SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Use Spectrum for Cellular Service?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Use Spectrum for Cellular Service? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I was curious as to if anyone here has switched to Spectrum for cellular service? I have AT&T now and Spectrum can save me nearly $38/mo by switching over and I am curious as to the quality of their network. I assume they are just riding on AT&T, Verizon, etc. like many of the rest right?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They use Verizon's network. I considered them but last I checked they have no international roaming options and I need that. Well I needed it before all travel stopped last March.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My father uses them, saved him some money over the other options, seems reliable and quick enough.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I switched over from AT&T to Spectrum about 8 months ago. They do use Verizon. I haven't had any problems with call quality.

We had two lines with really old unlimited data plans with AT&T. My bill was around $180 month. My Spectrum bill is $28/month. I decided to go with the by-the-gig plan ($14/gig). I looked at a year's worth of data usage with AT&T and determined that plan would work for us.

There's no contract, so if you have problems, just switch back to AT&T.

One note about AT&T. They shut my account down right away and I lost access to my online account. I had to chase them to get a final paper bill. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:

I assume they are just riding on AT&T, Verizon, etc. like many of the rest right?
Spectrum is an MVNO (reseller) for Verizon air time. My wife and I have used this service for a year or so and we are totally satisfied.

The quoted prices assume that you subscribe Spectrum internet service at home (business use would probably qualify too, but I'm not positive about that). If you do not use Spectrum internet, the cell phone service is still available, but the cost increases by $20.00 / month for each phone on the plan.

All of their plans include unlimited text and phone calls; the difference is in the data use. Unlimited data costs $45.00 / month. My wife and I use the "by the gig" plan, which provides a shared pool of data, starting with 1 GB per phone / month, at $14.00 per phone. In the year that we have had this service, we went over the limit once, so an extra gig was added for that month at an additional $14.00. There is no roll-over to carry unused data to the next month.

One thing to consider, and this is a very big positive: ALL of the quoted prices INCLUDE all taxes and junk fees, so the advertised price is the actual price that you pay. In my experience, this is very unusual in the cell phone service industry, and Spectrum is to be commended for that.

I have only had to interact with their customer service once or twice, and those experiences were much less painful than interactions that I have had in the past with customer no-service from AT&T, Sprint, and especially with Total Wireless (another Verizon reseller, subsidiary of TracFone). Spectrum customer service reps, on the other hand, were courteous and provided prompt answers to my questions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from Verizon to Spectrum based on several SF member recommendations. I notice no difference in service. Saved a lot of money too.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This is a great deal for those who already have Spectrum service.

I have a grandfathered, truly-unlimited data plan from Verizon, otherwise I'd be all over Spectrum for this already.

As it is, until the fiber optic ISP project goes live for my subdivision later this year, I need that truly-unlimited data plan because my phone is my ISP. The second the fiber goes live, though, I won't need the unlimited data on my phone, and will switch to Spectrum at that point. Probably save around $60-70/month and still get to use the local Verizon towers/network. Smile

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The only "hit" you'll take is in routing. Cellular is the same, you route locally via VZ towers. Internet anything gets routed back to Kansas where the spectrum routers are located. An issue for only the internet obsessed folks as it does add a slight delay to not route locally. VZ hands off to local Spectrum routers which backhaul to Kansas for IP anything. And Spectrum will default your youtube viewing to the shittier PQ so you have to manually turn that back up to 1080p or whatever. But it is a cost saving cellular option. Cheaper than VZ or ATT.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know after tomorrow when I close my current cellular account at T-Mobile and move to Spectrum wireless. Been pondering this for a while and have opted to pull the trigger.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
All the responses are spot on. Let me repeat there is NO add on charges taxes or fees... total bill is 14 bucks flat... for each line. Hell, there was more in taxes and fees then that on my previous plan. Combined with wifi and wifi calling we have had zero issues and saved a ton of money. We are both retired and home mostly so we have never gone over our combined $28 plans in over a year of use. But even if you do its just an additional 14 bucks per Gb, or 45 for so called unlimited. There is a slowdown at some point in the unlimited plan... IIRC after 15 or 20 Gb, not sure, but they pretty much all do that. Spectrum is also rolling out many mobile wifi hotspots, there is one downtown in out little town of less then 500 people... If you are lucky enough to hit one of those data used doesn't count toward your allotment. I guess they stay off the Verizon cell network that way to save them money.

I will add that if you have multiple lines the data is shared. We have two lines @1 GB each so either can use any part or all of the combined 2Gb.

You must have their internet and will get two bills, they don't combine. We get one for Internet, TV and the home phone... and a separate one for the Cell service. You can change your plan at any time via the app. Say you are going on vacation and may use more data, like for GPS or etc. You can switch to unlimited for a month and then switch back afterwards. (I haven't actually tried that yet though so...)

I believe they allow you to used your phone and data as a hot spot as well for no additional cost... (but I haven't tried that either).

You can bring your own phone or they will sell you one. There will be a slight per line activation charge. It wasn't much, maybe $15.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I'll let you know after tomorrow when I close my current cellular account at T-Mobile and move to Spectrum wireless. Been pondering this for a while and have opted to pull the trigger.

If you give them your old account number and log in name and password they will close the old account and port your number over, if possible, for you. Free and easy.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

You must have their internet
Not mandatory, but if you do not subscribe to Spectrum internet, your cost is increased by $20.00 / month for each phone on the cellular service plan.
quote:
I believe they allow you to used your phone and data as a hot spot as well for no additional cost
Correct. Of course, you do pay for the data that you use; if you're on the "by the gig" plan, you'll need to watch this, not so much of a problem if you're on the $45.00 unlimited plan. Some other vendors charge a fee for the hotspot feature, in addition to the data usage fee. Spectrum only charges for the data, there is no fee for the hotspot feature.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked at this as I have spectrum and it would have saved me about $30 off T-Nasty.

I was not aware there was no international roaming and there was one other hiccup...I had to get a Samsung or iPhone phone. I have a separate android and when I looked last it had to be one of those 2?

Can anyone weigh in on that please?

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoupdawg:

there was one other hiccup...I had to get a Samsung or iPhone phone. I have a separate android and when I looked last it had to be one of those 2?

Can anyone weigh in on that please?
Questions About Spectrum Mobile? We're Here to Help.

Learn more about Spectrum Mobile. Contact Support: (833) 224-6603

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not mandatory, but if you do not subscribe to Spectrum internet, your cost is increased by $20.00 / month for each phone on the cellular service plan.
Is that $14/gig + $20, or $20/gig? I didn't look into that because I have Spectrum internet, but I'm curious.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is that $14/gig + $20, or $20/gig? I didn't look into that because I have Spectrum internet, but I'm curious.
"By the gig," the cost for each phone on the plan would be $34 for the first gig and $14 for each additional (if any).

The unlimited plan would be $65 per phone instead of $45.

In other words, if you do not use Spectrum internet, the monthly cost for each phone on the plan would be twenty bucks higher. Another way of looking at it is you get a twenty dollar per month discount on each phone if you use Spectrum as your ISP.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I would try Spectrum but unfortunately Spectrum/Verizon literally has no bars in the part of Ormond Beach that I live in. Barely get 2 with AT&T..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Nope here, I will stay with my 30 bucks unlimited plan with 5G on TMobile.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We have it and it works just fine, we pay $45 per phone for unlimited.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did consider Spectrum but in the end, went with Verizon prepaid because of routing issue as Prefontaine mentioned.

Verizon prepaid - 3 lines, 16 GB each, and using callingmart to pay - $92 a month total.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post