SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found a fish - Update - I was right!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found a fish - Update - I was right! Login/Join 
posted
That did not belong here. The ocean was just way too calm this morning, so before work I grabbed the mask and fins and spent a half hour snorkeling off the beach. And what do a see? possibly a Lagoon Trigger fish from the Pacific. Crazy thing, I knew it was a trigger fish but not one I had ever seen before, plus, it was reacting to me completely different than the other fish on the reef.

Reached out to a professor I know at NSU Marine school to report it. Filled out a report, spoke to the Director of Special Projects Reef Environmental Education Foundation. Based on my description they are pretty sure of my ID, plus they was it was acting is clear it was a fish tank release.

They are going out tomorrow, lets hope they can capture it! Why the fuck people release non-native species into our area I will never know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Southflorida-law,

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Name it Wanda.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
It just wanted a hug...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why the fuck people release non-native species into our area I will never know.

Because they are selfish dumbasses. Someone put spotted bass in the lake here and now the smallmouth are getting crowded out. Also they put blue back herring in and the white bass have all but disappeared. People don't know what adding a new species does to the ecosystem, which is fuck it up.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically those things grant three wishes when found.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If it is a metallic cartridge trigger fish, squeeze it. If its a shot shell trigger, pull it. Seriously, I never heard of a trigger fish.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Only if you rub it the right way

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Did it taste like chicken?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Name it Wanda.

Name it Dory.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31433 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Only if you rub it the right way

I've been known to grant three wishes after that....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Why the fuck people release non-native species into our area I will never know.

We're neighbors. Why they sell invasive species to anyone that walks in a pet store with money is an even bigger question. Between the Lionfish on the reefs, the iguana's and tree frogs in everyones backyards, tilapia, those crazy walking catfish things, and pythons in the everglades, Florida's natural animals and ecosystem are taking a beating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Or as we call it Humuhumunukunukuapua’a Smile

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
A refugee from the Diver Dan cartoon.

Yes, people are stupid.

If there is only one then it can't reproduce and will probably just die off.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wouldn't have known enough that it was out of place, or would have thought to report it. Good for you

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
It’s the climate change.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got an email from a person at USGS, they found the fish today and captured it!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Let's hope it was a loner.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Got an email from a person at USGS, they found the fish today and captured it!

Was it really a Humuhumunukunukuapua’a?

Mrs.BurtonRW has been enamored with them since we came back from Hawaii in October. Pretty cool to swim with them in the correct ocean.

As a complete aside, the National Aquarium (Baltimore) has one (poor little lonely guy) in their Blacktip Reef tank. We make sport of finding him. He usually comes out to say hi.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank God they caught it. Maybe the liquor store robberies in that area will taper off now.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
plus they was it was acting is clear it was a fish tank release.

So how exactly do fish tank release fish act? Does it swim up to you and tap on your mask glass?

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post