SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for LEO on traffic stops w/ arrests - vehicle condition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for LEO on traffic stops w/ arrests - vehicle condition Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
These questions are for LEO. If you're not, or never have been, please don't answer what you think it might be. For LEO, feel free to copy past the questions in your response if that's easier.

The questions
1) You stop a vehicle and arrest the driver and have to search the vehicle. On average, what % fall in these categories?
a) Wow, this must be new or a rental its spotless - %
b) This is pretty clean, wish my cruiser looked like this - %
c) This looks like my son/daughter's car - %
d) Man, it's going to take me an hour to dig through this mess - %
e) I'm calling the rookie to do this one - %

2) What is the worst vehicle you've ever searched and why?

3) What is the most unexpected or crazy thing you've found in a vehicle search?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

The questions
1) You stop a vehicle and arrest the driver and have to search the vehicle.

For the two agencies I've worked for (after we lost "search incident to arrest") it's rare to search a vehicle with a simple, basic arrest. Most of the time we don't tow cars if we can park them legally.

On average, what % fall in these categories?
a) Wow, this must be new or a rental its spotless - 10 %
b) This is pretty clean, wish my cruiser looked like this - 10 %
c) This looks like my son/daughter's car - 30 %
d) Man, it's going to take me an hour to dig through this mess - 20 %
e) I'm calling the rookie to do this one - 30 %

2) What is the worst vehicle you've ever searched and why? Very very very bad. Think hoarder. Stacked completely full of everything imaginable.

3) What is the most unexpected or crazy thing you've found in a vehicle search? I'm gonna say dildos.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Back in about '91 or '92, I was impounding an old Ford pickup truck left abandoned on the side of the road. I requested a wrecker and began my impound inventory of the vehicle.

The vehicle was full of junk so it took me a while. I finally got to the area behind the seat, which was difficult to get to. I blindly grabbed things, and I grabbed onto what appeared to be the spongy handle to crutches...but when I actually held it and noticed what it was, I was SHOCKED!!! It was DILDO!!!! YES, a DILDO!!!

I was so grossed out, but at least I was able to leave there with an experience which taught me to never blindly search anything again.

Over the years, I searched bicycles to 18 wheelers to mobile homes on the side of the highway. Experience, luck and stick-to-itness will lead to some really interesting things.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The questions
1) You stop a vehicle and arrest the driver and have to search the vehicle.

I'm in a unit that targets high crime areas/persons. So we search incident to arrest every vehicle, and tow everything unless they give us good info on a bigger fish.

On average, what % fall in these categories?
a) Wow, this must be new or a rental its spotless - 15 %
b) This is pretty clean, wish my cruiser looked like this - 15 %
c) This looks like my son/daughter's car - No driving age kiddos 0 %
d) Man, it's going to take me an hour to dig through this mess - if it's really terrible, I will occasionally move on. No sense searching through crap for an hour to get a little dime bag. Bigger fish. 30 %
e) I'm calling the rookie to do this one - If I catch it I clean it.. unless it is something funny or for training 10 %
f) Just normal, plain Jane car - 30%

2) What is the worst vehicle you've ever searched and why?

There was a guy who lived out of his car. He was smoking meth and was....sexually gratifying himself... with a homemade dildo jerry-rigged to a sawzall. There was a lot of fluid and lube in that car.

3) What is the most unexpected or crazy thing you've found in a vehicle search?
I searched a vehicle that was completely blacked out in the very back of a park at about 1 in the morning. The car was occupied by a middle age male who was acting insanely nervous. His nervousness gave me a weird vibe so I asked consent to search his vehicle. He gave me consent to search the car and when I popped open the trunk, I saw his completely naked wife tied up and gagged in the trunk. Apparently they had been married quite a while and were "exploring a fantasy." This happened when I was fresh out of the academy and I remember thinking "man, someone should call the cops." I called for a few other units, we questioned them, and they both confirmed everything was consensual. That was a fun report to write.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Chongo, was the loss of 'search incident to arrest' due to a court decision or a policy change?

OP, sorry for the drift.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Chongo, was the loss of 'search incident to arrest' due to a court decision or a policy change?

OP, sorry for the drift.

Not Chongo obviously, but it was Arizona v Gant. US Supreme Court decision in 2009.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

OP, sorry for the drift.

Not Chongo obviously, but it was Arizona v Gant. US Supreme Court decision in 2009.

Interesting. Thanks.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Search incident to arrest of a vehicle was not lost per se.
It was specifically limited which it had not been prior to.
One still has search incident to arrest of the vehicle based upon articulation of what you are searching for and how it is related to the arrest.

Prior to the Gant decision one would search every car with the thought in the officers head they are searching for evidence of a/the crime. Which is the heart of the Gant decision anyway.

In the Gant deicision I am pretty sure when the officer was asked why he searched his response was simply “because we can.” With no further explanation or articulation of what he was searching for and why.
Had he articulated what he was searching for, expected to find, and why, I presume the decision would have not ruled in favor of Gant.

But to answer the question 70% of vehicles are just meh, not really that bad.
15% are pretty rough, and 5% are just Ohh Lord.

Worst car I ever searched was a 1 eyed prostitues vehicle that she worked out of.

Popped open the back of a van to find a sex dungeon once. Chains, cage, swing, all sorts of equipment that my imagination would not even be able to figure out what they would do with it in that setting.
That fella was actually the first guy who I ever fought about 6 or so years before when I went to arrest him for sodomy that he was in the act of committing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive seen THOUSANDS of roaches crawling over every square inch of the interior. And this car was not abandoned in the woods, it was the daily driver of the owner!

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I did a traffic stop on a vehicle with two occupants very early on in my career, probably right after I was released from my FTO. We used to impound a lot back then for driver license violations so I requested a wrecker since he nor his buddy had a DL. After I cited the driver, I sent him and his passenger on their merry way on foot after advising them the vehicle's impound location.

I then did my vehicle impound inventory where I found a pretty good size baggy of marihuana in a 5 gallon paint bucket on the vehicle's rear floorboard. Of course, I didn't make that mistake again after that learning experience.

Even though they didn't go to jail that day for the possession, they were eventually arrested on the warrants I put out on them some time in the future.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post