SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re-thinking Amazon Key
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-thinking Amazon Key Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Read the small print on whatever agreements Amazon has in conjunction with your use of this service. If they disclaim any liability for lost deliveries and/or anything else that could go wrong, that should tell you all you need to know!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Letting someone set up my door so that it can be unlocked remotely, just to enable deliveries inside? And hook it up to Alexa? Whole lot of NFW. Not if they paid me to do it, and furnished insurance.

What they could do that might be interesting for folks living where package-pilfering is an issue is come up with a home drop box you could secure OUTSIDE your front door, and then give that external box all the whoopdedo security features so Amazon could open it.

If you have a good security system already, this would be opening a big potential hole for small incremental benefits, IMO. Seriously, anything that can be hacked will be hacked...and setting an entrance door up for remote unlocking? Yeah, no.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I think either I'm missing the purpose or others are.

Other's are...or at least they are reading too much into it.

It isn't giving Amazon or the delivery person wholesale access, what you're doing is having the option of remotely opening the door when a delivery arrives.

This is an especially timely offering with the increase activities of "porch bandits".

I'd be extremely wary of someone offering this service other than Amazon...who I would expect to be constantly updating their service security

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm with Glenn Reynolds on this--the Internet of Things has some nice stuff, but the clear potential for disaster.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
We are in the process of drawing up plans for a new house. One of the things we are doing is putting a door/closet off the garage for amazon key.

That way we can use the service but still not give folks access to our home.

That's the only way I would use it. If I had a closet like you are building, or a vestibule area right outside the actual front door. Since I have neither, I will not be using Amazon Key. The features are intriguing, as far as allowing access at certain times, and having expiring codes and whatnot. But, honestly, I don't like having non family members in the house when I am not there.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Some 411 on the service

Is in-home delivery available to all customers?
No, optional in-home delivery is available to Prime members in select cities and surrounding areas. Check your eligibility.

How do I select in-home delivery at checkout?
Enable in-home delivery in the Amazon Key App and shop on Amazon using the address that you installed the Amazon Key Home Kit. Then, you will see the “FREE in-home delivery” shipping option at checkout for eligible Prime items.

What happens on delivery day?
On delivery day, you’ll receive a notification in the morning with a 4-hour delivery window for when the delivery driver will arrive at your home. Right before the driver arrives at your door, you will receive an “Arriving Now” notification and you can optionally watch the delivery happening live. The driver will knock first and then request to unlock your door with their Amazon handheld scanner. Amazon verifies that the package belongs to the address and the driver is near the door, turns on Amazon Cloud Cam and unlocks your door. No special codes or keys are given to the driver. The driver will then place the package just inside your door and request to relock the door. Once the delivery is complete and your door is relocked, you’ll get a final notification and can watch a video clip of the delivery.

Are there special drivers for in-home delivery?
Amazon Key In-home deliveries are carried out by some of the same professional drivers who you trust to deliver your Amazon orders today. These individuals are thoroughly vetted, with comprehensive background checks and motor vehicle records reviews.

What is the Amazon Key Happiness Guarantee?
All in-home deliveries are backed by the Amazon Key Happiness Guarantee. If an in-home delivery was not completed to your satisfaction, we’ll work with you to correct the problem.

Do I always have to receive in-home delivery for packages?
No, you have the option to choose how you want your package to be delivered. You can select “Block Access” in the Amazon Key App at any time up until the package is delivered. The delivery driver will then follow your standard Amazon delivery process.

What if I have a home security system?
Amazon Key is not integrated with home security systems. If you have enabled in-home delivery, you will need to disarm your home security alarm on the day of delivery.

Can I receive in-home delivery if I have a pet?
We do not recommend using in-home delivery if your pet can access the front door on delivery day.

Can I receive in-home delivery if I live in an apartment complex or have a front gate?
Yes, as long as the delivery driver can access and open your front door. For example, you can provide your building or gate code in the Amazon Key App, which can be securely shared with drivers and guests.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I just read a story about an amazon delivery person stealing someone’s mini schnauzer. I think it was in England though.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
It didn’t take long for one driver to steal a dog after they started this...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...zon-delivery-driver/

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Amazon Key In-home deliveries are carried out by some of the same professional drivers who you trust to deliver your Amazon orders today. These individuals are thoroughly vetted, with comprehensive background checks and motor vehicle records reviews.

Oh yeah, these are the "professionals" I want to give access to the inside of my home Roll Eyes :

(And this is just a small sampling. Y'all will love the last one)

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/CdacqRBRmAc

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/O4X-fS9FNHM

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jnkL0IoI6UM

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/vY50qU8C4Zo

And for the coup de grâce:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/t7646MddF00

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Hey, we don't need a warrant... let's just order him a small gift from Amazon"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when your dog, cat, ferret, or emotional support turkey gets out during the delivery, will Amazon dude chase it?
So... another scenario:
You have scumbag neighbors (many of us do) who see Amazon dude pull up and see him go inside. Scumbag neighbor waits for Amazon dude to come back out and says to him, "hey, thanks for the delivery, I am just getting home". And scumbag neighbor walks into your house.
Will Amazon dude block access? Ask for ID? Or even call the cops?
My guess is.... He does not get paid enough to intervene and might even get fired if he does.
So.... NFW for me too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I saw a video of car thieves using a device that mimics the car FOB to steal it. How long until thieves do something similar with the Amazon Key? No way.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Oh yeah, these are the "professionals" I want to have access the the inside of my home Roll Eyes :

(And this is just a small sampling. Y'all will love the last one)

Well...sometimes when nature calls...she screams Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I will stick with my doors having a keyed lock and deadbolt. If I have a delivery, they can leave it in my mailbox or at my front door. If a package gets stolen from my front door then I will have video proof of it. I will not do any type of remote front door lock or let anyone in my home when I am not there...period!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Irony of living in a area where you think this is a good thing and then trusting strangers who live in your area to enter your house.

I’m fine with losing packages. Infinitely more than having strangers open my door.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see someone try to explain that their insurance company is still on the hook for theft in the dwelling. I'd also love to see someone try to take an insurance company to court to prove it.

Interesting times we live in. Prosperity has spawned laziness like we've never seen.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....."my Home is my WiFi actuated remote controlled random time window activated high tech dependent Castle".........

this violates my Luddite Society Code of Rejection of unnecessary Electronic Gizmos

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post