SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This! Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
My wife has a good crop this year. My only complaint is that too many ripen at once, which isn't bad except when the bounty runs out it's back to store crap. Cruel transition.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
ours are larger on the vine every second of every day....yet no shift even so slightly in the green shades of the different species out there....

but soon.....very very soon.....[bead of sweat forming on brow].....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Toasting the bread aids in the use of extra mayo.

Even a bachelor can look like a pro chef with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, basil, salt, and cracked pepper.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Amen, Brother!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something we picked in Dad's garden late last week. What it may not have in terms of commercial appeal in the stores is more than made up with taste. Note the dollar bill for size reference.

For some reason, the link isn't working for image - here is a direct link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz6t...v/IMG_0808.jpeg?dl=0

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Something we picked in Dad's garden late last week. What it may not have in terms of commercial appeal in the stores is more than made up with taste. Note the dollar bill for size reference.

For some reason, the link isn't working for image - here is a direct link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz6t...v/IMG_0808.jpeg?dl=0

Wow! Did you weigh that sucker?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I like my mater sandwiches toasted, Hellman's mayo, with liberal doses of salt and pepper.

That's my way,too. Sometimes I'll add a few slices of fresh cucumber. Had the first of the season last week. Yum.

And for all of you who don't toast, well, you should. If you try it, you won't go back.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, nothing beats a good fresh matter sammich this time of year, untoated here.

Posts: 15 | Location: SW. Missouri | Registered: August 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never refrigerate a tomato, it destroyed the taste, take a real vine ripe tomato (too many people have never had a honest to god home grown vine ripe tomato) cut two slices put one in the refrigerator and leave the other at room temperature a couple of hours later taste them both I bet you will see a huge difference.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Mater sammiches are my VERRY favorite!! I’ll eat them till I start to break out from the acid. It’s my favorite sammich time of the year!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago I started making them for my lunch. I found that our local market has really good bread, baked on premises. Couple that with Dukes, ground salt and pepper, delicious!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
PA, that's what us White Trash folks call a "Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwich". Bend over the sink, roll up your sleeves and enjoy!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Yep, no need to mess with red, garden fresh tomatoes.
As a tomato gardener, one of my favorite ways to enjoy my vine ripened tomatoes is eating like an apple but shaking a dash of salt every bite.

love them that way cucumbers too skin and all.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh ingredients win every time.

Growing your own produce, you learn to discover what real flavor tastes like.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Fresh ingredients win every time.

Growing your own produce, you learn to discover what real flavor tastes like.

PASig has the best garden: his dad's. PA just killed his lawn, so maybe that's his best bet for fresh 'maters.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
I like them that way.

A friend showed me that A little olive oil in a medium hot skillet with salt and pepper for just a few seconds on each side to warm the tomato really brings out the flavor.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You left out the two things required to make such a sandwich edible:
- excise the tomatoes
- excise the mayonnaise

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Fresh Italian bread
Fresh tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella
Fresh basil
Olive oil
Balsamic
Garlic, salt, & pepper
Glass of wine

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I made a mater sammich for lunch today, but I took it to the next level by adding fresh, just out of the garden cucumbers and thinly sliced jalapeno peppers, also out of the garden.

As much as I love bacon, I think in this case it would have been too much to add it to this marvel that I created. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I like all of that other stuff but I always preferred Miracle Whip instead of mayo.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post