SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is LinkedIn.com worth the time...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is LinkedIn.com worth the time... Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
and effort? Any experiences good or bad?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm pissed at them for releasing my private e-mail during their data breach. Jerks.

I also get tired of people I don't know trying to "network" with me. Yes, I understand you want to do what I do, and I understand you are in college, but no, I cannot get you a job just because you contacted me. Nice try.

Then there was the fake profile that tried to network with me, and I was able to prove it was a fake.

But I have heard that if you are looking for a job, you pretty much have to have a profile, and it has to look good and have plenty of (real) people in your network.

There are actually professional linked-in profile writers.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no
but you have to have a profile for some companies to consider you. get one and ignore the realestate contacts.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And don't forget this "personal brand" horse shit! You have to hawk your "personal brand" in your resume. Unbelievable what's happened in the job market, due to social media. What incredible phonyness. "Branding" is for livestock and toothpaste, not human beings.

Hell, I hear kids talking about featuring their "personal brand" on Instagram. A generation of vain little phonies, sticking their face into a camera every twenty minutes and posting their images online. Fourteen year old kids as "internet influencers", marketing merchandise provided to them by companies who take advantage of the cheap advertising.

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
100% bad experiences.

I literally got nothing out of my time since I wasn't looking for a job.

During the last oil & gas downturn, it became soul sucking to keep telling people whom I had previously worked with that I didn't have any jobs and didn't know of anybody who did.

One of my best decisions was to ditch it years ago.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I am on the opposite here. I have had nothing but good experiences there. I don’t take it that seriously, but I have had a handful of recruiters contact me. Most haven’t panned out, but I had one pretty great job offer that I ended up turning down, and just had an interview yesterday. We will see where that leads.

If you take it super seriously, it would suck. It’s like Facebook for jobs. I don’t post a resume, but my work history, and specifically some of the software that I am a SME with, gets me some good calls.

I wouldn’t rely on it to gain me employment if I was unemployed. Being that I have a decent job, it’s a nice tool to use to see what’s available, and have a few interviews.

That’s my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good experience with it and it has helped me in my work, in making connections, finding the people I need to contact and building credibility in my field. But it has long been my goal to be in an industry where LinkedIn is totally irrelevant, and I'm there now. I keep my last job as my current one, solely for the purpose of weeding out all the recruiters who would otherwise bombard me. I hope to be totally off LinkedIn in about a year.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working in IT, it's quite useful in both networking and gathering intelligence about companies and positions.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It’s a networking site for white collar professionals. Linked in’s benefit is proportional to the size and quality of your network.

Pro tip: if you want to use LinkedIn on your terms, use an email strictly set up for LinkedIn; that way you don’t get inundated with emails. You open the LinkedIn app when you choose and any messages will be there.

You’ll have to start with people you know and who will connect with you. Depending on your connections’ network and activity, that may give you access to more people to connect with. But don’t send cold connect calls. LinkedIn has a feature similar to Facebook where you can comment on posts. Interact with someone first then you can chance sending them a connection request. Add something more to the boiler plate request.

If you’re looking to be employable and you’re white collar, then LinkedIn will help.

And, yes, I’ve had a positive experience with it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I was randomly messaged by a recruiter on LinkedIn three and a half years ago for a job (same industry - software) that came with a 64% pay increase.

I pursued it, landed the job, and it’s been a game changer.

So for me, yes — I couldn’t put a price on LinkedIn.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's been a phishing scam lately from Linkedin, in which an email appears to come from Linkedin regarding a job or some other bait, and when opened, infects the computer. I get emails from Linkedin, but don't open them.

I have an account there, but don't include personal information. I don't check it too often, but have some links to various former associates, trade assciates, etc. I don't list professional history or experience, or other information.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has helped me several times when looking for work.

Today it is almost required. Almost every job application asks for your Linkedin profile.

I am in IT so in a less tech field, it might not be true.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
I've heard nothing but BAD experiences with it.

Privacy issues, phishing, e-mail spam, re-distribution of your e-mail contacts.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many applications ask about a linkedin profile, but it's not required. I never provide the link.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I am on the opposite here. I have had nothing but good experiences there. I don’t take it that seriously, but I have had a handful of recruiters contact me. Most haven’t panned out, but I had one pretty great job offer that I ended up turning down, and just had an interview yesterday. We will see where that leads.

If you take it super seriously, it would suck. It’s like Facebook for jobs. I don’t post a resume, but my work history, and specifically some of the software that I am a SME with, gets me some good calls.

I wouldn’t rely on it to gain me employment if I was unemployed. Being that I have a decent job, it’s a nice tool to use to see what’s available, and have a few interviews.

That’s my two cents.

This sums up my experience with it as well.

Lately, it seems to be picking up more of a fb feel to it, which has me a little concerned. More personal garbage being posted up than professional.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It can't hurt. I have family (immediate and extended) who uses it extensively. I even got one "hit," i.e., contacted for an interview.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
For me, it's been worthless. I have it set up, but hardly every log in. I'm thinking I'll probably ditch it soon.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
LinkedIn was phenomenal when it was nothing more than an online, professional rolodex that automatically cross-linked all of your contacts.

Then it gradually turned into a social media platform and is now mostly crap.

I maintain my profile and connections for the purpose of being able to find professional contacts in a hurry if they've dropped off my radar for some reason, but I ignore everything else.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Is it worth the time?

For me, it was.

LinkedIn is a tool in a tool box, nothing more nothing less. The more I use it, the more I get out of it. I hear many people say they got a LinkedIn profile and it never did anything for them. You ask how many connections they have and they tell you 10-20.

I found it to be a valuable networking tool and also a means for me to stay current on new trends and materials in my industry.

It is a social network. Hell, there is even a SIGforum group, with 164 members, although it is not a very active group.

I have long admired the Gulfstream aircraft, on LinkedIn I can see the latest iteration of their aircraft.

I belong to a couple of EMS groups on LinkedIn.

There are a couple of Alumni groups I am members of.

Many of the Trade Organizations my company belongs to, have LinkedIn groups.

There is a local men’s group who uses it for keeping in touch.

LinkedIn is a service that does not require me to spend any money, unless I choose to. Like many things on the Internet, you pay with dollars or with data, nothing is free.

Before starting my day, I do check in to LinkedIn for no more than 5 minutes, just to see what is new and who is moving where.

Do I receive unwanted solicitations, sure. But I do not open or respond to anything I have no interest in. Yes, their sales people try to convince me to upgrade to the premium service, however, I have no need for it.

I have been a member since 2010.

Is it the right tool for everyone? No, just as the P-220 is not the best handgun platform for everyone.

It works for me, YMMV.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
LinkedIn was phenomenal when it was nothing more than an online, professional rolodex that automatically cross-linked all of your contacts.

Then it gradually turned into a social media platform and is now mostly crap.

I maintain my profile and connections for the purpose of being able to find professional contacts in a hurry if they've dropped off my radar for some reason, but I ignore everything else.

-Rob

pretty much mirrors my experience

its a tool -- use as necessary but with caution

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post