SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contractors hack vending machines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contractors hack vending machines Login/Join 
posted
Big Grin

For some odd reason I find it very funny. I mean, what happened to the good old days where you smacked the machine in a precise location and at a certain angle. Rites of passage can't keep up with technology.

"Several CIA contractors were kicked out of the agency for stealing more than $3,000 in snacks from vending machines, according to official documents newly obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The thefts took place starting in the fall of 2012 and continued through March 2013, according to a declassified Office of Inspector General report from October 2013. The report is one of hundreds only recently released to BuzzFeed News through a Freedom Of Information Act lawsuit filed in 2015.

The "theft scheme" involved unplugging a cable connecting the machines to an electronic payment system called FreedomPay, and then using "unfunded FreedomPay cards" to buy the snacks at no cost.

After being informed of the thefts, the OIG installed "surveillance cameras at several key vending locations where a high occurrence of thefts were taking place," according to the report..." https://www.buzzfeed.com/jason...9vpb11j3#.oebkzqaaJo

Hack into the machines, don't notice the cameras and leave them undisturbed. Yes, they deserved being kicked out.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Hack into the machines, don't notice the cameras and leave them undisturbed.
You can sleep peacefully tonight. The CIA is protecting the country.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

Men

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Men

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how will they explain that in their statement of qualifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xKyR_Z-wk

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Previous Employer: Central Intelligence Agency
Experience: Bypassing electronic security systems.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We had snack machines in the hangar bay when we were in dry dock. I went to get an ice cream cookie and the machine told me to select price. Apparently the guy left it in program mode. I selected 5c and put in a nickel and got my cookie.

That machine was empty in 5 minutes once I told berthing about it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^

Previous Employer: Central Intelligence Agency
Experience: Bypassing electronic security systems. No experience with video recording devices.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
BREAKING NEWS: CNN
Yes, but did they COLLUDE with the Russians?
And was the Trump team involved?
Will this cause a Ho-Ho shortage?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

No-no...

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Damn, and to think I thought the penny phone call trick was good........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
. . .Hack into the machines, don't notice the cameras and leave them undisturbed. Yes, they deserved being kicked out.

They deserve to be "kicked out" because they're damned thieves. The fact that they're stupid is just a manifestation of the correlation between being a thief and being stupid.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they're damned thieves

Of course. Granted, these were probably tech guys, taking into account the length of time during which they indulged in such delicacies at the same location.

But if they were not tech guys, disregarding the cameras is unforgivable. Dangerous to themselves and others.

posted Hide Post
I was a manufacturing engineering manager for a firm that manufactured vending machines. To test the security the design group ask if we could test a new security feature to see if it could be broken into in less than hour.

I assigned an engineer from Bakersfield, CA originally to test the security. He had coins and cash emptied in 15 minutes.

True story.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
While the tone is to respect the honest vending machines the reality is much different. I've been ripped off so many times that I feel good when someone gets the best of the machines. Once we even had a sign saying "don't kick the machine". Everyone cheated still did. So I propose a compromise. Maybe we should disable any machine that cheats us. Then it would be OK to fire those who cheat the machines.

Long ago we used to eat in a small town over by the Indiana border. It was a Tavern as I understand the term. It had a bar, but eating areas too. For the amusement of children eating with their parents, they even had a "toy crane". One of those evil devices that allowed the folks with too much money to deposit coins and take one grab for a cheap stuffed toy. The bar maid even offered the opinion that she'd never seen the machine give up a toy. But lots of players.

Enter Billy York. He was a big tall drunk guy and sort of a friend. So one day after a meeting we came in. The lot was empty except for Billy's old car. Inside, he was sound asleep down a the end of the bar. He even gave all appearances of being passed out. So 10 or so people came in and the barmaid had her hands full. Of course everyone needed a beer and then she took our food order.

Two women worked the place. Good food, but the barmaid usually went to the kitchen to help. At that instant, Billy sprung from his slumber into a man of action. He lunged toward the machine, and in one smooth motion he grabbed the front corners and tipped the thieving machine on its face. Then he lifted it back up but with the right side first and the left kind of following. It resulted in all the toys piling up above the "door" where the toys came out. Working kind of frantically, he pulled toy after toy out, piling them on the nearest table.

We watched in amusement, kind of awe struck in how efficient he was. Then he took a chair and climbed up on it. With an armload of toys, he placed one on each ceiling fan blade. He moved around the room, getting each of the fans. Maybe 3 of them, 5 blades each. Then giving us all the "shush" sign and smiling, he returned to his place of drunken slumber. Everyone was stunned, but watching.

In a little while the barmaid staarted hauling out our food. It was back in the smoking days and it hadn't taken long to fill the room like a 3 alarm fire. The barmaid stepped over to the switch on the wall. The fans started moving, slowly at first. Then they started to kick into gear and spun. The only thing holding the stuffed toys was gravity. Then the all launched off the blades. Crashing into each other and flying around. The barmaid then screamed "Billy". He was up and out the door, laughing all the way.

Sure, he'd cheated the vending company by stealing some of their toys. But I sure am glad I saw it. I would guess the barmaid gave the toys to the service guy, but I have no way of knowing. It wasn't like stealing them for personal consumption, it was for fun! Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the people who condone theft from vending machines also condone shoplifting? How about bank robbery? Theft hurts us all.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
people who condone theft from vending machines

Isn't it a bit ironic that they were working for a company that specializes, among other things, in "collecting" information?

Big Grin

Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Do the people who condone theft from vending machines also condone shoplifting?
People do. Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Someone noticed a Ding Dong deficiency?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

No-no...

Is that a "he ho"?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post