SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Today for lunch:

2 nice big tomato sandwiches

-Nice fresh sandwich bread
-Duke's Mayo
-1/2 inch thick sliced dead-ripe tomatoes from my Dad's garden
-Kosher salt
-Ground black pepper

That's IT. They were AMAZING! I love a nice simple tomato sandwich in the summertime.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No Bacon?

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!
Psst....there is this amazing meat called bacon that pairs very well with Duke’s, lettuce, and fresh maters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No Bacon?

Not this time around. You don't want any cheese or bacon or anything else to hide the tomato flavor.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the other way round..

don't want those mater's messing up my bacon... Big Grin

They do sound good though

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I agree with PASig. BLT's are great, but you've gotta have a plain mater sammich every now and then.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You suck at cooking. You forgot to toast the bread.

Watch and learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxE_wEbkcXM

(It's pretty funny... Wink )

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No Bacon?

Not this time around. You don't want any cheese or bacon or anything else to hide the tomato flavor.

Yep, no need to mess with red, garden fresh tomatoes.

I had no idea that Duke's had made it north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Very funny, Rogue. Big Grin

PASig has got it right.
- good sandwich bread - untoasted
- a perfectly ripe local tomato
- Duke's mayo (It's made here in Richmond.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I dunno. While I love chilled sliced tomato by itself, this morning I breakfasted on bagels with bacon-scallion cream cheese, topped by a slice of tomato and a slice of bacon. The bacon and cream cheese draw out the flavor of the tomato, and the roughage of the tomato is complimented by the smoothage of the bacon. Awfully pleasant!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
As a tomato gardener, one of my favorite ways to enjoy my vine ripened tomatoes is eating like an apple but shaking a dash of salt every bite.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Life has improved here in the Louisville area of the Ohio River Valley recently. We had a new Kroger superstore open nearby and they carry Duke's mayo. I used to have to smuggle it over the border.

10-4 on the mater sammich just like PASig makes em.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Mater sammich's have maximal enjoyment value between the hours of 12:30 - 5:00 a.m., when all normal people are sleeping.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
As a tomato gardener, one of my favorite ways to enjoy my vine ripened tomatoes is eating like an apple but shaking a dash of salt every bite.

Now, that's how it's done. Our maters are just now coming on and I'll be going out to the garden with a salt shaker and eating one a day right there in the garden.

A little bit of heaven on earth.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well dayum. Its hot here and a lettuce 'n tomato sandwich might just be the ticket for supper. Have some smoked ham I can add too and maybe some extra sharp cheddar. Add a couple beefy lightly salted scallions on the side. Big Grin Too hot to heat up the kitchen frying up some bacon. Any way ya cut it the thick sliced tomatoes are da bomb!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Mater sammich's have maximal enjoyment value between the hours of 12:30 - 5:00 a.m., when all normal people are sleeping.

Wait! I thought nothing good happened after midnight.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my mater sandwiches toasted, Hellman's mayo, with liberal doses of salt and pepper.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

That sounds like a winner. I am going to have to try that.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Been eating 'mater sammiches all week!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Today for lunch:

2 nice big tomato sandwiches

-Nice fresh sandwich bread
-Duke's Mayo
-1/2 inch thick sliced dead-ripe tomatoes from my Dad's garden
-Kosher salt
-Ground black pepper

That's IT. They were AMAZING! I love a nice simple tomato sandwich in the summertime.

^^^^^^^^^ This is what summer is about! Watching those tomato seedlings sprawl into beautiful plants loaded with juicy red deliciousness cannot be beat. When it’s time to enjoy them, PASig has it nailed! Now I think I will go pick one and verify what he is talking about.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post