SIGforum
Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5310055544

August 09, 2018, 05:32 PM
Sigmanic
Fresh Tomato Sandwiches: It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!
My wife has a good crop this year. My only complaint is that too many ripen at once, which isn't bad except when the bounty runs out it's back to store crap. Cruel transition.
August 09, 2018, 06:01 PM
signewt
ours are larger on the vine every second of every day....yet no shift even so slightly in the green shades of the different species out there....

but soon.....very very soon.....[bead of sweat forming on brow].....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

August 09, 2018, 06:06 PM
Woodman
Toasting the bread aids in the use of extra mayo.

Even a bachelor can look like a pro chef with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, basil, salt, and cracked pepper.
August 09, 2018, 06:13 PM
Rolan_Kraps
Amen, Brother!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
August 09, 2018, 07:35 PM
SigSAC
Something we picked in Dad's garden late last week. What it may not have in terms of commercial appeal in the stores is more than made up with taste. Note the dollar bill for size reference.

For some reason, the link isn't working for image - here is a direct link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz6t...v/IMG_0808.jpeg?dl=0
August 09, 2018, 08:08 PM
Sigmanic
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Something we picked in Dad's garden late last week. What it may not have in terms of commercial appeal in the stores is more than made up with taste. Note the dollar bill for size reference.

For some reason, the link isn't working for image - here is a direct link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz6t...v/IMG_0808.jpeg?dl=0

Wow! Did you weigh that sucker?
August 09, 2018, 09:13 PM
amals
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I like my mater sandwiches toasted, Hellman's mayo, with liberal doses of salt and pepper.

That's my way,too. Sometimes I'll add a few slices of fresh cucumber. Had the first of the season last week. Yum.

And for all of you who don't toast, well, you should. If you try it, you won't go back.
August 10, 2018, 02:39 AM
jrswinn
Yep, nothing beats a good fresh matter sammich this time of year, untoated here.
August 10, 2018, 03:45 AM
dwright1951
Never refrigerate a tomato, it destroyed the taste, take a real vine ripe tomato (too many people have never had a honest to god home grown vine ripe tomato) cut two slices put one in the refrigerator and leave the other at room temperature a couple of hours later taste them both I bet you will see a huge difference.
August 10, 2018, 04:28 AM
sybo
Mater sammiches are my VERRY favorite!! I’ll eat them till I start to break out from the acid. It’s my favorite sammich time of the year!!
August 10, 2018, 08:06 AM
UTsig
A couple of weeks ago I started making them for my lunch. I found that our local market has really good bread, baked on premises. Couple that with Dukes, ground salt and pepper, delicious!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
August 10, 2018, 11:08 AM
cne32507
PA, that's what us White Trash folks call a "Kitchen Sink Tomato Sandwich". Bend over the sink, roll up your sleeves and enjoy!
August 10, 2018, 12:01 PM
XLT
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Yep, no need to mess with red, garden fresh tomatoes.
As a tomato gardener, one of my favorite ways to enjoy my vine ripened tomatoes is eating like an apple but shaking a dash of salt every bite.

love them that way cucumbers too skin and all.
August 10, 2018, 01:31 PM
corsair
Fresh ingredients win every time.

Growing your own produce, you learn to discover what real flavor tastes like.
August 10, 2018, 03:03 PM
cne32507
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Fresh ingredients win every time.

Growing your own produce, you learn to discover what real flavor tastes like.

PASig has the best garden: his dad's. PA just killed his lawn, so maybe that's his best bet for fresh 'maters.
August 10, 2018, 03:32 PM
kg5388
I like them that way.

A friend showed me that A little olive oil in a medium hot skillet with salt and pepper for just a few seconds on each side to warm the tomato really brings out the flavor.

August 10, 2018, 04:44 PM
hile
You left out the two things required to make such a sandwich edible:
- excise the tomatoes
- excise the mayonnaise
August 10, 2018, 04:46 PM
PD
Fresh Italian bread
Fresh tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella
Fresh basil
Olive oil
Balsamic
Garlic, salt, & pepper
Glass of wine
August 10, 2018, 05:01 PM
Jimbo54
I made a mater sammich for lunch today, but I took it to the next level by adding fresh, just out of the garden cucumbers and thinly sliced jalapeno peppers, also out of the garden.

As much as I love bacon, I think in this case it would have been too much to add it to this marvel that I created. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
August 10, 2018, 05:13 PM
Rinehart
I like all of that other stuff but I always preferred Miracle Whip instead of mayo.