SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re-thinking Amazon Key
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-thinking Amazon Key Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
My first reaction when I heard about Amazon's new "unattended home delivery" offering was, "NFW. I'm not letting any goober enter my home while I'm away." But now I'm having second thoughts. The whole idea may not be so bad after all.

https://www.amazon.com/Introdu...r+lock+home+delivery

Here's the quick feature list:

• Seamlessly manage and monitor your door from anywhere. Use the Amazon Key App to lock and unlock your door remotely, use keyless access, and check in on your front door 24/7 by viewing motion clips of who entered and exited your home when your door is unlocked and locked or using live stream.
  • Stop making spare keys. Give family and friends temporary, recurring, or permanent access. Or provide one-time access for your electrician. You’re in control—just schedule the date and time window.
  • Enable the Amazon Key skill and ask Alexa to lock your door. Or ask Alexa to show Cloud Cam’s live feed on your Amazon Fire TV, Fire Tablet, Echo Show, or Echo Spot.
  • Prime members in select cities and surrounding areas, opt-in to getting Amazon packages securely delivered just inside your front door. Watch your delivery happening live or view a video clip of it later. We’ll send notifications the morning of delivery, just before, and right after. Or, choose to block the in-home delivery feature.
  • Download the Cloud Cam App to access additional indoor security features for your Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition). Monitor your home with features like 1080p Full HD, night vision, and two-way audio.
  • Locks work with a standard single-cylinder deadbolt. Check for more details below.

Now, maybe alone I'd still be wary of implementing a solution like this, but I have security cameras in place that I monitor remotely, and with the combination of both, I think I'd have enhanced security.

Your thoughts? Have I missed the obvious? Or not-so-obvious?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You live in Virginia and are okay with random people entering your home when you aren't there?

What part of Virgina is that safe?

I suggest a contractor's steel box, padlocked shut, and chained to some immovable object, like your house.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Assuming since it works with Alexa it's wifi based. What happens when your internet is out? Anything wifi based can be hacked.

Can you op out of delivers being able to open your door and just use the other services it features? Letting people I don't know open my door even if it's just to slip a package in and it's on camera is a huge non-starter for me.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If I needed to get that much stuff from delivery services, I'd make a large strong box with a lock hasp and leave it on the porch with an unlocked padlock each day.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Give Amazon control of my front door? No. Freakin'. Way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Want security for your packages? Don't want to give anyone carte blanche access to your house?

Try this:

http://www.dvault.com/

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Christ I have family I don’t want to have unfettered access to my house. Family I like.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Want security for your packages? Don't want to give anyone carte blanche access to your house?

Try this:

http://www.dvault.com/

Available on Amazon. Wouldn't it be a bitch if you had that delivered and it got stolen.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Give Amazon control of my front door? No. Freakin'. Way.

Yeah. Right there with you. I control my front door, not The Borg.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Assuming since it works with Alexa it's wifi based. What happens when your internet is out? Anything wifi based can be hacked.

Can you op out of delivers being able to open your door and just use the other services it features? Letting people I don't know open my door even if it's just to slip a package in and it's on camera is a huge non-starter for me.

From the OP: "Or, choose to block the in-home delivery feature."

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

As stated above,

"opt-in to getting Amazon packages securely delivered just inside your front door. Watch your delivery happening live or view a video clip of it later. We’ll send notifications the morning of delivery, just before, and right after. Or, choose to block the in-home delivery feature."

It seems like you can enable the delivery feature at will. Expecting a delivery Friday? Turn on that option during the hours in the notification, turn if off afterwards.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What could possibly go wrong?

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Still a solid “no freakin way” from me.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Those virtual-key things are answers to problems I don't have.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Not in a billion years.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Liberals with the key to my house. Hahahaha.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yeah I'ma thinking thats not for me.

I can see where someone would use it, major city
have deliveries stolen, in some cases Amazon might start requiring it for high risk areas based on historical package delivery issues.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would probably be safe where I live, but I don't need it. We order a ton of stuff from Amazon that UPS leaves on the front porch. There have been times when it sat for a few days. No one has ever touched one dang thing in 20 years.

I like living in the country.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
We are in the process of drawing up plans for a new house. One of the things we are doing is putting a door/closet off the garage for amazon key.

That way we can use the service but still not give folks access to our home.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I think either I'm missing the purpose or others are.

Granting access to your Amazon delivery is only part of the whole product, and an optional one at that.

As I read it, it's essentially a keyless access system that one can control remotely (using a phone, or Amazon's Alexa), and that you can give temporary access to friends, relatives and - optionally - to a delivery service. It's backed up by a camera system that shows you who enters your home and when.

The delivery is specified that it's only left inside the door. No one comes into the house more than it takes to lay a package down out of the way of the door opening. And that activity is videotaped.

If Internet connectivity is disrupted, so is the keyless system. Ergo, disabling Internet disables the key.

Again, I'm just reconsidering it, not trying to sell it. I appreciate the feedback and understand it's not for everyone. I'm just glad folks are posting objections, but some of them are just reactive and emotional. If it turns you off, that's fine. But emotion doesn't sell me.