SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ink on my trucks headliner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ink on my trucks headliner Login/Join 
Just Hanging Around
posted
I think there are a couple detail guys on here, and I need a little help.

Yesterday I had a friend sign a couple papers in my truck, when he finished he handed the pen back to me and without thinking, I put it between the visor and the headliner. When I got home I reached up, pulled the pen out and saw I hadn't replaced the cap. Now I have 2 nice little black lines on the headliner. You can't see them with the visor up, but I know they're there, and I'd really like to get rid of them.

Anything I can use to remove them without messing up the headliner?

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you use some Jinx Ink. Link to it at Amazon

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/index.php

If that doesn't work...take a look here...

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Careful with this. If the solvent you use causes the foam backing of the headliner to deteriorate and let the headliner droop, you're going to create a much worse looking situation than your ink spots behind the visor.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Try some automotive degreaser hand cleaner. Not as caustic.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
A long time ago (I was a kid at the time) I read that hair spray works on ink. My dad sat in his recliner with a pen in his back pocket (IDK Either) and it broke. He didn't realize it for awhile. Anyway, he tried everything he could think of and I told him about what I read. It worked.

Try it. If it doesn't work your hair can look FABULOUS! Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I work with inks for a living.

Heptane (dry cleaning fluid) is a fantastic solvent for consumer level inks, then isopropyl alcohol is next. Npatha has an odor, but will thin it right out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like hand sanitizer on a qtip. Test small.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Goof-off or lighter fluid.

Squirt a little onto a rag and blot the liner, this wil avoid soaking the liner and destroying the foam backer.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Looks like there are possible hazards with about everything. Guess I’ll have to decide just how brave I want to get. First I’ll try to find a secluded spot where I might be able to try something and it won’t show.

Thanks again.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post