SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carpenters and handy folks, lend me your ears UPDATE with Stain question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpenters and handy folks, lend me your ears UPDATE with Stain question Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My only regret is not gluing down the treads. I only used finish nails. Damn stairs creak.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
My only regret is not gluing down the treads. I only used finish nails. Damn stairs creak.

I'll be nailing and gluing when I get to that point. The substrate treads were installed a few weeks ago and I'm waiting a little bit on the finished treads because the lumber is spendy.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a Menards locally they have Pine treads for $9 or so... I'm planning to use these when I redo the stairs in the house I'm selling (currently carpet over old busted fir treads).

They'll be stained/finished in the garage and then cut to fit/installed with construction adhesive and finish nails.

Pine tread

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Are there any secrets like working top down or bottom up?

Work from the bottom up unless you are an extremely tall person. Smile

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Small update: I purchased the oak for the treads and risers. I'm going to start cutting tomorrow and taking my time. I have a jig to help with the angles.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
It's my plan to start from the bottom with he first riser, then tread, but should the next riser sit atop the back side of the first tread or behind the tread? OR does it not matter? I've seen both ways online with no clear right or wrong.

NRA Life Member

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Without knowing everything you have going on. And I have only done stringers, treads, and risers twice in my life. I would place the risers first, this will allow you cut them a little short, 1/8 or 1/4, whatever you are comfortable with. Align them with the stringer. Then come back and place the treads. This will also hide the seam when you are looking at them as you go up the stairs. So start with 2 risers and then a tread. Riser, tread from there on until you get the top. This is just my .02 someone may very well have a better strategy.

Good luck!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
I would place the risers first, this will allow you cut them a little short, 1/8 or 1/4, whatever you are comfortable with. Align them with the stringer. Then come back and place the treads. This will also hide the seam when you are looking at them as you go up the stairs. So start with 2 risers and then a tread. Riser, tread from there on until you get the top.

I think this is the usually the preferred method because then you are not looking at a dozen possibly imperfect seams when you are standing at the bottom of the stair looking up.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Cutting and dry fitting.

NRA Life Member

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm fucking smoked, but everything is dry fitted. I'll be bulldozing and sanding some other day. Its' time for a drink.

NRA Life Member

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Nice, I took the easy way out and had mine re-carpeted since I have enough pending projects as it is.

What finishes are you planning on using to protect the treads and risers?

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Nice, I took the easy way out and had mine re-carpeted since I have enough pending projects as it is.

What finishes are you planning on using to protect the treads and risers?

Not sure. I'll head to HD tomorrow and get some poly and a few stains. I probably won't be staining for another few weeks.

NRA Life Member

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Looking for some pointers on staining. I sanded all my treads down to a 220 grit and still need to sand the risers but I'm playing with some different colors of stain.
I'm using red oak wood:
Do I need to treat/condition the wood before staining?
Is there a difference in the finished product between applying stain with a brush versus a rag?

Ive never stained before so any general pointers are appreciated. I plan to finish the stairs with a polyurethane once i'm done staining.

NRA Life Member

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I follow what this guy says pretty closely, find a poly that is for floors or steps.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt7lrXy7D9A

Use a couple test pieces to get the shade right, and to get the process down. Stain everything in one sitting if you can. Use a vacuum or an air hose to decontaminate the surface as much as you can. I go back over mine with a damp cloth, not sopping wet but rung out pretty good. Make sure the wood is dry before you apply the stain. Personally I like to use a foam brush to apply stain, then wipe with a clean rag.

Good luck!

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Here is a better more detailed video for stair treads.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_GWXcydu5k

posted Hide Post
that stair tread jig is awesome. I could definitely use something like that for some projects I do.

Never knew such a thing existed. I usually do the cardboard or scrapwood template. Sometimes use a couple pieces and screw together to make something similar to that.

I googled stair tread jig and up it popped. Man I could have used that thing the last few years.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
that stair tread jig is awesome. I could definitely use something like that for some projects I do.

Never knew such a thing existed. I usually do the cardboard or scrapwood template. Sometimes use a couple pieces and screw together to make something similar to that.

I googled stair tread jig and up it popped. Man I could have used that thing the last few years.

It's a fantastic tool. It was $100 on amazon but I can assure you it made what could have been a very frustrating project for someone like me quite enjoyable. It also saved me a shit ton of time. It took me about 8 hours to cut the treads/risers and I can assure you it would have been a LOT longer without the jig. I know what my time is worth to me and the jig paid for itself.

NRA Life Member