SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seattle approves income tax on wealthy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle approves income tax on wealthy Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I do believe that Seattle is being ran by morons.

Washington is one of seven states that does not have a personal income tax, but this week one of its cities approved one on just its wealthiest residents.

Late Monday the Seattle City Council voted unanimously in favor of a personal income tax on its top earning residents. Individuals with incomes in excess of $250,000 and those filing jointly with incomes in excess of $500,000 would be subject to a 2.25% tariff. People with incomes below those thresholds would not be affected.

Seattle believes the tax will raise around $140 million per year and could help close the wealth gap in the city, while the mayor also cited President Donald Trump’s economic agenda as a reason to introduce the tax.

“Seattle is challenging this state’s antiquated and unsustainable tax structure by passing a progressive income tax,” Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement on his website. “Our goal is to replace our regressive tax system with a new formula for fairness, while ensuring Seattle stands up to President Trump’s austere budget that cuts transportation, affordable housing, healthcare, and social services. This is a fight for economic stability, equity, and justice.”

The measure was proposed earlier this year by a local activist group named Trump-Proof Seattle, according to Reuters. However, Trump-Proof Seattle’s proposal called for a more modest 1.5% tax, according to the organization’s website.

Due to the explosive growth of Seattle-based Amazon (AMZN), housing prices have skyrocketed in the area—and supporters believe the income tax could be used to expand affordable housing.

“Protecting our communities requires resources. We’re in a weak position to cope with cuts because of Washington State’s regressive tax system: lower-income households already pay high state and local taxes, and yet we can’t fund basic services like education … We can fight back by requiring the wealthiest households to pay a fairer share of taxes,” Trump-Proof Seattle’s site said.

Despite the city’s support, the measure will likely face legal challenges. State law prohibits a city or county from taxing “net” income, though it fails to explicitly define exactly what “net” refers to.

Supporters say the tax would impact just 20,000 out of more than 660,000 Seattle residents. The city hopes its tax will provide an example and open discussions about changing tax structures in other local communities. In addition to Washington, Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota Texas and Wyoming do not require residents to pay an income tax.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/pol...es-trump-agenda.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
What could go wrong?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Frasier Crane got out in time.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That sucking sound up in the northwest?

Money, going out the window.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sweet, why not make it a 50 percent tax? Let's not beat around the bush here. If 2 percent is good, 50 percent should be real good.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweet, why not make it a 50 percent tax? Let's not beat around the bush here. If 2 percent is good, 50 percent should be real good.

Why not charge registered Democrats a surcharge on top of the surcharge?

They always have these great ideas and claim that they should help, but nobody ever puts them in a legal position to do so.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Why not charge registered Democrats a surcharge on top of the surcharge?

They always have these great ideas and claim that they should help, but nobody ever puts them in a legal position to do so.

I like the way you think.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Amazing isn't it?

The article I read yesterday said the initial recommendation was 2% and the "Finance Committee" approved the bill but only after INCREASING the rate to 2.25%.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Seattle is challenging this state’s antiquated and unsustainable tax structure by passing a progressive income tax,” said Mayor Murray. “Our goal is to replace our regressive tax system with a new formula for fairness, while ensuring Seattle stands up to President Trump’s austere budget that cuts transportation, affordable housing, healthcare, and social services. This is a fight for economic stability, equity, and justice.”

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it will "close the wealth gap". The big money will leave town and the rest will naturally have a smaller gap. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Washington is one of seven states that does not have a personal income tax....

In addition to Washington, Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota Texas and Wyoming do not require residents to pay an income tax.

The forgot New Hampshire....No income tax (or sales tax) here either. Live Free, or Die! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I'm sure it will "close the wealth gap". The big money will leave town and the rest will naturally have a smaller gap. Roll Eyes

Not only will the big money leave. Property values will dive because nobody, in the lower income bracket, will be able to afford to buy the empty high value homes.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

The City of St. Louis did this in 1950.
The population peaked that year and people began moving out of the City, to the County and outlying areas without the City earnings tax:

It's been downhill for the City ever since. The City now has a smaller population than it did in 1870, 150 years ago when the population stood at 351,189. In 2010, the most recent census, the population of the City of St. Louis stood at 319,294 down from 856,796 in 1950.

"Progressives" never learn; they end up hurting the people most they say they are helping.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If a state has no personal income tax can a city just decide to have one? Is there any kind of preemption law?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Lets re cap:

1. $15.00 an hour minimum wage not working out but still other Dim ran cities are trying it out:

New Study on Seattle Minimum Wage

2. Seattle Gun Tax is a failure but in spite of that other Dim ran cities are adding that tax:

Seattle Gun Tax

3. Seattle proposes soda tax like NY and Chicago even though it has been a non starter or out right failure:

Seattle Soda Tax

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. 2018 and 2020 doesn't look good for the dims.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You know what happened when I raised taxes on my Sims in the SimCity game? Residents left and my tax revenue dried up. I learned that before the age of 15.

Freakin' morons is right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure 1%ers are climbing over each other trying to get into the city and pay their fair share.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You know what happened when I raised taxes on my Sims in the SimCity game? Residents left and my tax revenue dried up. I learned that before the age of 15.

Freakin' morons is right.

Bulldoze one square with trees on it, and the hippies shit transgendered spotted owls too. Then they bitch because there's no roads and parks and water treatment plants. SimCity taught me that hippies should just be gassed. Or crushed by a giant alien robot spider. Either works.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
They are doing it, and yet still managed to blame Trump for it.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Cuz all those pesky rich folks wouldn't ever think to move. Is there some kind of ankle bracelet that shackles these folks to the city as well?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I am sure I could google this, but is it 2.25% on anything over $250,000 or is it total? If it is the percentage of all of your income once you trip the $250k mark, there are lots of ways around this. In my opinion, this really is a punishment for high earning single people since it's probably a little more difficult to have a family with two people hitting the $500k mark, still living in Seattle proper.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post