SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Never been in one personally. I have seen this chain mentioned several times on this forum.

PORTLAND, Ore. – Superstore company Fred Meyer will stop selling guns and ammunition.

The Portland, Oregon,-based chain in a statement Friday said it made the decision after evaluating customer preferences. The company sells guns at nearly 45 of its 132 stores in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska.

"Fred Meyer has made a business decision to exit the firearms category," the company said. "We are currently working on plans to responsibly phase out sales of firearms and ammunition."

The company, a subsidiary of Cincinnati, Ohio,-based Kroger Co., didn't give a timeline in the statement. Fred Meyer spokesman Jeffery Temple in an email to The Associated Press on Saturday said the company wasn't offering interviews.

Fred Meyer stores sell a range of goods that include groceries, clothing, electronics, outdoor equipment, furniture and jewelry. Stores also include pharmacies.

The company said the firearms category represents about $7 million annually of its revenue and sales have been declining.

"We made the decision early last week after evaluating changing customer preferences and the fact that we've been steadily reducing this category in our Fred Meyer stores over the last several years due to softening consumer demand," the company said. "More recently we have been transitioning away from gun departments as a result of our ongoing work to optimize space in our Fred Meyer stores."

Following last month's high school shooting in Parkland, Florida that left 17 people dead, Fred Meyer said it would stop selling firearms to anyone under 21. The company had already stopped selling assault-style guns several years ago, except in Alaska.

Fred Meyer did not mention the school shooting in its statement Friday.

Other stores announced in the wake of that shooting that they would stop selling guns to anyone under 21 including Walmart Inc. and L.L. Bean. Dick's Sporting Goods recently banned sales of assault rifles.

Several outdoor chains, including Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Gander Outdoors and Academy Sports, continue to sell assault-style rifles.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...guns-ammunition.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The more of these "superstores" that exit the firearms market, the better for all the smaller stores--gun stores and otherwise. E.g.: I go into Walmart only for ammo, as a rule. Sometimes I'll pick up other stuff when I'm there. If they were to drop ammo, I'd simply not go there very often, or at all, anymore.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Fred's is owned by Kroger's now.

I've seen the gun counter at Fred Meyer locally. Total of about maybe 15 to 20 handguns and mostly the "best sellers" like Glocks, and some Rugers. A few rifles/shotguns, but again, only a few. But the prices, in particular on ammo was way out of bounds so I never bought anything there.

BIGGER ISSUE: Fred Meyers (Again, owned by Kroger's) is going to stop selling Assault weapon magazines.

Wait, scratch that. Let me reword that...

They are going to stop selling periodicals that contain articles/pictures of Assault Weapons.

Apparently they think such periodicals leads to bad things??

They can do what they want, but thank God I still have Bi-Mart nearby.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed when I saw this yesterday.

Fred Meyer is our go-to shopping place. We love it there and give them A LOT of money. I’ve never bought guns or Ammo there — sometimes I look, though.

It unfortunate that they’re caving to the pressure.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
Fred Meyer was a good store 40 years ago. They have gone downhill ever since Fred passed away. We don't shop there anymore.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I didn't even realize Fred Meyer sold guns, I knew at one point they had ammo, but the extent of pew pews, was BB guns. Then again, I think I've only ever been inside the Puyallup Fred Meyer, and that's been at least a decade.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of the chain, so it's hard to put into the "super" store category. But these companies are so short sighted. Because of a few hundred social media "warriors", they're alienating 5-6 MILLION NRA members, and millions more gun owners. Stupid.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as the print mags go, several publishers have gone out of business and others have gone digital. The print media is dead, I think that was likely more of a business decision than an "ethical" choice.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
That's a bummer, I was always impressed with the gun counters at FMs in Alaska. Guess I'll take my limited business elsewhere next time I'm up there.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Never heard of 'em

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
No Fred Meyers in Florida, so no issue to me. And I too believe the big stores exiting the selling of guns and ammo should be good for the smaller stores and the online businesses. The demand for a product doesn't simply go away because somebody like Fred Meyers opts no longer to sell it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jejb:
Never heard of the chain, so it's hard to put into the "super" store category. But these companies are so short sighted. Because of a few hundred social media "warriors", they're alienating 5-6 MILLION NRA members, and millions more gun owners. Stupid.

Who? I never heard of them either, and I don’t consider myself a shut in.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Never heard of 'em
Pacific Northwest and Alaska brand for Kroger.

It's where I shopped when I lived in Alaska. Think Super Wal-mart with much, much better produce but smaller selection of general merchandise. Their gun counter wasn't big, but in handguns they had 9mm through big bore revolver. I didn't spend much time looking at rifles, but remember them having a Marlin guide gun in .45-70.

I pulled off the trifecta there one night after work as I bought a:
  • steak
  • box of .44 magnum ammo
  • white dress shirt

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post