SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilot nails sideways landing in 40-knot crosswinds at Bristol Airport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilot nails sideways landing in 40-knot crosswinds at Bristol Airport Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Maybe this is routine...But not for me - pucker factor would be pretty high!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of these kind of landings a day or two back, watching from afar, aircraft coming into CVG north Kentucky in constant west to east wind. Approach from the south. That must take some high skills and knowledge of the aircraft.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I'll be that guy, I guess. You can obviously do it that way, but my instructors and check-airmen would kick my ass if I did that in their presence.

I may not land perfectly down the runway, but I could do better than that. It doesn't look like he even tried to straighten out. I haven't landed a jet in 40 kts crosswind. My best is 37.

OK, I'm done, I'll keep my rant brief. Wink [/killjoy]

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Imagine being a passenger sitting in a window seat on the right side of the plane. Looking straight down the runway as the plane is supposedly making a landing. Barf bag time or just close the shade?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I did one of those once, the dreaded night raining ILS in gusting quartering tailwind approach in a Mooney.

After porpoising 3 times and having the tail come around my left shoulder so that I came to a stop facing the direction from whence I came, still on the runway, mind you, the tower asked if I needed assistance. I told them not to talk to me while I was saying my prayers.

That what it looks like though. When you break out and see the runway out your left side window, you know you are being tested.

That guy is a pro. I wasn’t! I should have gone missed and off to a better airport for landing, and there was one. Sometimes you get away with being dumb.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The thing is, there is so much mass moving forward, that the plane instinctively wants to "straighten" itself on touchdown. A friend of mine who is a Coast Guard pilot explained this to me, and this video is a perfect illustration of what he was talking about.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

I'll be that guy, I guess. You can obviously do it that way, but my instructors and check-airmen would kick my ass if I did that in their presence.
I was thinking the same thing. I watched a landing gear strut torn off a turbo Commander, landing like that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Imagine being a passenger sitting in a window seat on the right side of the plane. Looking straight down the runway as the plane is supposedly making a landing. Barf bag time or just close the shade?

I was in a CRJ sitting at the back of the wing landing at EVV, I was able to align the straight wing with the lines on the runway as we came in. One of the smoothest landings I've ever been through, but my butt was puckered.

It probably wasn't 40knots, I know there were 45mph gusts rolling through about an hour before.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Looked perfect to me. Exactly the way I would have done it. Reminds me of "drifting" in an automobile.

That pilot knows his plane.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
So what do you think his ground speed was?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I may not land perfectly down the runway, but I could do better than that. It doesn't look like he even tried to straighten out. I haven't landed a jet in 40 kts crosswind. My best is 37.

I have to admit I watched it several times, looking for the crosswind gear. I’d guess if that was a dry runway it might not have worked out so well. I get that with big turbo fans under the wing a big gnarly side slip to keep the airplane lined up with the runway is a no go, but that is the first time I’ve seen someone without crosswind gear not kick it out before touchdown.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Any landing you walk away from.....

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Stylish and sketchy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Straightening it out, or transitioning side slip to forward slip, the kick-out method, can present problems with underslung engines on a swept wing; as little as five degrees bank can result in an engine or pod strike on the runway.

Boeing is currently promoting crabbed landings in strong crosswinds especially in certain types. In large aircraft, particularly in strong gusty crosswinds, aligning with the runway is a mass management issue that's not at all the same as landing a Cessna.

Landing crabbed into the wind isn't demanding or high on the skill-set; the angle of the airplane driving into the wind is offset by the wind, and in a strong crosswind on an instrument approach, it's wise to brief where to expect to see the runway when breaking out of the overcast or weather; with a crosswind it won't be in front of the cockpit, but offset one or two o'clock to the right or left.

Our guidance, recently circulated by the CP, is to perform a crabbed landing, rather than kicking it out to align, in a stiff crosswind, and that guidance came directly from Boeing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a passenger, that would scare the absolute living daylights out of me.

It did look like his speed over ground was pretty slow when he did touch down though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Sure seems like a lot of side stress on the nose gear.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Bristol where?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Bristol where?

I dunno. From the grey weather and green grass, I assumed Bristol, UK, just off the A38, but I’ve been wrong many times before...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Our guidance, recently circulated by the CP, is to perform a crabbed landing, rather than kicking it out to align, in a stiff crosswind, and that guidance came directly from Boeing.

Thanks guppy, I would not have guessed that on a/c not equipped with crosswind gear. I learn something new every day.