SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two [reportedly] Black Cooks Fired For Making 'Racist' Meal At NYU
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two [reportedly] Black Cooks Fired For Making 'Racist' Meal At NYU Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Two African American [race actually not confirmed] cooks working for Aramark at NYU have been fired by the food service after preparing a meal during Black History Month that was deemed "racially insensitive."

According to CBS News, the two cooks were fired as a result of a complaint by a sophomore, who says she confronted the head cook about the "racially insensitive" meal but was "lied to" and ultimately "ignored." The meal, the student claimed in a Facebook post, consisted of barbecue ribs, collard greens, watermelon-flavored water, Kool-Aid, and mac and cheese.

"Sophomore Nia Harris, who is black, said the head cook dismissed her objections and told her black employees planned the menu," reports CBS News. "She posted about the menu and her experience on Facebook, saying she 'was lied to, placated, and ignored.'"

"This is what it's like to be a black student at New York University," Nia wrote in her Facebook post. "You go to a dining hall during February and you see 'Black History Month Meal' plastered outside the entrance. You walk inside the dining hall only to find ribs, collard greens, and mac and cheese.

"In 2018 I literally had to explain why displaying watermelon and koolaid in celebration of Black History Month was not only racially insensitive but just ignorant."

n response to the student's public condemnation of the meal, Aramark issued a statement apologizing and announcing that they fired the employees responsible for the "independent" decision to put together the menu. Here's the full statement:

We have zero tolerance for any employee who does not adhere to our values or contradicts our longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion. Employees at NYU who acted independently and did not follow our approved plan for the celebration of Black History Month have been terminated and are no longer with the company. We are extremely disappointed by this regrettable situation and apologize to the entire NYU community and communities everywhere for their insensitive and offensive actions. We are re-training all our NYU campus employees to ensure an incident like this is not repeated.

The incident also prompted a public apology from NYU President Andrew Hamilton, who said the menu was "inexcusably insensitive." Here is Hamilton's full statement, which includes another statement from Aramark saying they had suspended the director of Weinstein dining for "insensitive and offensive actions":

We were shocked to learn of the drink and food choices that our food service provider -- Aramark -- offered at the Weinstein dining hall as part of Black History Month. It was inexcusably insensitive. That error was compounded by the insensitivity of the replies made to a student who asked Aramark staff on site how the choices were made.

In response, Aramark has suspended the director of Weinstein dining, is investigating how this happened, will be putting in place sensitivity training for staff, and has rightly issued an apology:

"We apologize for an inexcusable menu mistake that occurred at Downstein. We are extremely disappointed by the insensitive and offensive actions taken by one of our employees who did not follow policy and processes. The individual acted independently in a way that runs counter to our values and compromised our longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion. We have suspended the employee pending a full investigation. We are also re-training all employees to ensure a regrettable incident like this is not repeated. Again, we apologize for the mistake and commit to do better in the future." -- Victoria Pasquale, Regional Vice President, Aramark

We are grateful to the students who brought this to the attention of the University. We are extremely dissatisfied with Aramark's actions in this instance. The drink and food choices for this meal were not discussed with NYU beforehand. NYU's dining administrators will insist that Aramark put in place a mechanism to avoid a repeat of yesterday's episode, such as consulting the existing student advisory body and campus cultural groups about the menu for special events.

link

Over-reactions everywhere. I thought the Kool-aid was a great comedic touch. People need to lighten the F up.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
FYI I read several news stories on this and nowhere is the race of the cooks stated. It would be ironic, if true... but there is no corroboration to be found.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When did good old soul food become offensive?

I would have asked for double helpings.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What the flying fuck?

So for the whole month of February, people can't eat "black people food"?

Who the hell doesn't like ribs, greens and mac n' cheese? Those foods are very popular in the south. Mac n' cheese is very popular among kids from all over.

Dumb fucks are looking for reasons to be offended.

I also blame the university and the food service company for overreacting. Totally ridiculous. I hope those two end up finding better jobs very soon and share this story. I hope that "student" is crucified and never finds gainful employment.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good grief, that was an excellent meal. This can't possibly be sustainable.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
FYI I read several news stories on this and nowhere is the race of the cooks stated. It would be ironic, if true... but there is no corroboration to be found.

Thank you for pointing this out. The head cook claimed the menu planners were black, but that's unconfirmed. I edited the title and lead sentence.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Being white, am I allowed to eat these things in front of my black friends?
Also, I'm a Yank, so no collar greens will be involved, if that matters.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was raised in the North, and am White, and I like collard greens! I think that was a fine meal, and the person who complained should be forced to eat it without speaking.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...530011834#6530011834

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Unless the food was spat upon, I think the menu was made with good intentions.

The only thing I would consider tacky and I sometimes suggest it as a joke is when people from other countries visit me and I offer to take them here in the US to a restaurant of their country.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had no idea. DQ'd due to ambiguous thread title. Wink

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Of course those cooks should have been fired.

They did not include fried chicken.
A reminder to any student who does not like the menu selection: You are in New York. There are few, if any, cities in the world that offer a more diverse selection of food. If you don't like what's on the menu at one place, you don't have to go very far to find a lot of different choices. When I worked in the city, I frequently enjoyed what I called "sidewalk lunches." Vendors with carts, offering many choices.

But no, snowflake has to make a fuss and get people fired for being a little creative. I hope that this sticks with her and any potential employers in her future consider this, and ask themselves: "Do we really want to hire a trouble-making rabble rouser?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I had the same meal here in the South just yesterday, plus fried okra catfish and chicken. Pepper sauce must be served with greens. Watermelon is out of season or it would have been on the buffet. I am highly offended that my cuisine has been labeled racist. Where do I complain?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Had no idea. DQ'd due to ambiguous thread title. Wink
Oy! I missed the other one at first, too.

How many times do we have to be told that the title needs to be informative about the thread contents? Title of this thread is good. Title of other thread, "Snowflakes on the March," is certainly true, but gives us nary a clue what the thread is about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two African American [race actually not confirmed] cooks

Kind of irrelevant don't you think.
Did they identify as African Americans?

It's all about how you feel, we can be anything we want.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great meal! I don't understand the problem.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

First thing that I thought.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

First thing that I thought.

LOL!! Big Grin

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
When did good old soul food become offensive?

I would have asked for double helpings.

ditto,

I can think of a dozen or so local places that I could walk into and get a similar meal today,

minus the watermelon koolaid,,,,
menu should have had sweet tea on it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a meal that I will never forget. I had planned a trip from home near the Orlando FL area to eastern Ohio for a visit with the kids / grandkids. My autopilot had been acting up and the avionics shop at Lowe Aviation at the Macon GA airport had a good reputation for working with Century autopilots, so I made an appointment to stop in on my way to Ohio.

The shop guy said it would probably take about an hour to diagnose the problem and suggested that I go grab some lunch. The gals at the front counter offered the use of a courtesy car and showed me a list of restaurants in the area, or said if I wanted some "real good home cooking" I could walk over to the passenger terminal where two black ladies had a lunch counter.

I walked over, gave the ladies a ten dollar bill, and got a platter of fried chicken, vegetables, a large portion of peach cobbler, and enough iced tea for a Sahara crossing. Also got a bunch of change back from the $10.00.

Everything was fresh, home made, and absolutely fantastic. I salivate every time I think of that meal. It should be served every day during Black History month, and offered on every day that is in any calendar month.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים