SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soldering Iron Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldering Iron Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I have tried searching for this topic and didn't find any replies regarding it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality soldering iron?

I had a Weller that worked when it wanted to. Last night the unit didn't work with solder but sure heated up in my hand quickly. Once it cooled off on the concrete floor it was fixed so it won't heat up anyone else's hand.

Now I need to find a replacement.

Any suggestions from personal experience would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
What do you solder? I solder wires, so 25 watt is ok. Bigger stock, like sheetmetal mAy require 40 watt or more

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Whay kind of soldering? Big stuff, high heat, small, fine work?

I have a Weller 200 watt gun, and a Weller WES51 for electronic stuff.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Depends on what your soldering. For very small stuff (AKA 0201 size surface mount resistors), we use several of the Hakko FX-951 units at work doing rework on SSD components every day. Originally we had Metcal 500's but everyone hated them since the temp is determined by the tip inserts and not adjustable temp ranges.

If you're just doing stuff like automobile wiring, any cheapo 25-40 watt iron will do.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a Weller that I bought in July of 1991 for doing electronics stuff and I was using it two days ago to fabricate some new coax cables for one of my ham radios.

When it craps out, I will buy another Weller.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered this one a couple months ago - Love the variable temp and it heats up QUICK!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added this pack of tips (one is a blade shape that I've used to cut webbing) - works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So much better than my previous Radio Shack soldering station - 20/40watt.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your budget? What do you normally solder? I easily have 20-25 different irons ranging from 24 to 350 watts and really like the Weller WX stations.

A good general purpose higher power to get is a Weller GT- I have 2 and have used them for stained glass and electronics with no complaints and virtually instant heat.

If the budget is bigger, look for a used Weller WD1 or WX1 on ebay- there are a wide variety of irons available to suit any need you might have. If you are patient, $100 should get you a great setup.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Gots to know what you're soldering.

Personally, I've a Weller soldering gun, an Ungar temperature-controlled soldering station, a Wahl cordless soldering iron and, somewhere, a corded soldering pencil (25W or there-abouts, if memory serves). All serve different purposes.

I also have this soldering device that does not, itself, get hot (heats the wires with current--Sears made it, I think) and a soldering iron powered by butane (from HF, I think).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Weller WES51 for electronic stuff.

As an electronics tech repairing a lot of circuit boards I have carried one of these in my tool box for years and it's been pretty good to me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

I do soldering around garage reattaching items that came apart from household use, auto wires for accessories, misc. Nothing heavy duty, currently trying to solder a broken off metal connector that had been previously soldered (not by me)

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
TS100
https://www.amazon.com/UY-CHAN...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Fantastic small iron that'll do more that you can imagine. Run off laptop or similar AC or battery.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t621xQc-xEQ

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Weller and have found that at times the contacts for the resistanceU part that heats get an oxidation. Thanking it off and cleaning the contact points gets it heating properly again.
Pick it up from the floor and check this out.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Hakko FX-888d when I was building my model railroad layout. Being my first real soldering gun, I was pretty impressed.

Hakko

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I bought the same Hakko 888D and absolutely love it. Heats up and cools down really quick, very precise temp control.

This one

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this setup since 2001. Still going strong. https://www.amazon.com/Weller-...eller+soldering+iron

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
If I was doing alot of soldering then Hakko is the way to go, otherwise my Weller's have been working well for me for over 20 yrs.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tenma 48 watt soldering station $81
http://www.newark.com/tenma/21...ation-48w/dp/52F7963

Tenma 60 watt soldering station $69
http://www.newark.com/tenma/21...-safe-60w/dp/56T2208

Milwaukee portable soldering iron (bare tool $69 kit $129)
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/...7H7pd1hoCBSMQAvD_BwE

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Timely question. The wife just managed to lose my small soldering iron that I've had for over thirty-five years. I'm contemplating one of the 25 or 40 watt Wellers.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Weller is still good. I went with Hakko. They have small Dash irons to bigger variable stations. This is for soldering wires.

For desoldering those high watt pistol irons are good.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a Weller that worked when it wanted to.

Weller is practically a genericized trademark for soldering equipment.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post