SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seattle approves income tax on wealthy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle approves income tax on wealthy Login/Join 
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Close the "wealth gap?"

Ya, it's pretty close all right, 250k/yr and 30k/yr.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Equalization through taxation.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"new formula for fairness"

Utter bullshit

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You know what happened when I raised taxes on my Sims in the SimCity game? Residents left and my tax revenue dried up. I learned that before the age of 15.

Freakin' morons is right.

Ahahahahaha. That just made me chuckle out loud.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Seattle will look like Detroit in 5 years!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why wait 5 years - parts probably already do

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
You knew Commiefornia would get a whiff of this and want some too....

May 22, 2018
Apple's shiny new 'spaceship' headquarters becomes a hostage to tax-greedy city of Cupertino
By Thomas Lifson

When Apple sought approval of its plans to build a massive 2.8-million-square-foot "spaceship" headquarters in 2013, it made a deal that included giving up a $2-million-a-year tax break from the City of Cupertino. In the words of the San Jose Mercury-News back then:

The nearly $2 million in Apple sales tax that Cupertino will now get to keep its hands on is only a small part of a list of goodies that the company's presence provides the town every year, said analyst Tim Bajarin with Creative Strategies.

"Apple pours money back into the Cupertino economy in a lot of ways," he said. "And many of the city's other businesses also gain from Apple and its employees being there and taking advantage of the city's stores and restaurants. So while this extra money is certainly nice, Cupertino already benefits a great deal from having Apple in town."

But the tax man (and woman) never has enough money. And now that the Apple spaceship has landed and is open for business, at an estimated $5-billion cost, greed is in the air. That architectural landmark, purposefully built for Apple (and difficult to rent out as commercial office space owing to scale, access, and design issues), is in effect a hostage. Taking a cue from Seattle's imposition of an employee tax levy on big corporations and similar head count taxes in other Bay Area cities, Cupertino smells money.

Wendy Lee reports in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Cupertino is exploring a tax on Apple and other companies based on the size of their workforce.

The tax would probably be structured similar to a proposal in Mountain View, said David Brandt, Cupertino's city manager. Cupertino has paid a firm to begin polling residents about the tax and how any revenue from it should be spent, Brandt said.

Apple did not immediately return a request for comment. The company has more than 25,000 employees in the Bay Area. Specific numbers for Cupertino – where it is by far the largest employer – were unavailable. ...

Mountain View is considering a head-count tax that could raise $10 million – of which Google would pay about half – under one scenario. The city could use the revenue for transportation or housing.

If I were Governor Greg Abbott of Texas, I would immediately propose an amendment to the state constitution outlawing head count taxes on corporations, and let Apple, Amazon, Google, and every other successful corporation in America know how much Texas would appreciate having all those jobs.

Gangsters and governments both prey on the successful and demand a "taste."

https://www.americanthinker.co...ty_of_cupertino.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Chellim, I saw that article yesterday. I live right in the middle of all that.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” (George Santayana-1905).

Who needs to study history anymore?

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
On top of this the city of Seattle enacted a head tax on corporations with offices in the city.

If I were the mayor of Bellevue, Redmond, Everett, Tacoma, etc., I would be calling the CEOs of all the big corporations in the City to point out that they would pay none of this if they moved their offices a few miles away, and they can still keep most of their employees.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If I was the mayor of a free city the last thing I’d do is invite these commie companies to my area. These aren’t the kind of people who learn from their mistakes. All that would happen is that the political landscape would change and in a few years your once free city would be overrun with liberals who would vote other liberals to office who will soon start proposing tax increases.

Liberals are a plague and I want to keep that plague as far away from me as I can.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:...Liberals are a plague and I want to keep that plague as far away from me as I can.

I always thought of liberals as parasites. But looking at overall impact, plague and parasite lead to the same results.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:...Liberals are a plague and I want to keep that plague as far away from me as I can.

I always thought of liberals as parasites. But looking at overall impact, plague and parasite lead to the same results.

Parasites is indeed a better word.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

Parasites is indeed a better word.

I think there are more than a few parasites that would take exception to that comparison !! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Seattle's gov. demanding 'a taste' may prove to be another states benefit as the 'tastees' may depart Wa. for healthier business climes...

If they don't leave Wa., then I have zero pity for them.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You know what happened when I raised taxes on my Sims in the SimCity game? Residents left and my tax revenue dried up. I learned that before the age of 15.

Freakin' morons is right.

Ahahahahaha. That just made me chuckle out loud.

Unfortunately the moronic leftists never learn.

Tax Revenues Climbed $18 Billion In First Month Of GOP Tax Cuts

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
HOW TO DESTROY A MAJOR CITY: One Week After Passing Massive Head Tax, Seattle Democrats Consider Huge Property Tax Increase

One week after passing a head tax on major businesses located in Seattle, including Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks, the Seattle City Council is now considering an enormous property tax on the people who work at those businesses. According to Q13 FOX, King County homeowners already saw a bump of 17 percent in their property taxes in 2017, but City Council members want property taxes increased even more:

Council members Lorena Gonzalez and Rob Johnson are sponsoring the measure, which states the council wants to lift the limit on regular property taxes in order to levy additional taxes… In 2014, Seattle voters approved a $58 million levy allowing low-income kids to go to preschool for free. Since 2015, the city says the program has allowed affordable or free preschool to 850 families. Now the city wants to send hundreds more to preschool. Mayor Jenny Durkan’s Office is also pushing to send high school graduates to community college for free.

The property tax would amount to, on average, more than another $250 per year for homeowners.

The homelessness problem in Seattle has continued to snowball (as John Stossel and Maxim Lott point out at Reason.com, Seattle’s building code is 745 pages, and the residential building code is another 685 pages); the Seattle City Council has focused far more on “road diets” – narrowing roads via bike lanes – than on the quality of traffic; King County has spent billions on useless light rail. But now they want to bust homeowners’ wallets again – after instituting a $15 minimum wage and a head tax.

This is how Leftist governance destroys thriving major cities. First, you create building codes. That raises rents. Then you increase minimum wage to compensate. That drives out small businesses. Then you tax the big businesses to compensate. So they leave. Then you tax homeowners to compensate. So they leave. Eventually, bad governance based on good intentions crushes growth. But so long as members of the Seattle City Council feel good about themselves, that’s what truly matters.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...-passing-ben-shapiro

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is why you should always rent your office space.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
You knew Commiefornia would get a whiff of this and want some too....

May 22, 2018
Apple's shiny new 'spaceship' headquarters becomes a hostage to tax-greedy city of Cupertino
By Thomas Lifson

When Apple sought approval of its plans to build a massive 2.8-million-square-foot "spaceship" headquarters in 2013, it made a deal that included giving up a $2-million-a-year tax break from the City of Cupertino. In the words of the San Jose Mercury-News back then:

The nearly $2 million in Apple sales tax that Cupertino will now get to keep its hands on is only a small part of a list of goodies that the company's presence provides the town every year, said analyst Tim Bajarin with Creative Strategies.

"Apple pours money back into the Cupertino economy in a lot of ways," he said. "And many of the city's other businesses also gain from Apple and its employees being there and taking advantage of the city's stores and restaurants. So while this extra money is certainly nice, Cupertino already benefits a great deal from having Apple in town."

But the tax man (and woman) never has enough money. And now that the Apple spaceship has landed and is open for business, at an estimated $5-billion cost, greed is in the air. That architectural landmark, purposefully built for Apple (and difficult to rent out as commercial office space owing to scale, access, and design issues), is in effect a hostage. Taking a cue from Seattle's imposition of an employee tax levy on big corporations and similar head count taxes in other Bay Area cities, Cupertino smells money.

Wendy Lee reports in the San Francisco Chronicle:

Cupertino is exploring a tax on Apple and other companies based on the size of their workforce.

The tax would probably be structured similar to a proposal in Mountain View, said David Brandt, Cupertino's city manager. Cupertino has paid a firm to begin polling residents about the tax and how any revenue from it should be spent, Brandt said.

Apple did not immediately return a request for comment. The company has more than 25,000 employees in the Bay Area. Specific numbers for Cupertino – where it is by far the largest employer – were unavailable. ...

Mountain View is considering a head-count tax that could raise $10 million – of which Google would pay about half – under one scenario. The city could use the revenue for transportation or housing.

If I were Governor Greg Abbott of Texas, I would immediately propose an amendment to the state constitution outlawing head count taxes on corporations, and let Apple, Amazon, Google, and every other successful corporation in America know how much Texas would appreciate having all those jobs.

https://www.americanthinker.co...ty_of_cupertino.html

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
“Free” shit sure is expensive.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post