SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soldering Iron Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldering Iron Suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Might want to check and see if the nuts that hold the tip in the iron are tight this will cause the tip not to heat.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Hakko FX888. We also have some of their cordless FX901's at work. They run off 4 AA batteries and work well for small jobs.

Posts: 917 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a Hakko FX888D that I will heartily recommend.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
I actually bought the Yihua 936 when mine station went out. Although it is not the big name brand, it does exactly what I need it to do. It heats up fast and has gotten really good reviews. For the home hobby user, it fit my needs, especially for the price!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/936B-...8:g:N98AAOSwH2VaGNGS

RBeach

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Mill, SC | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
What would be a good power range for soldering on large battery cable ends?

Posts: 4626 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I had a crappy no-name one. Got tired of it and got a Hakko FX888D. I am much, much happier now. No regrets buying it.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
What would be a good power range for soldering on large battery cable ends?

Those are typically crimped with a hydraulic crimper. A cold weld is formed in the strands and solder is not needed.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

I didn't try tightening anything up since the handle and case got hot enough to throw it on the concrete garage floor in order to avoid a burn. Before that happened the tip had not heated enough to use it with soldering 2 lighter weight metals.

I'm off to the hardware stores tomorrow to handle the suggestions in person.

All of you know ergonomics are very important. Will it feel like a 1911, Glock, S&W Coke Bottle Grips, etc.? Will it be Tactica-cool? Cool

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Buy a used Metcal. You will be very happy with it.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post