SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stationary Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stationary Recumbent Exercise Bikes Login/Join 
Picture of Rover88
posted
Just got home from yet another hospital stay. While working with Physical Therapy (and previously with Pulmonary Rehab) found the value of a recumbent exercise bike.

I don't want to spend a fortune for a gym quality unit. After a quick browse of Amazon I'm thinking of maybe a $300.00 budget, if that's reasonable. My neighbor has one that he likes that he only paid about $150.00 for, but I think I'd like a little better quality.

So, does anybody have one of these units? I'm interested in cost, durability, quality of construction, features (to perhaps a lesser extent), etc. Interested in brand/model recommendations.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
We have a Schwinn Biodyne 250 bike. My wife loves it. She has plates and screws in both ankles so can't use a treadmill, this is her way of getting some aerobic exercise with little to no impact. You can pick them up for under $400. It Has the usual LCD screen, adjustable seat, assorted programs and difficulty, and a plug in for an ipod or other music player. She's 5.6, I'm 5. 11 and it adjusts easily and quickly to fit us both.

We like it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to look online for a great condition, used one that is gym quality & has seen little use. I have a stepmill I got used from Craigslist that is still going strong after 9 yrs, a spinning bike that I picked up from Gold's gym when they decided to get new bikes that I've had 10 yrs, & just got a Concept 2 rowing machine off craigslist.

I am very picky about my exercise equipment so I try out the stuff at the gym to make sure it doesn't put my body in any funky positions to tweak anything & then I look for the exact unit I want gently used online.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Is there some reason you need to use a recumbent stationary bike? Reason I ask is fitness trainers at my old club told me one gets a much more effective workout from an upright.

As for cost: What cost your health? Personally, having fooled with various "consumer grade" gym equipment at sporting goods stores and the like, I have not been impressed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
To be precise, your post says recumbent bike. That would be where the exercise is taking place at about the level of your heart.

The picture right below OP is a semi-recumbent, where your legs are still slightly below your heart.

If you're asking because one has been recommended for you based on heart condition, look for correct posture. And yes, a lightly used and largely ignored quality piece may be an excellent suggestion.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
To be precise, your post says recumbent bike. That would be where the exercise is taking place at about the level of your heart.

The picture right below OP is a semi-recumbent, where your legs are still slightly below your heart.

If you're asking because one has been recommended for you based on heart condition, look for correct posture. And yes, a lightly used and largely ignored quality piece may be an excellent suggestion.

What brands are considered quality products?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Just something to consider, and I wish I had known this before I got mine, make sure the Read-out panel is back-lit.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nordic Track makes good semi-recumbents. They start at about 800. You can probably find a lightly used one in your area for 400 or less. I've been using the base model for 3 or 4 years now, it works great. And "less effective" is somewhat debatable. We use it due to my wife's back, and I've found it's just as effective IF you increase the resistance and speed.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brands I find to be high quality are Precor, Cybex, Star Trac, & Life Fitness. There are others but these are what most of the gyms I've been to use so I know they can stand up to really being used. Recumbent bikes are great for certain issues, back issues, hand & wrist issues, & ankle issues. I have a Star Trac upright bike & my physical therapist doesn't want me using it yet because of an ankle injury. He knows I will stand up out of the saddle which puts more stress on my ankles.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
... "less effective" is somewhat debatable. We use it due to my wife's back, and I've found it's just as effective IF you increase the resistance and speed.

There's no debate about it. An upright stationary bike, as opposed to a recumbent or semi-recumbent, works the core, biceps, triceps, and shoulder muscles in holding you upright and supporting your weight on the handlebars. More muscles engaged equals more calories burned for the same pedaling rate/resistance and time.

I'm not criticizing anybody's choices--particularly if it's a choice borne of necessity. I'm just pointing out the one difference between the two.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’m going throw out a cheap option that’s worked well for me.
I’m late 30’s but had a treadmill die on me and didn’t want to spend gun-sized money on a new one but wanted a cardio option for my workouts in the garage. I also hate traditional bike seats so I was looking through Amazon one day and saw a so called recumbent bike for like $125.

I figured, if it lasted a year, I was money ahead.
I’ve since put 2k miles on it and the thing is so quiet compared to a treadmill.

For that cheap, it’s worth a try.

Model I bought: Marcy ME-709

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post