SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Does she have a place to go?
From Ronin's second post, on the first page: "she is stable. She's 44 and has her own place; along with her own money and saving to make due."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
My take on this is probably quite different.

I’ll start off by saying that grass always looks greener where the cows have been shitting.

My wife and I don’t have much in common. She’s not that big into off roading or shooting, but does these things because she wants to do things together. I don’t like to clean like a crazy OCD person, but I do, because it makes her feel safe and relaxed. She’s super religious. I’m not. I go to church and all that stuff, because it brings her joy. She likes to sleep with her legs on top of my thighs (I’m a stomach sleeper and she sleeps on her back) and this can be very annoying, even after 16 years. It can cause physical pain, as I will wake up with backaches from her leg weight on my legs, contorting my back oddly. (She’s working on not doing this anymore for health reasons).

This is just a small sample of things like this.

We do these things because we love each other.

I’m a decent looking guy, in good shape, I have a pretty great personality, and I have a great job. Where I live, I’m what many women would consider a unicorn. I could find a woman that is younger, considered more attractive, a nymphomaniac, and has everything in common with me.

Personally, I don’t want that. There are things I wouldn’t want to give up. My wife is like half of me. I know that sounds so gay, but it’s true. She’s my other half. She makes sure I always have clean ironed clothes, picks out what I wear each day and makes sure I look good. She makes sure I eat properly. Sometimes this shit is annoying. It’s almost like she’s being a mom, and it drives me bananas.

I trust her more than I would trust any other human on this planet. She wouldn’t cheat on me, not for all the money in the world. I have zero doubt that she wouldn’t even think twice, and would take a bullet to save me. I would do the same for her.

As I’m sure you know, being married 20 years, relationships are a lot of work.

So my wife definitely not “the right one”, and that’s exactly what makes her the right one.

Good luck Ronin. I wish the best outcome for you.

Thank you for posting this, Beancooker. In many ways I could have written it.

Guys and gals,

I got exactly what I expected from this thread. Some humor, some snark, but mostly perspective and some great advice.

Something I know about myself is that I like “shiny new things”; this would not be the first relationship I ran from because....”Squirrel”!

Before I walk away from someone who loves/cares about me much more than I tend to think I deserve sometimes, I owe it to both of us to stop looking to see what’s on ‘the other side’ and instead focus on ‘right now’.

And that is what my decision is going to be.

Thanks again all, I really appreciate it.

SigForum wins again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Before I walk away from someone who loves/cares about me much more than I tend to think I deserve sometimes, I owe it to both of us to stop looking to see what’s on ‘the other side’ and instead focus on ‘right now’.
One other thing you may be over looking is it's OK to be 'by yourself for awhile' and just focus on you and your kids.

BTDT and often it brings a lot of clarity that was missing after going through a divorce and jumping back into the relationship pool, before a person might be ready for that.

Just a thought, best of luck.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it Ronin. And yes that was a really good post beancooker.

Oh, and taking a break from the news is the best medicine one can take these days. Or at the very least tiny doses's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
When it’s over, it’s over, break it off.

My mother and aunts gave me absolute hell one year for calling it quits with a girl a couple of weeks before Christmas.

The young lady had gotten into a groove of taking her stress of full time school and full time employment out on me. I rationally explained to her that this would not continue, and suggested she make an appointment to speak with a professional about her level of stress and how to deal with it.

Shortly she blew up at me again over something I had nothing to do with. After she cooled off, I inquired as to if she had made an attempt to get some help. She had not, I explained that this was no longer an option she had one month to find someone. I said nothing else for 30 days, then asked again. She had not, her bad behavior had continued; I ended it there.

So to get to the point the long way around. When it’s over, it’s over.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sometimes when one questions calling it quits now, in this environment, this close to the holidays, [whatever], that is really a little internal voice asking if calling it quits is the right thing. Good on you for at least looking at it. I always tried to have a clean break and some time alone before looking for anything new. It helped in knowing that I wasn't just going because something else looked better.

I suspect that whatever you decide long term you'll be more comfortable with your decision having looked at it harder.

Good luck!

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Best of luck! Hindsight will be the only way you know for sure what avenue was best. Hopefully we will see a thank you David Troung thread in a year or two, if not there are tons of fishes in the sea.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20808 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post