SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planned Parenthood Removes Leana Wen as President
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planned Parenthood Removes Leana Wen as President Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
She was kept comfortable while a conversation ensued on her viability as president.

After the conversation it was determined to terminate her employment after 9 months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...thood-leana-wen.html

Planned Parenthood Removes Leana Wen as President

Planned Parenthood on Tuesday removed its president after less than a year in the job, seeking new leadership at a time when abortion rights have come under increasing attack from statehouses and Republicans in Washington.

The move came after hours of negotiations Tuesday between the board of directors and the president, Leana Wen, according to two people familiar with the decision.

Dr. Wen had been the first physician to lead the organization in decades. The people familiar with the move said there had been internal strife over her management, and that the group felt it needed a more aggressive political leader to fight the efforts to roll back access to abortions.

The board voted unanimously on Tuesday to appoint Alexis McGill Johnson, the co-founder of the Perception Institute, an anti-bias research group, to temporarily replace Dr. Wen, the people said. Ms. McGill will serve as acting president and chief executive of both Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the nonprofit that provides health care services, and Planned Parenthood Action Fund, its political arm.

Dr. Wen wrote on Twitter after the news broke: “I just learned that the @PPFA Board ended my employment at a secret meeting. We were engaged in good faith negotiations about my departure based on philosophical differences over the direction and future of Planned Parenthood.”

In a joint statement, Aimee Cunningham and Jennie Rosenthal, the chairwomen of the two Planned Parenthood boards, said, “We thank Dr. Leana Wen for her service to Planned Parenthood in such a pivotal time and extend our best wishes for her continued success.”

Ms. McGill Johnson has served on Planned Parenthood’s board for nearly a decade, including previously as its chairwoman.

“I am proud to step in to serve as acting president and facilitate a smooth leadership transition in this critical moment for Planned Parenthood and the patients and communities we serve,’’ Ms. McGill Johnson said in a statement. “I thank Dr. Wen for her service and her commitment to patients.”

Dr. Wen’s brief tenure — she was appointed last September — has coincided with a fraught moment for abortion rights advocates, as Republican-controlled statehouses in Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, Louisiana and Missouri have all advanced legislation to restrict abortion, and in some cases effectively ban the procedure altogether.

The legislative push gained momentum after Brett M. Kavanaugh replaced Anthony M. Kennedy on the Supreme Court, giving conservatives a possible fifth vote to uphold new limits on abortion. The efforts have alarmed abortion rights groups worried about a challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling that established federal protections for abortions.

Dr. Wen, a 36-year-old former health commissioner in Baltimore, was among Time magazine’s 100 most influential people earlier this year. But inside Planned Parenthood, there had been significant turnover at the top of the organization since her arrival.

She replaced the group’s longtime leader, Cecile Richards, who had been a forceful voice on the national stage for women in general and abortion rights in particular.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leana Wen

Seems she objects to the way she was prematurely and without warning terminated.....how ironic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
LOL, they aborted her term because she refused to say trans can't have abortions...Imagine trying to satirize these nutjobs nowadays. Can't be done.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
LOL, they aborted her term because she refused to say trans can't have abortions...Imagine trying to satirize these nutjobs nowadays. Can't be done.

And I'm the science denier? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
“Terminated after 9 months.” How ironic!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:

And I'm the science denier? Roll Eyes

No kidding. Holy God is right.

A certified MD vs certified nuts...and the lunatics win. Unreal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The trans shit trumps years, decades of work by feminists who, whether I agree with their politics or not, have worked to improve the status of women.
Same with Title IX and athletics.
Shot to hell by the wokest of the woke.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
What they don’t understand is that we don’t want to take their abortions. All we want is some reasonable, commonsense restrictions.
Has that been said before?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
They are eating themselves. This is wonderful.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't give a flying f*&k about abortions

I just don't want my tax dollars being used to support the procedures

if you can't keep your legs together, then pay for the consequences yourself, but leave my money out of it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

if you can't keep your legs together, then pay for the consequences yourself, but leave my money out of it

I'm for the government paying for abortions. Because as taxpayers, we only pay once. Instead of a lifetime of payments (welfare, food stamps, etc.)

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I think it was James Woods who once asked:
How can your reproductive rights at the same time be:
A: None of my business
B: My financial responsibility

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm for the government paying for abortions. Because as taxpayers, we only pay once. Instead of a lifetime of payments (welfare, food stamps, etc.)

Then twaddle your ass down there to PP & cut a check so that they can all have abortions on your dime.

Of wait, you mean you want all the OTHER tax payers to pay for all abortions.

If you support abortions, pay for them yourself. Quit insisting that everyone has to pay them thru taxes taken at the point of a gun. Step up & finance all the abortions you want, yourself.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I'm for the government paying for abortions.
The "government" doesn't pay. Where does the money come from?

Hint: Do you work for yours, or did you inherit a farm full of money trees?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

So if the Government pays for an abortion, the aborted won't ever need the government assistance they were probably going to take anyway.

Huh. Big Margaret Sanger fan eh?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
“Terminated after 9 months.” How ironic!

Yep! Eek

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
They are eating themselves. This is wonderful.
Absolutely. Give them mics and 24/7 airtime.

It's like a pack of dogs eating one another.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post