this November and this is being used as a distraction in order to keep from covering the mismanagement and misrule that has occurred here for the past 50 years under the DemoCraps, not to mention the on-going unprecedented crime and murder wave in that demographic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2BobTanner,

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
latest on this is the pr company that leaked the call to Forbes tried to extort 6 million dollars to make the story go away.

https://www.adweek.com/agencys...for-6-million/147989

The pizza drama continued over the weekend as Papa John’s founder John Schnatter doubled and even tripled down on his claims that former AOR Laundry Service bears a major share of the responsibility for a May call in which he uttered the N-word and made comments about lynching, according to a report in Forbes that he later confirmed.

In a Friday interview with a local radio host, Schnatter said that Laundry Service staffers had “pressured” him to engage in the conversation that led to him using that word while referencing Colonel Sanders.

And in a second interview with an ABC affiliate, he went so far as to claim that the agency “extorted” his company and demanded $6 million “to make [the story] go away.”

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do we shoot him now? I hear that he has impure thoughts. If you asked him, he'd deny it, which would be, of course, confirmation that he's lying.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Para, they are trying to kill him by 1000 cuts. Took his penthouse office away today. They just keep piling on.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/3865...of-louisville-office
Papa John's founder John Schnatter kicked out of Louisville office

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Louisville-based Papa John’s International further distanced itself from company founder John Schnatter on Monday following Schnatter’s admitted use of racial language.

A special committee of the Papa John’s board of directors terminated Schnatter’s “founder” agreement with the company and a sublease under which Schnatter rents office space at the company’s headquarters in Jeffersontown, the company disclosed in a regulatory filing.

Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board last week after admitting he used N-word on a conference call in May. He also resigned from the U of L board of trustees, and the university decided to remove the company's name from what had been Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

The founder agreement, which dates to 2007, defines on Schnatter’s special role with the company, including “attending major corporate events, making visits to domestic and international franchises, participating in monthly quality meetings with management, participating in meetings with investors, and acting as advertising and brand spokesperson.”

Papa John's announced Friday it would remove Schnatter's image from its marketing materials.

Schnatter receives about $300,000 a year in stock options under the founder agreement, according the company’s most recent annual proxy statement.

Schnatter maintains an expansive office suite on the top floor of the company’s headquarters building in Jeffersontown. The office sublease will end in 90 days, the company said.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Lord of the Flies...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Papa John Accuses PR Firm Of Blackmailing Him For $6 Million; Refused To Work With Kanye Over "N" Word

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...rk-kanye-over-n-word

Papa John's founder John Schnatter is punching back after resigning from his company's board last week in disgrace over racially insensitive comments he made during a "diversity media training" conference call with marketing firm Laundry Service.

In a Saturday letter to the board of directors, Schnatter claims that Laundry Service tried to blackmail the pizza chain for $6 million to keep quiet about his use of the N-word during an answer to a question over whether he's a racist. He also says that he refused to work with Kanye West over the artist's use of the N-word.

Schnatter resigned his post last week at the behest of Papa John's board after confirming the Forbes' report. However, he said the comments were taken out of context and that he was provoked into using the N-word after Laundry Service executives on the call suggested the pizza chain bring on performer Kanye West as a co-spokesman for television spots and promotions.

Schnatter said he refused to work with West because "he uses the 'N' word in his lyrics," according to the letter. It was later on the call that Schnatter said he used the actual word when pressed whether or not he was a racist. -CNBC

"I then said something on the order of, Colonel Sanders used the word 'N,' (I actually used the word,) that I would never use that word and Papa John’s doesn’t use that word," Schnatter told the board. "Let me be very clear: I never used the 'N' word in that meeting as a racial epithet, nor would I ever."

During the market call, Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where he said people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, the source said.

Schnatter reiterated his side of events in the letter, stating that Laundry Service was brought in to conduct a "diversity media training" session ahead of a conference he was attending.

He said Papa John's fired Laundry Service the day after the call took place, but still owed the media agency about $1.3 million. Schnatter said the agency requested $6 million "because they claimed some of their people had been offended by what I had said," he wrote.

One their attorneys threatened "a smear campaign" if Papa John's didn't pay up, Schnatter said, adding that the company ultimately paid Laundry Service $2.5 million. -CNBC

"I will not allow either my good name or the good name of the company I founded and love to be unfairly tainted,” Schnatter told the board - which he criticized for forcing his resignation as chairman before conducting a detailed investigation into a Wednesday Forbes article detailing his use of the N-word.

“The board asked me to step down as chairman without apparently doing any investigation," Schnatter said in the letter obtained by CNBC. "I agreed, though today I believe it was a mistake to do so. I have checked with corporate governance experts who tell me that this was not a proper action by the Board."

Glaser, Schnatter's lawyer, warned the board in a separate letter sent Sunday against removing him altogether after several directors questioned whether he should give up his seat, she said. Glaser told CNBC the board doesn't have authority to remove him without shareholder approval.

That would be a tough vote to win since Schnatter owns almost 30 percent of the outstanding shares, according to FactSet. Glaser asked the board to open an investigation into the call and subsequent events. -CNBC

On Sunday the pizza chain announce that Schnatter was prohibited from speaking to the press, and that in addition to being removed from promotional materials, he had his office space revoked at its Louisville, Kentucky, headquarters.

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Sunday the pizza chain announce that Schnatter was prohibited from speaking to the press, and that in addition to being removed from promotional materials, he had his office space revoked at its Louisville, Kentucky, headquarters.

He's their largest shareholder. They've already booted him from the building. Now they want to revoke the first amendment?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He's their largest shareholder. They've already booted him from the building. Now they want to revoke the first amendment?

I think maybe I've missed something. He doesn't work for PJ's anymore at all, right?

And they think they still have some authority to restrict his speech?

Confused

- - - - - -

Edit: maybe this is the part I missed?

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Glaser, Schnatter's lawyer, warned the board in a separate letter sent Sunday against removing him altogether after several directors questioned whether he should give up his seat, she said. Glaser told CNBC the board doesn't have authority to remove him without shareholder approval.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What First Amendment?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

What First Amendment?

A lot of people don't really understand what the 1st Amendment is all about.

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
He said he doesn’t use the N word but then he used it? I have to question this guy’s intelligence a bit. He got baited and fell right into the trap. It sucks but how many out there would use the N word in a work setting in any context? I know if I let one fly, I would immediately start packing up my stuff once I got back to my desk.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety Tip:
Just purge your language of the N-word, the C-word, and the F-word.
Yeah....you don't have to, but your life will be a lot simpler and happier. Wink

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
He said he doesn’t use the N word but then he used it? I have to question this guy’s intelligence a bit. He got baited and fell right into the trap. It sucks but how many out there would use the N word in a work setting in any context? I know if I let one fly, I would immediately start packing up my stuff once I got back to my desk.

What he did equates to reading Huck Finn out loud.
Sensitive snowflakes need to toughen up. And people need to stop "apologizing" (appeasing) the perpetually offended.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post