SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour de France, 2020 – Pogacar wins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France, 2020 – Pogacar wins Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Tadej Pogacar is set to win the Tour de France ahead of strong favourite Primoz Roglic in one of the most dramatic turnarounds in the race's history.

Pogacar, 21, will be confirmed as the youngest winner for 111 years at the end of Sunday's largely processional stage to Paris.

The UAE-Team Emirates rider overhauled a 57-second deficit to Roglic, who was thought to be a far stronger rider on stage 20's time trial to La Planche des Belles Filles…”

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54186014

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Two Slovanians on the podium!

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
One of if not the best Tours I've ever watched.

Today was nuts. I still can't believe what I saw.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of if not the best Tours I've ever watched.

This.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I lost interest for a few years when Sky started their domination with Wiggins/Froome. Seemed less of the aggressive style of the years before & more steady pace teamwork. Wins races but less engaging to watch.

May have to look back into it if its improving.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roglic was surrounded by a strong team throughout the entire TdeF, while Pogacar lost some of his team, so Roglic's team could cover any of Pogacar's attacks in the mountains. I almost wonder if Pogacar knew this, and knew just to keep it close so he could go all out on the time trial. Incredible performance by the young rider.

I'm glad they were able to hold the race this year, even if it were two months late.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
Roglic was surrounded by a strong team throughout the entire TdeF, while Pogacar lost some of his team, so Roglic's team could cover any of Pogacar's attacks in the mountains. I almost wonder if Pogacar knew this, and knew just to keep it close so he could go all out on the time trial. Incredible performance by the young rider.

I'm glad they were able to hold the race this year, even if it were two months late.

Durn...Sorry I missed the race, I figured they had canceled it. Was it televised ?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Durn...Sorry I missed the race, I figured they had canceled it. Was it televised ?

Same as always, yes. I thought about posting a reminder at the beginning but...well, I guess I just forgot. Great coverage this year. The riders were tested weekly, and had a certain amount tested positive, the tour would've been canceled. Thankfully that didn't happen.

The racing schedule is very condensed this year, so there'll be more coming up in the next few weeks. The World Championships is in Italy and is next week i tbink, and then the Giro kicks off.

The final stage in Paris is on NBC Sports right now by the way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Same as always, yes. I thought about posting a reminder at the beginning but...well, I guess I just forgot. Great coverage this year. The riders were tested weekly, and had a certain amount tested positive, the tour would've been canceled. Thankfully that didn't happen.

The racing schedule is very condensed this year, so there'll be more coming up in the next few weeks. The World Championships is in Italy and is next week i tbink, and then the Giro kicks off.

The final stage in Paris is on NBC Sports right now by the way.

I wish you had posted about the race being run.
I enjoy the race, not so much a team follower, but love seeing the teamwork, and bikes.

Also, I love seeing the French countryside and towns, this would have been a different slant, seeing it later in the season.

It would have been a great respite from me watching the Weather Channel, there is nothing out there in TV wasteland that interests me anymore.

Perhaps I misssed it, I saw no mention of the race on any news feeds I read on the Internet.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some of the best mountain stages i remember over the last several years.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Condensed stage by stage report:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/53887669

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
That was an incredible time trial by Pogacar, one that will live on in Tour lore for decades to come. Roglic didn't have a terrible ride. Not as good as hoped for, but good enough to hold on most years against most riders. But Pogacar is not most riders, and this is certainly not most years.

The only sad note for me is that, because this is cycling, I can't help but view any superhuman effort like this with a tinge of suspicion.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
Perhaps I misssed it, I saw no mention of the race on any news feeds I read on the Internet.

BBC News, which occasionally has an interesting story on its main news channels, has a channel dedicated to Cycling.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Punching above their weight for being such a tiny country. Wasn't too long ago they were behind Tito's curtain.

Luka Doncic, Tina Maze, Goran Dragic, there's a few good ones.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Punching above their weight for being such a tiny country. Wasn't too long ago they were behind Tito's curtain.

Luka Doncic, Tina Maze, Goran Dragic, there's a few good ones.

Being his typical Eastern European, stoic self, Pogacar had my favorite quote of the tour. When asked by the interviewer before a particularly tough mountain stage if he would try to take back time on the climb, he answered something like, "if my legs feel good, I'll go for more time; if not, I'll just stay with the best." Basically saying, if I'm not feeling 100%, I'll just hang out and stay with the top riders in the world.

The kid (well, young man) has some confidence, that's for sure. And for good reason.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Being his typical Eastern European, stoic self, Pogacar had my favorite quote of the tour. When asked by the interviewer before a particularly tough mountain stage if he would try to take back time on the climb, he answered something like, "if my legs feel good, I'll go for more time; if not, I'll just stay with the best." Basically saying, if I'm not feeling 100%, I'll just hang out and stay with the top riders in the world.

The kid (well, young man) has some confidence, that's for sure. And for good reason.

He was an animal, and surprisingly young, he just turned 22 today, birthday on 9/21. Most tour winners tend to be seasoned pro's in their late 20's at-least, most into their 30's. He's got a very bright future.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
He's got a very bright future.

I believe he does as well. However, the same thing was said about Egan Bernal after he won the Tour last year...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)