SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Educate me on woodworking routers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on woodworking routers Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Leemur - You've given a basic use case, but I didn't see a budget. What were you planning on spending?

Depending on your area, you may be able to find a nice used router too (Dad's a snowbird and winters in AZ. He picked up a sweet, hardly used Porter Cable at a garage sale for $25 last winter).

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Show off! Razz Interesting you mentioned the PC 691. I have its predecessor, the 690, and it came as a kit with both a fixed and plunge base. I primarily use it today with just the fixed base given I have other plunge router options, but when starting out, it was a very nice option to have both bases.

I too have the Porter Cable 690 - in addition to the plunge and fixed bases, mine also came with a base to mount under a router table. Coming from a cheapo Ryobi it was a night and day difference.

quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog: Let me introduce you to Festool.

Festool has some really nice tools, but dang they're spendy! I've lusted after many of them, but I can't justify the price.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Festool routers and a big Milwaukee in a table but my Bosch 1617 still sees occasional use. It comes with a fixed and a plunge base and is a great tool.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I am router deprived compared to some.

I have the Porter-Cable 693 multi base kit.
https://www.portercable.com/pr...e-router-kit/693lrpk

Also have a 450 compact router.
PC makes a plunge base for this as well.

I also have the Bosch Colt trim router and the a Freud 3 1/4 HP model that I picked up on the cheap since it was discontinued.

The PC 450 compact gets the most use.
I use it primarily for cutting recesses for hinges on small boxes.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Ok so based on everything I’ve seen I’m going plunge. Thanks. A few places I’m reading say overall best is about a 2hp motor. Sound about right?

The Bosch kit with plunge base and fixed base, is to my mind, the best high hobbyist kit available.

It's a little pricy, but not nuts, and is a very high quality tool.

The Porter Cable with fixed and plunge bases is also a good set-up.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Plunge or fixed base: In my opinion, a plunge base is not needed for hobby work.

If making a rough cutout, such as a sink cutout to a drawn shape, either will do. Just tilt a fixed base. No, it won't run amok; just don't be timid. Alternatively, a quick hole can be drilled. If you wish to put an ogee on the inside a plunge isn't necessary. Buy an extra base and fix it to a router table. You can make a simple one by slapping a sink cutout on a barrel.

cne32507 owned and operated an AWI QCP commercial casework shop

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Among my routers (two Festool, two Bosch, one Elu, one DeWalt mini) I would suggest looking at this nice Makita cordless with fixed and plunge bases.

Link

It’s heavy duty enough for most hobbyist jobs, and not having a cord makes it very nice; but then I already had the batteries and charger from another Makita 18V kit so it was cheaper than the kit price.

The one thing this doesn’t have as well as the Festools is dust collection; most Festool tools are extremely good at dust collection, including track saws, miter saw, and sanders; that means a lot to me as sawdust is extremely irritating to me; I probably couldn’t do woodworking without that high level of dust collection.

Here is my favorite Festool router: OF 1010 router. It’s fairly light but powerful; however doesn’t take 1/2 inch bits. Probably wouldn’t recommend as one’s only router. Of course with that you would need a Festool brand HEPA-filtered dust collector....

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Leemur - You've given a basic use case, but I didn't see a budget. What were you planning on spending?

Depending on your area, you may be able to find a nice used router too (Dad's a snowbird and winters in AZ. He picked up a sweet, hardly used Porter Cable at a garage sale for $25 last winter).

Budget is $200ish. I’ve looked at the local Farcebook and Craigslist options. Everything I saw was retail price or looked like it’d been thrown off a cliff.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Leemur, if this DeWalt compact router with fixed and plunged bases is of interest to you, I have one that has never been fired Wink that I could sell you. Shoot me an e-mail (in profile) if interested.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Email sent

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
From payment to receiving the router and multiple goodies was about 5 days from coast to coast. Pics of the new toy in the next day or two.

Thanks sjtill!

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Not pictured are the bag and fence that sjtill so generously included.

Lessons learned so far:

* Router bits are sharp as hell (only a small chunk of skin removed trying to take the bit from the package)

* Practice on scrap until you get a feel for the tool (minor sanding require to fix the error)

* Even if you think you’re going slow enough, you probably should still slow down a little more

Otherwise, smooth sailing for the first small project. Making a portal for the door in the gate barring our cat’s litter box and food area because one dog can squeeze through and help herself. There’s a temporary setup in that works but my wife likes things to look nice so I thought I’d try my hand at something simple first.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
That right there should serve you well for quite a while. Not get to building.... Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Nah, don't go too slow. It'll burn the wood and ruin your bit.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Nah, don't go too slow. It'll burn the wood and ruin your bit.
Here's a hint. Get some time and experience with that router and a number of bits, and you'll soon get a feel for the proper rate of cut. The depth of cut, router bit size, and power of the router will all determine the rate of cut. Shoot, I've got a little 1/8" roundover bit I throw in my cordless Milwaukee router to ease the edges of the piece I'm working on and I fly through it without issues. It all depends on the setup and the work piece.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Here's a hint. Get some time and experience with that router and a number of bits, and you'll soon get a feel for the proper rate of cut.

This ^^^^^

Not that you'll always get it right, but, with experience, you'll learn how the tool should feel and sound when it's going well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Some of us get a little impatient by nature. Wink

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of us get a little impatient by nature. Wink
You'll want to fight that urge when using a router. Not only can you damage your workpiece, you can actually damage a bit, which is no bueno.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Leemur, read about climb cuts, when they are a problem, when you might need one anyway.
It’s all about the direction of rotation of the router bit as it hits the wood.

Here’s a link to a nice explanation in Wood Magazine, which I find great for us rookies:

Climb cutting explained

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Good read, thanks. I actually puzzled out the proper direction before I started. I get it right once in a while.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m guessing if you have a fixed and you try to start in the middle of the material you risk injury or launching the tool across the room...?

You drill a hole.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post