SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump judge nominee, 36, who has never tried a case, wins approval of Senate panel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump judge nominee, 36, who has never tried a case, wins approval of Senate panel Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
As mentioned above, practicing law involves a very wide range of activities beyond sitting in court. Moreover a great deal of the activity in a case is not conducted in open court, or even in chambers. In Federal Court, you often deal with the clerk on the details.
I'm well versed in how things work in Federal Court, including "beyond sitting in open court."

However, my point was, and is, that in a District Court judge I want someone with actual trial experience, that knows realities of a case in all aspects. Those who have never tried a case haven't seen their "activities beyond sitting in open court," truly tested, and haven't fully experienced the practice of the law. They have no real appreciation for the stress and difficulty of dealing with a federal judge, during hearings and trials. Motions hearings, and especially trials, are an aspect of the work that no amount of academic theory can wholly prepare you for, and even clerking, while a much more direct exposure to the experience, is not the same as "having skin in the game," as a lawyer for one of the parties.

Again, I've participated in the process for many years, and I want US District Court judges who have the full experience that trial lawyers have.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Likewise, you'd want a top notch Harvard law graduate making legal decisions.
So based on your logic, these you have no problem with the legal decisions from the following:

Stephen Breyer
Elena Kagan
David Souter
Anthony Kennedy

They're all Harvard Law School grads, yet seem to be somewhat unpopular with members of this forum.

I personally prefer more of a strict constructionist approach on the Court, but any problem I have with the judicial decisions of the Justices you named has nothing to do with their trial experience, or lack thereof.

The conversation we're having is about the necessity of experience practicing law in order to be an effective judge. Judicial philosophy is a different matter altogether.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
As mentioned above, practicing law involves a very wide range of activities beyond sitting in court. Moreover a great deal of the activity in a case is not conducted in open court, or even in chambers. In Federal Court, you often deal with the clerk on the details.
I'm well versed in how things work in Federal Court, including "beyond sitting in open court."

However, my point was, and is, that in a District Court judge I want someone with actual trial experience, that knows realities of a case in all aspects. Those who have never tried a case haven't seen their "activities beyond sitting in open court," truly tested, and haven't fully experienced the practice of the law. They have no real appreciation for the stress and difficulty of dealing with a federal judge, during hearings and trials. Motions hearings, and especially trials, are an aspect of the work that no amount of academic theory can wholly prepare you for, and even clerking, while a much more direct exposure to the experience, is not the same as "having skin in the game," as a lawyer for one of the parties.

Again, I've participated in the process for many years, and I want US District Court judges who have the full experience that trial lawyers have.

While my personal experience was clerking in a state district court, not federal, I can tell you that one year clerking for a district court judge is probably the equivalent experience of 10 years of trial practice. The areas where that person lacks in comparison to an experienced practicing attorney, are not the areas that are of consequence to a sitting judge.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Likewise, you'd want a top notch Harvard law graduate making legal decisions.
So based on your logic, these you have no problem with the legal decisions from the following:

Stephen Breyer
Elena Kagan
David Souter
Anthony Kennedy

They're all Harvard Law School grads, yet seem to be somewhat unpopular with members of this forum.

They're unpopular because of their ideology. But of course you know that so I'm not sure why you're pushing this line of argument.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bestowing anyone with that much power over anyone else's freedom without a track record to judge them by beforehand seems like a recipe for disaster. There are a scant few professions in the world with more authority over ones very freedom and life than that of a judge, especially one appointed for life, and it's no place for gambles or guessing, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here is the Judiciary Committee Questionnaire completed by each nominee with full details of the nominee’s background and qualifications.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're unpopular because of their ideology. But of course you know that so I'm not sure why you're pushing this line of argument.

I believe it is because their idology is directly tied to their place of indoctrination education.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I believe it is because their idology is directly tied to their place of indoctrination education.

Not particularly so.

Here is a list ofcurrent Supreme Court Justices, in seniority order, showing Law school, religious faith and President appointing them.

Roberts H C 43
Kennedy H C 40
Thomas Y C 41
Ginsberg C J 42
Breyer H J 42
Alito H C 43
Sotomayer Y C 44
Kagan H J 44
Gorsuch H E 45

Interesting to note that 6 are from Harvard, as was Justice Scalia. They range all over the place in “idology,” and ideology.

Edit to correct Kagan religious preference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVERY issue has become so politicized that "legal qualifications" are simply irrelevant IMO.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing about being a judge is that nobody has experience being a judge until they're a judge. I'm not thrilled this guy has a short resume when it comes to live courtroom time but many lawyers, even those who become judges, are short on live courtroom time. It's the nature of the game and the rush to settle cases to get a partial win instead of spending time and money on a total loss. He'll get a crash course on being a federal judge from from an experienced attorney or two in his district. They go over the federal rules of procedure and all that stuff alot of lawyers forget after the bar exam. They don't drop new judges into the fire without any prep. It's a district court so his cases are reviewable at the circuit and SCOTUS. Not to mention the 12 folks in the jury box getting their chance.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Part of it, too, is judicial temperament. Some people just do not have the personality, the temperament, to be a judge, and won’t like it when they are.

Actually sitting there holding court and deciding cases different than reading about it. There are restrictions on what you can do, who you talk to, socialize with. One friend of mine who went on the Superior Court bench after a sparkling career as a lawyer found it uncomfortably confining. He could only go to lunch with a couple of former partners, and other judges.

I served briefly as a judge pro tem, and did not much like it. It’s harder then it looks for one thing. You have to listen to lawyers all day long, too.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
... You have to listen to lawyers all day long, too.

That's what I've said since I started my practice 30 years ago, and more often after I stopped practicing law. The worst thing about practicing law is that you have to deal with other lawyers all day.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is a list ofcurrent Supreme Court Justices, in seniority order, showing Law school, religious faith and President appointing them.

Roberts H C 43
Kennedy H C 40
Thomas Y C 41
Ginsberg C J 42
Breyer H J 42
Alito H C 43
Sotomayer Y C 44
Kagan H C 44
Gorsuch H E 45

Sotomayor can call herself Catholic until the cows come home but she clearly does not practice the teachings of the Church.

And Kagan is Jewish.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

And Kagan is Jewish.

Right you are. Please forgive my sloppy editing. I’ll change it.