SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else overrun with almost empty bottles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else overrun with almost empty bottles? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Somehow I have managed to accumulate a hundred or more bottles of not quite finished products of all sorts. They are taking over my garage.

Tell me I'm not the only one? I mean, one day I'm going to need that bottle of concrete crack filler with only 1" of the stuff in it! I don't have anything that specifically takes 10w-30 oil, but I have a little of that too, you know, just in case. We don't want to discuss the variety of colors of spray paint that could barely cover a coffee cup.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother is a firefighter. They run a hazardous materials collection every month. This is a good place for that stuff.
While doing a community service it also helps the fire department in terms of a garage fire. A fully involved house fire with all the stuff in the house exposes them to all kinds of interesting fumes, as well as fueling the fire in many cases.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I mix motor oil, within reason. That cuts down on the small leftovers. 5-30/10-30, it's all close enough.

Some stuff can be opened to harden, evaporate, or dry & then thrown in the garbage.

I do have some 'marvel mystery oil' I need to find a use for though.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I'm overrun with water and juice bottles with about 5% of their liquid remaining. My kids love to drink almost the entire drink then leave the rest sitting there. sounds like a slightly different issue than your though!

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Our kids do the same, which I'm always reminding them about. Finish the one, then put the empty about, before another. Not so much soda/pop since we don't often have that around.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No. My employer moves me every few years which means I have to get rid of garage liquids prior to movers arriving. My problem is that I remember buying something but can't remember if I bought it at the present location.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah but I needed mineral oil for the first time in years to wipe down iron wood scales on a new knife. I found the 1/4 of a bottle that expired in 2011.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arabiancowboy and sourdough44, you guys are lucky! My clan absconds with the water bottles that I buy to take to work, then leave them opened and drank about 10% of the way down, and left all over the place, nearly full, to taunt me!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
No. My employer moves me every few years which means I have to get rid of garage liquids prior to movers arriving. My problem is that I remember buying something but can't remember if I bought it at the present location.
This. The Navy movers "hazardous" substance is rather broad, so if it doesn't fit in the small carve out of space in the car, it gets dished out to friends.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post