SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two walk away unhurt after plane crash in South Knoxville neighborhood - and they look to be pretty lucky!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two walk away unhurt after plane crash in South Knoxville neighborhood - and they look to be pretty lucky! Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/...t&utm_medium=twitter

Address where it crashed:
https://www.google.com/maps/pl...682364!4d-83.8998046

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Is that a dead Piper Aztec?

ETA: Yes. N40395.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like it will buff right out.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Prolly another GA idiot who experienced ‘engine trouble’ aka running out of motherfucking AVGAS again. Big Grin

Glad nobody was seriously injured but stupid should hurt.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Walk Away = Good Landing

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Walk Away = Good Landing
Reusable Airplane = Excellent Landing

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Prolly another GA idiot who experienced ‘engine trouble’ aka running out of motherfucking AVGAS again. Big Grin

Other than the lack of fire, what might suggest this to you?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Read the description in the linked article. Does not sound to me like fuel exhaustion. Maybe engine failure? I believe that model has 250 hp (maybe 260) each side. Not a lot of excess thrust there to climb with, if only one of them is working.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
one witness stated that the plane was "finna go down"

They then listened to their scanner apps...

I'm probably leaping to conclusions.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, that's a sweet Mazda wagon doubling as landing gear. Smile

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Walk Away = Good Landing
Reusable Airplane = Excellent Landing
Not being on CNN or YouTube = Perfect Landing!

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Other than the lack of fire, what might suggest this to you?

Just a WAG. I didn't know that it was a twin (not really into GA trivia), then again from the photos you can't even tell it had motors at all.

I'm sure the NTSB / FAA will let us know in 12-15 months. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Man, that's a sweet Mazda wagon doubling as landing gear. Smile

Yeah, they didn't make all that many of them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Read the description in the linked article. Does not sound to me like fuel exhaustion. Maybe engine failure? I believe that model has 250 hp (maybe 260) each side. Not a lot of excess thrust there to climb with, if only one of them is working.[/QUOTE]

I took my ME checkride in an Aztec like this after some dolt landed the Apache I'd been training in with the gear up. The PA23-250 did okay on one engine **if** you got the dead engine squared away pronto... and it wasn't too hot out.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Beechcraft 76 lost an engine on take off and hit the roof of a house about 9 houses away from mine and then landed in the backyard and everyone walked away. Supposedly they're VERY underpowered and can't fly on one engine or barely and not unless they have altitude.....this one sounds a little underpowered also, but not as bad as the Beechcraft 76 which had an instructor and 2 students in the plane.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I did my ME in a Duchess. Single engine performance is essentially none.

At Montgomery Field, there was a freeway at the departure end of the runway, and on the other side of the freeway, a shopping area, including an In and Out Burger.

On my check ride, the examiner had me figure out, using the current ATIS, weight and balance, how long it would take to get to 50’ if an engine were to quit at gear up.

I believe we figured we would be going through the drive thru at In and Out Burger in that unhappy event. IOW, for all intents and purposes, you had to treat it like SE in those situation.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The plane contained about 45 gallons of fuel when it crashed

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I owned a 68 C177. The 150hp on a hot day was a lot of fun. Going out of as small airport in northern NJ had a hill at the departure end that had about the same profile as the rate of climb on the Cardinale. Always made it fun seeing a rate of climb and not really appearing to gain altitude for some time.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I did my ME in a Duchess. Single engine performance is essentially none.

At Montgomery Field, there was a freeway at the departure end of the runway, and on the other side of the freeway, a shopping area, including an In and Out Burger.

On my check ride, the examiner had me figure out, using the current ATIS, weight and balance, how long it would take to get to 50’ if an engine were to quit at gear up.

I believe we figured we would be going through the drive thru at In and Out Burger in that unhappy event. IOW, for all intents and purposes, you had to treat it like SE in those situation.

And that's exactly what happened. They lost engine on take off and hit the roof of a house 1/4 mile from the airport, roof and plane caught fire and plane ended up in the backyard and all 3 people walked away. Kind of sobering when it's less than 9 houses away. And, then a boat blows up in the backyard of the house 4 houses away (in between) like 2 months later.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/lo...-20160425-story.html

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My hometown. Airport is on the river. No areas to land around there but in the water. Hard to tell from the images but to crash on the north side of the river they may have been doing touch and go training. Take off to the west, turn around, fly east, turn and land.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post