SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My way with smash burgers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My way with smash burgers Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Most Tuesdays I go to Shake Shack for lunch. I love the quarter lb. smash burger, with its fluffy little Martin’s Potato Bun. Delish, but not too big and calorific. I order it with no lettuce or tomato, but lots of pickles (Cynthia really loads ’em on for me).

And most Fridays I make my own with a quarter lb. of 22% fat Wagyu ground beef. For “buns” I use two slices of Mestemacher German-baked pumpernickel, which I toast to crispiness. Radically different than the Martin’s, but equally good in its own way.

I preheat my AUS-ION steel griddle on one burner of my cooktop, and my Lodge grill press on another. I wrap the press with aluminum foil, nonstick side out, to prevent any residual grease on it from baking onto my cooktop.

I put the raw beef on another sheet of aluminum foil for transport to the griddle, then smash it with the press, which I hold until the patty has firmed enough to keep it level. In less than two minutes the patty is cooked to perfection – crispy on both sides, tender and juicy inside. With the hot press constantly on the patty, there’s very little grease spatter.

My “special sauce” is Hellman’s Mayo with herbs and seasonings mixed in: dill weed, cumin, black pepper, seasoning salt, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce. Crispy Claussen Dill Sandwich Slice pickles.

The patty on the griddle with the hot press over it:

Almost ready to eat. Four pickle slices, two on each side of the patty:

So good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
And it looks good too.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh that looks so delicious! Worth all the work.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice too see someone using the appropriate amount of pickles!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No cheese?

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That looks really good! I see you cook the burger on the foil. Never thought of that. I have one of those Lodge presses but I really only use it when making a quesadilla, sometimes keeping bacon straight.

I haven't had pumpernickel bread in a looong while but that sounds delicious with a burger. White buns get boring no matter what you use for toppings.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Why do I keep opening threads like this?
Now I really want a good burger!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Non-stick foil? Claussen pickles? Where do you find such rare commodities?

Great smash burger method, BTW.

My wife's family from Oklahoma exposed me to this wonderful burger spice blend: Daddy Hinkles

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
No cheese?

Or bacon?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Looks Great

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I like your method of cooking but I would have to use a deeper pan. No way could I keep all that grease off the wife's glass cooktop.

Oh, I would also be adding a slice of cheese. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Hope you are carrying while you do that... some scoundrel might decide to take that jar of pickles.

I may look into getting one of those squisher thingies for my outdoor kitchen.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty good!

I love a burger with pickles. Gimme cheese, onions and mustard too! No tomato, no lettuce, no ketchup.

If you add ketchup, you have to add mayo, and possibly lettuce, so fuck that.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Does the burger start as a perfect ball or what?

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
That looks really good! I see you cook the burger on the foil. Never thought of that. I have one of those Lodge presses but I really only use it when making a quesadilla, sometimes keeping bacon straight.

I haven't had pumpernickel bread in a looong while but that sounds delicious with a burger. White buns get boring no matter what you use for toppings.

I discovered this pumpernickel several years ago, and have never been without it since:

Mestemacher Westphalian Pumpernickel, 11 8.8-Ounce Packets
www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GK1O/r..._api_i_kghJFbGQN5PMJ

I love its flavor, and it’s certainly nutritious. There’s almost nothing in it but coarsely ground whole grain rye flour and water. Low calorie and lots of fiber. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for months.

BTW – I remember your old thread:
“So Who Else Cooked Breakfast On The Grill This Morning”
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...800026854#9800026854

Unfortunately, your photos have vanished, but you’re certainly expert at cooking on that Lodge griddle. That egg you cooked on it was perfect! And the Spam too, of course. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That makes me hungry just reading your description of how you prepared the meal! Great jog, got to try that as well.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
pickles

My wife hates pickles. That's why I always keep at least 5 different variety's in the fridge at all times. Works great!! Don't have to worry about her eating any of them...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post