SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone had to use the Michelin tire warranty?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone had to use the Michelin tire warranty? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
EDIT - final update several posts down.

How does it work? I understand pro-rating the treadwear, but are you forced to buy a new set at a reduced price? Do you have to go to the same place you purchased them?

I put Premiere LTX tires on my wife's Forester a little less than a year ago. 28k miles and they are at the wear bars. This is a truck tire on a lightweight vehicle, regularly rotated and aligned.

Needless to say I do not want that same model tire. Costco has a very limited selection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
You will usually get credit towards a new set of the same manufacturer. If you are in good with your tire guy they will often give you the same credit toward a different set. I have a few fleet vehicles for my business so I go to the same Discount Tire. I have never had a problem using any warranty with them either for the same tire or a different set.

Good luck whichever you go. I would start with Costco and see if they give you any other options but like you said, limited choices. You could always call Michelin ans find out what their policy is.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Needless to say I do not want that same model tire. Costco has a very limited selection.

Did you get them at Costco? I'd go back and ask them about it if you did. They are pretty good with returns/issues. They suck at balancing tires but they didn't hesitate to replace one of mine when I had someone else determine it was bad and impossible to balance.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you purchased. But I do know if you purchased from Discount Tire you get a store credit toward any brand tire you want. I have done this a few times. On Michelin and other brands.

And I’ve gotten credit at DT on tires I purchased from a ford dealer out of state. Check with your original seller and go from there.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Purchased at Costco

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Last year I took my truck back to Costco for the Michelins that were dry rotted. 3 years old and 25,000 miles IIRC. Costco prorated the tires, I paid $300 for a new set of Michelins that sold for $820.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Costco should be able to help you out...on a side note, last summer, I was at Discount Tire looking to replace my Michelins w/45k wear and they ended up giving me about $140 credit toward a new set and even though their rebate sale wasn't starting for a week they gave me the rebate credit on the spot!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
28K on a Subaru? Odd. The LTX M/S usually last at least 60k miles on my Crew Cab F250. Occasionally over 70K.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The Accord my son drives had a set of Michelin Defenders that didn't make the mileage warranty. I was out of luck when I missed a few rotations due to car being out of town. Wear was greater for front than back, I suggested they had likely warranted tires with a greater wear difference than those. He acknowledged my point, but offered nothing. Missing rotations gives them an out and they used it. Also at Costco.

First set of Michelins that didn't go 80K for me. I had heard they had missed the rubber compounding on those tires around that time and had some soft ones that didn't last as long. Key part was me missing the rotations.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
28K on a Subaru? Odd. The LTX M/S usually last at least 60k miles on my Crew Cab F250. Occasionally over 70K.

I have those on my other Forester and they still look new. I want those but it will require going to a 65 from a 60 series and a store other than Costco as they do not carry it for me.

The Premiere LTX and Defender LTX are night and day different.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I have those on my other Forester and they still look new. I want those but it will require going to a 65 from a 60 series and a store other than Costco as they do not carry it for me.

The Premiere LTX and Defender LTX are night and day different.

My daughter put the Defender LTX on her CRX Honda. The reps at that Costco seemed pretty firm the Defender LTX was the tire to put on her car. I got the feeling they knew from experience. They gripped awesome in the snow this winter.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the treadwear warranty only covers uneven and unusual wear. If the tires wear evenly but prematurely - that is technically not covered.(Although a decent tire shop will help to make it right if that were to occur)

I buy Michelin so I don't have to worry about the warranty.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Keep in mind that the treadwear warranty only covers uneven and unusual wear. If the tires wear evenly but prematurely - that is technically not covered.(Although a decent tire shop will help to make it right if that were to occur)

I buy Michelin so I don't have to worry about the warranty.

I think you have that backward. They want to see even wear, not wear causes by alignment, tire pressure etc.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of their LT tires but the X tires on my old sedan, showed sidewall dry rot but retained over half the tread at 10 years old. Steers replaced with Cooper CS5s but my drives are fine. 10 Years really makes a statement.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Just had a set of Michelin installed on my Jeep yesterday. Very quiet.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had factory michelins on vehicle and took it to a shop when they needed replaced. They prorated the tires but since I did not purchase them at the shop I had to pay mounting and balancing.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Michelin directly. A buddy of mine had 7 year old michelins that were dry rotting. They were almost worn out tread wise. He called Michelin and they gave him a 50% credit towards new tires.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ Your buddy ripped off Michelin.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^ Your buddy ripped off Michelin.

Michelin had him go to one of their dealers, they inspected them, measured the depth, and told the Michelin rep on the phone the measurements and confirmed the dry rot, and Michelin instructed them to give him 50% off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Got a $405 credit. Changing to the Defender LTX that I have on my other vehicle and love. (Had to go from 60 to 65 series) I think it cost me $215 total.

Apparently the issue with the soft compound in the Premiere line is well known. Michelin just pays them to replace as they come back.

27k and a couple weeks short of one year was absurd.