SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    going to FL, gun carrying question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

going to FL, gun carrying question Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted
Now, I know my conceal license is valid, but what about long gun storage? Due to our house being built, I have no where reliable to leave my long guns. Does FL get weird about this?

And how do you train for concealed carry draw? And best placement for one? I open carry, as that is part of the job I do. So I have little knowledge of actual CC practices

Edit. I'm going for vacation, and our house in GA is being built. So they are staying in my car while that happens.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fatmanspencer,

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Where are you headed in Florida? Your Georgia license is good until you take up residence. No restrictions on storage of long guns other than keeping them away from children or others who should not have them. Jon Guttmacher's book 9th edition on Florida firearms law and US Law Shield's book are very informative. Florida Statutes Chapter 790 is the statute you need to be familiaf with. You will find Florida quite gun friendly.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
A bank we use to use had your typical safe deposit boxes, that you normally see, but also had a section of large ones, that you could put long guns in very easily.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
And how do you train for concealed carry draw?

Just like an open carry draw... Practice.

Dry fire/draw practice at home. Live fire/draw practice at the range.

The only added step over an open carry draw is moving the concealing garment out of the way. This involves either lifting the side of the shirt up, or sweeping an open jacket or open button-down shirt rearwards.

quote:
And best placement for one?

On or just behind the strong side hip is what works best for many folks, and that's what most holsters are set up for. ~3:00-4:00 position. Especially since they're already used to carrying openly in that position, and already practice drawing from that position.

You can play around with alternate strong side locations, like 1:00-2:00 appendix carry or 4:00-5:00 behind the hip carry, but those will require extra training since it sounds like you have no experience drawing from those positions. They also require slightly different styles of holsters.

There are also some other nontraditional positions, like crossdraw, small of the back, shoulder, pocket, and ankle carry, but all of those require specialized holsters, and have some drawbacks compared to the more traditional strong side locations, in my opinion.

However, concealed carry is very subjective. Each person's body and clothing choices are different, so nobody can really say exactly what kind of holster and what position will work best for you. That's something that you'll need to figure out on your own, through trial and error, and experience.

I'd strongly suggest seeking out some additional in-person training, either from a concealed carry instructor, or from some more experienced concealed carriers you know.

quote:
I open carry, as that is part of the job I do. So I have little knowledge of actual CC practices

I'm a little surprised that you have zero concealed carry experience. Here, off duty concealed carry is covered briefly in our police academy. It's then expanded on during FTO, as nearly every agency I'm familiar with strongly recommends that all their sworn officers carry concealed off duty. There are also several local agencies that offer further "Off Duty Encounters" classes or similar concealed carry training classes.

Are you a POST certified LEO, or still a jailer?

quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
A bank we use to use had your typical safe deposit boxes, that you normally see, but also had a section of large ones, that you could put long guns in very easily.

Most banks specifically prohibit firearms in safe deposit boxes.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
And how do you train for concealed carry draw?
Just like an open carry draw... Practice.
Practice is the answer. Most (all?) of the open-to-the-public ranges that I have been to, here in the Central Florida area, outdoor and especially indoor, prohibit shooting with draw from the holster. At these ranges your pistol is either in your hand pointed at the target, or on the bench in front of you, unloaded, chamber clear, with action open and a chamber flag inserted.

The preceding is true, as I said, for public access ranges. Membership club ranges are a different story. The club that I belong to (along with several other SIGforum members) allows shooting with draw from holster, rapid fire, shooting at multiple targets, shooting while moving, shooting from concealment, etc., as long as these actions are done safely. All of them are prohibited at any (every) public access range that I have been to.

Mr. Spencer did not say what part of Florida he is relocating to. If he is going to be anywhere within striking distance of the area just north of Orlando, he is welcome to be my guest at the Eustis Gun Club, where he can practice his concealed carry defensive shooting. The IDPA matches that are held at the club first Saturday of every month are great practice too, and are open to anyone who wants to participate.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Most (all?) of the open-to-the-public ranges that I have been to, here in the Central Florida area, outdoor and especially indoor, prohibit shooting with draw from the holster.

Same here in AR. However, you can still do draw practice at home, just like dry-firing at home.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad NW FL has some good ranges that allow open / concealed carry at the range, as well as drawing from either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

quote:
I open carry, as that is part of the job I do. So I have little knowledge of actual CC practices

I'm a little surprised that you have zero concealed carry experience. Here, off duty concealed carry is covered briefly in our police academy. It's then expanded on during FTO, as nearly every agency I'm familiar with strongly recommends that all their sworn officers carry concealed off duty. There are also several local agencies that offer further "Off Duty Encounters" classes or similar concealed carry training classes.

Are you a POST certified LEO, or still a jailer?

Jailer. Any range time we get through the job is always open, and I understand the need, but even 30 minutes outta a 8 hour class should be for concealed. So all my practical is open.

I also realize, I'm not relocating, which reading I realize that. I'm going for a weeks vacation, which is why I worried about the longguns. All but the shotgun are patrol ready, and in gun bags.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jailer. Any range time we get through the job is always open, and I understand the need, but even 30 minutes outta a 8 hour class should be for concealed. So all my practical is open.

Gotcha. I guess I can understand agencies not spending much time on concealed carry training for their jailers. Hopefully if you do get certified at a later date, you'll have access to some extra off duty carry training.

In the meantime, get with some of the experienced officers in your area for some advice, and/or seek out a non-LE concealed carry instructor for some additional help.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Are you asking if it's safe or legal to leave your long guns in your car while on vacation?

Do you not have one friend you can leave them with while your house is under construction, and simultaneously go on vacation?

It seems very unwise to leave weapons unattended, regardless of locale.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
May I suggest you remove any markings on your vehicle such as FOP medallions, NRA, etc. Even Yetistickers and such are being targeted for vehicle break-ins and accompanying firearm thefts. I learned my lesson the hard way. $11,000 worth of loss and damage. I plan on adding a Hornady Vehicle safe. It’s not made to keep out prepared thrived with a bunch of time and concealment in their sides but certainly defend against quick opportunistic theives do I g smash and grabs. Not just for your trip but also for around GA. Just a shared thought.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post