SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boot care products
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boot care products Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
It’s been quite a while since I have had some nice boots.

I ordered a pair and wondering what is good these days. Looking for waterproofing and polish.

They are made with Bison leather.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Pecard products on my full quill ostrich Luccheses.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Kiwi makes a decent leather conditioner and Herman Survivor makes a Beeswax conditioner that are both available at Walmart.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What kind of "boots" are we talking about? Fancy cowboy boots? Hiking boots? Snow packs?

I've never used anything but Huberd's Shoe Grease on both hiking boots and Sorels. IMO, it's the best stuff out there and has been for 100 or so years. (Others will probably disagree. Wink)

Here's a decent write-up on some different treatments.

https://dalehavencox.weebly.co...-and-best-price.html

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mink oil, Red Wing boot oil, and the like for me.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
A pair of Sunday go to meeting boots ftom Luchess.
They are American Bison.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Might be worthwhile checking with the manufacturer for their recommendation.

https://www.lucchese.com/faq

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Might be worthwhile checking with the manufacturer for their recommendation.

https://www.lucchese.com/faq

Yep. Boot oil is for working boots. Yours uses a conditioning creme. 'Course, you needn't take my word for it. Jerry Hill will give you all the boot facts you can ever imagine exist.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
Bick 4 is excellent. Easy to use. Rub it on by hand. Inside and out at least once a month. Dries in a coupe minutes and boots stay looking like new. Good stuff.

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
On dressier boots, I like shoe creams like Meltonian. If you want to put more of a shine on them, finish with some old fashioned paste wax shoe polish. Lincoln's is good, but plain old Kiwi is fine. Some exotics are better off without wax, but bison can be polished if you want. Bison often has a pebbled finish, so you may not want those too shiny. Show cream will be good.

Only work or hunting boots need Mink Oil or other heavy waterproofing treatments.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post