SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did America lose its mind?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did America lose its mind? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Wilson. Absolutely. Period. Hands down.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Be serious.

I'm dead serious.

quote:
If Baucus was so awful, how come his constituents didn't vote for somebody else?

Same reason Ted Kennedy spent his entire adult life in the Senate. Same reason John McCain has been there 30+ years. Same reason.... Shall I go on?

Incumbent Senators get beaten when hell freezes over.

quote:
IOW, if voting by the people doesn't result in your guy winning, then we need to change the rules. Sounds like Hillary!

We didn't change the rules. They did!

All we want to do is put them back the way they were intended.

You're not following me.

If Ted Kennedy was in the Senate all those years, he had the support of the people, and in a state like Mass, the legislature as well. What makes you think the legislature in AZ wouldn't name McCain, and keep on re-electing him?

The 17th Amendment was a reaction to the differences between the states at the time of the ratification and what they had become in the ~100 years since. After several decades of debate and haggling, it was approved by Congress (all Senators selected old style) submitted to the states and ratified fairly promptly. Other than unhappiness by the losers over who wins, I haven't seen any substantive disadvantages of it.

So the rules were one way, then changed, and now you want to change them to your way. Capishe?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
I read that yesterday.

LMFOA. He sandwiched it real nice. Unfortunately, or rather typically, the writer doesn't recognize himself for what he is.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

An early admirer of Mussolini.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I was going to say 22 November 1963 or 20 January 1993 but then again, i forgot about 20 January 1933.

20 January 1933

...and Adolf Hitler was named chancellor of Germany 10 days later.

FYI: The 20th Amendment changed Inauguration Day to the 20th of January in 1937. FDR's first inauguration occurred on March 4, 1933.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The prosperity enjoyed by the past few generations -- especially the Baby Boomers -- was stolen from future generations. All the while, they pretended as if their borrowing-heavy standards of living were the result of sheer genius and intelligence; like trust fund babies who mistake being born on third base for hitting a triple.

Young people have sussed this out; and are now pulling back from many of the principal occupations of their forebears -- like marriage, babies and buying homes and cars. This perplexes older folks, who are beginning to find themselves increasingly at odds with the generations following after them.

Humans can be very very smart, but the flip-side of our ingenuity is our capacity for self-delusion. We’ve very consistently preferred to look past our faults. That can work for a while, but eventually an incomplete view will lead to a complete disaster. For example: depleting our topsoils today to grow more eventually leads to a collapse of our food system tomorrow. Similarly, increasing societal complexity ultimately drains the resources out of an empire, until it withers and fails. Such is what we can learn from history. Each of these examples is rooted in the self-delusion that today's actions don't have real consequences.

Monetary printing experiments like those currently being run by the world’s central banks are the ultimate form of self-delusion. Money is the most potent form of social communication, underlying all contracts and agreements. Violate those and literally everything falls apart, as we are seeing happen in real-time in Venezuela right now.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...08-12/signs-distress

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post