SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 41 year streak of never being an in-patient ended on Wednesday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 41 year streak of never being an in-patient ended on Wednesday Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted
I would say I had a pretty good run. The only surgery I ever had was for a broken wrist and I didn’t have to spend the night in the hospital. However, I started Wednesday morning out with feeling gassy and bloated and it didn’t go away throughout the day. So I got back to the hotel where I’ve been staying during some training and decided to take a nap. When I woke up, I didn’t feel any better and was starting to get the chills.

Since I’ve been training for 3 weeks at Eglin AFB, I decided to see if I could find out which if any hospitals in the area were listed as providers with my health insurance. As luck would have it, the hospital that was only 3 miles away from my hotel was a preferred provider AND had excellent reviews. Thankfully my wife convinced me to go get checked out.

I arrived at the ER and they started raking excellent care of me, and exceedingly quickly too. I thought that maybe I had some food poisoning or something similar, but when the doc came to my room to do the first check on me, I found out that I was incorrect. The doc palpated my abdomen and when he got to the appendix area it brought tears to my eyes. He said that between my textbook symptoms and the location of the pain, they would have just wheeled me up to surgery 20 years ago, but in this instance they were going to do some tests that would also help with surgery. 20 minutes later and my CT scan results were back and I was told I wouldn’t be going home that night after all.

They ended up giving me some morphine for the pain and some IV antibiotics and admitted me to an observation room until I could get surgery the next morning. Not long after 7:00 Thursday morning, I was getting wheeled up to the operating room. They were able to take the appendix laparoscopically and got it while it was very angry but had not perforated yet. I was actually quite pleased with how well everything went and how I felt. They kept me overnight for a second night and ran a few more bags of IV antibiotics through me and discharged me this morning.

So here I am laying in my hotel bed and resting and glad that the problem that I had was pretty easily fixed and was an acute issue and not some kind of horrible cancer or anything like that. I’m staying a couple extra days before heading back home and I am so grateful for the care and support that I received. If anyone is ever in need of a hospital in the Destin, FL area, I can’t recommend Ascension Sacred Heart Emerald Coast hospital enough. Everyone from the person booking me in at reception coupled with the triage and ER nurses, the ER PAs, along with the surgeons and recovery nurses were so spectacular. I’m not too proud to admit that I was a little nervous going to an unfamiliar hospital 1200 miles from home but the outstanding care that I received took any worries. And now I’ll hope to go at least another 41 years without a hospital stay. Thanks for letting me share my story.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you're okay. It's also refreshing to read a positive review of anything.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Really glad it was a straightforward, uncomplicated case, and that you had really first-rate care.
My own appy cost me a free trip to Norway for an international cardiology conference.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure glad they caught it quickly and all turned out okay. As a PACU (Recovery) RN, I hope they gave you extra TLC since you were far from home. I try to keep in mind my patient’s circumstances when they are waking up from surgery, anticipating any extra anxiety they may have.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest well my friend!! I'm glad that they took great care of you, and you are on the mend. Pleas e follow their recommendations for a full, fast and complete recovery!!

Certainly wish I had as good of luck with my health needs as you!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Glad everything went well. You will be up and jogging in no time. Big Grin

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad that went well and you had good doctors and nurses.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they started raking excellent care of me

Glad you’re Ok a son the mend. I was worried because you sounded like our Taiwanese bookkeeper.

I’ll be in that part of Florida in November for a race, but I hope to avoid the ER.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a full and quick recovery.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you need anything. Either here or via e mail in my profile. I am reasonably close by, FWB. There are at least 2 other members in the vicinity also, although maybe 25 miles or so away. I just went by that hospital Wednesday afternoon on the way back from Panama City.
Where are you staying?

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it taken care of before things had gotten critical and that got such high quality care.

Hope to hear that you're back home and fully recovered soon.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a fast, full recovery.

I made it 69 years without an overnight stay, general anesthesia , other than a few ER stiches occasionally.

The brain tumor changed all that back in 2020.

Hang in there!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A burst appendix got me my only overnight stay about 30 years ago. They kept my got a week. Glad your stay was short and you’re on the mend.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Let me know if you need anything. Either here or via e mail in my profile. I am reasonably close by, FWB. There are at least 2 other members in the vicinity also, although maybe 25 miles or so away. I just went by that hospital Wednesday afternoon on the way back from Panama City.
Where are you staying?

I’m staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Miramar Beach. Great hotel, and will be my first choice whenever I’m back in the area.

And yes, the nurses were extra nice, when they found out what I do and that I was far from home. They were all really pretty too - great bonus.

Thanks to all for the well wishes and support. I’m very blessed to have had things turn out the way that did.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending! Glad you are OK. Ruptured appendix gets ugly in a hurry. Thank your wife for the conservative opinion, might have saved your life. You owe her one.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
From a former Albany resident, I'm glad things turned out well for you.

Every once in awhile us medical folks do something right. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Glad you are on the mend.
If you are up to going to dinner I would recommend Bayou Bills Crab house in Santa Rosa beach. Darn good food and "reasonably" priced. One of my wife and I's 2 favorite restaurants here. It is 6.6 miles east of you on 98 on the north side of the highway.
If you go, they open at 5. I would recommend you be there about 4:45 this time of year. Actually any time of year.
Enjoy the rest of your stay here on the Emerald Coast.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I guess you don't get to go play at Crab Island, but glad you are on your way to 100% again.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
From a former Albany resident, I'm glad things turned out well for you.

Every once in awhile us medical folks do something right. Wink Big Grin

Strangely enough, when the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist introduced themselves, I actually thought of you. That’s an interesting thing about this forum, there is someone here that is involved in just about every conceivable profession.

It’s funny, I actually had to drive here so that I wouldn’t have to quarantine for 14 days before attending class as per DoD regulations. If I had held off another day, or even if the symptoms didn’t start for another day, I could have very easily been in the middle of nowhere looking for a hospital. I can’t help but think that the big man upstairs had something to do with that.

I believe that I’ve seen Bayou Bills. I am cleared to eat anything but still haven’t had much of an appetite. However, if I decide to do something for dinner tonight, I will try to make it to Bayou Bills.

Thanks again to everyone for all the well wishes and support. As for my wife, I stopped keeping score years ago and just resigned myself to the fact that I will forever be in her debt. She is definitely my better half and I am very grateful that she convinced me to get checked out when I did. I truly am blessed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I would say I had a pretty good run. The only surgery I ever had was for a broken wrist and I didn’t have to spend the night in the hospital. However, I started Wednesday morning out with feeling gassy and bloated and it didn’t go away throughout the day. So I got back to the hotel where I’ve been staying during some training and decided to take a nap. When I woke up, I didn’t feel any better and was starting to get the chills.

Since I’ve been training for 3 weeks at Eglin AFB, I decided to see if I could find out which if any hospitals in the area were listed as providers with my health insurance. As luck would have it, the hospital that was only 3 miles away from my hotel was a preferred provider AND had excellent reviews. Thankfully my wife convinced me to go get checked out.

I arrived at the ER and they started raking excellent care of me, and exceedingly quickly too. I thought that maybe I had some food poisoning or something similar, but when the doc came to my room to do the first check on me, I found out that I was incorrect. The doc palpated my abdomen and when he got to the appendix area it brought tears to my eyes. He said that between my textbook symptoms and the location of the pain, they would have just wheeled me up to surgery 20 years ago, but in this instance they were going to do some tests that would also help with surgery. 20 minutes later and my CT scan results were back and I was told I wouldn’t be going home that night after all.

They ended up giving me some morphine for the pain and some IV antibiotics and admitted me to an observation room until I could get surgery the next morning. Not long after 7:00 Thursday morning, I was getting wheeled up to the operating room. They were able to take the appendix laparoscopically and got it while it was very angry but had not perforated yet. I was actually quite pleased with how well everything went and how I felt. They kept me overnight for a second night and ran a few more bags of IV antibiotics through me and discharged me this morning.

So here I am laying in my hotel bed and resting and glad that the problem that I had was pretty easily fixed and was an acute issue and not some kind of horrible cancer or anything like that. I’m staying a couple extra days before heading back home and I am so grateful for the care and support that I received. If anyone is ever in need of a hospital in the Destin, FL area, I can’t recommend Ascension Sacred Heart Emerald Coast hospital enough. Everyone from the person booking me in at reception coupled with the triage and ER nurses, the ER PAs, along with the surgeons and recovery nurses were so spectacular. I’m not too proud to admit that I was a little nervous going to an unfamiliar hospital 1200 miles from home but the outstanding care that I received took any worries. And now I’ll hope to go at least another 41 years without a hospital stay. Thanks for letting me share my story.

Is this the hospital on east side of SanDestin Resorts?

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post