SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Lock Picking Lawyer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lock Picking Lawyer Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
I have mixed feeling about this guy but forewarned is forearmed. I guess I'm surprised he hasn't come up here before. He seems to know his locks. Here's some samples --

Check out the follow-up to this one --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBSSA5ot0tA

This is kinda fun if not very practical --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeghG

Not to pick on Ace, this style lock doesn't fare well --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-MLiVCjc0

From the sublime to the ridiculous --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJaca6MgrA0

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Looks like padlocks are about as useful as door locks on a convertible. They just keep the honest people honest.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have watched probably a hundred of his videos. He is a very talented lock picker. You can tell how crappy a lock is by how long his videos are.

Bosnianbill is another talented lock picker. He is a former EOD tech that now does work for the USSS. When scouting a location for V.I.P visits, he is tasked with non-destructively opening locks to perform inspections.

Both he and lock picking lawyer make fun of how easy Master locks are to pick:

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He must be a defense attorney trying to grow his market. Next up, kids: how to car jack!

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if those techniques work as easily when the lock is actually attached to the thing it is locking. For example, on the double wrench video, can you still use that trick if the lock is running through a hasp or latch?

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
a very big sledge hammer will break them all.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a business acquaintance (so to speak) that through a mutual agreement, provided me with lock picking tools and some training time.
There is a difference between raking and picking.
And it helps greatly to have "touch".
My acquaintance had it. I do not.
Locks only protect you from honest people.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16085 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I wonder if those techniques work as easily when the lock is actually attached to the thing it is locking. For example, on the double wrench video, can you still use that trick if the lock is running through a hasp or latch?

Look at his follow-up to that vid and yep, no problemo.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Looks like padlocks are about as useful as door locks on a convertible. They just keep the honest people honest.

They do keep honest people out. All I expect from them is to slow the rest down enough for me to catch them. I do hate thieves.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Great vids... Does anyone know what would be a good 5 or 6 pin padlock to use?

quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
quote:

They do keep honest people out. All I expect from them is to slow the rest down enough for me to catch them. I do hate thieves.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeus007:
a very big sledge hammer will break them all.

Yep. That's what I think the guys used on my enclosed trailer/storage unit not too long ago. Guess they didn't want any expensive vintage Porsche parts. Probably looking for copper or tools. If one can't easily sell it on Craigslist, it has little value.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I pick padlocks at work on almost a daily basis. My guys are all very impressed by how quickly I do it, like Hollywood fast. Wink

It's not that I'm that good, it just that the locks are that crappy. lol The Master locks like in the first video often open just by sticking the pick in them. It's funny that the cheap Chinese Master lock knock offs are usually a lot harder to pick than the real ones, probably because of all the slop in them.

The other day I had to open a decent lock and used it as a learning experience. I tried to pick it ever so briefly, but it was freezing out and they have good Medco cores in them that I've only been able to open like once (though to be fair I haven't spend much time trying). But I'd never drilled the core on a good lock, so I wanted to try. So I did... and it would have opened with a little more fussing and a little more force, but I said "What am I doing, it's F@#King freezing out here!" I got my Milwaukee cordless grinder with cutoff wheel out on my trunk and cut the shackle in literally six seconds. Eek

It's always harder to open locks when they're actually on something. when they're not, they're always facing the right way. Wink
It's also a lot harder when people are watching you. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Great vids... Does anyone know what would be a good 5 or 6 pin padlock to use?

quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
quote:

The Abloy padlocks with the Protec core are supposed to be some of the most pick-resistant locks out there.

I have a few I use on my firearms cases for travel and they are very beefy and high quality.

https://securitysnobs.com/Padlocks/

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wow, this is very eye opening.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10918 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

It's always harder to open locks when they're actually on something. when they're not, they're always facing the right way. Wink

This is a good point. The double wrench method shown in the videos can only work if there is sufficient clearance for the tools. With a beefy chain attached, it would be tough. But as you pointed out, the cordless cutoff wheel trumps all!

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
With a beefy chain attached, it would be tough.

The follow-up vid shows using the chain or hasp as a fulcrum instead of a second wrench.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That’s amazing as I was watching that I saw this guy on safe cracking!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post