SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eggs & Soldiers – UK breakfast treat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggs & Soldiers – UK breakfast treat Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
You have brought back a lot of very happy memories for me, Pipesmoker!!!! Thank you very much. Growing up in India, I used to have breakfast with my maternal Grandpa, who was a graduate of the RMA, Sandhurst, and though he was Indian, he really used to like thigs done in the proper British-Indian way. Which meant, having soft boiled eggs and Soldiers, with butter and Marmite every morning!!!!! Your post has inspired me, I got to cook some soft boiled eggs and toasted soldiers for my breakfast tomorrow. Smile
Thanks for posting.

You’re welcome!

Marmite for Eggs & Soldiers? Thanks for that idea! I hadn’t thought of that, even though I have some Marmite nearly every day.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7370064764

I buy Marmite in 600g tubs (seen in the link above). Much easier to dip out without fouling the rim of the container.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, especially for the link to the Amazon link for Marmite!!! Thank you also to the various wonderful food related posts you post on the forum.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
V. odd.

In the US you say 'eggs AND soldiers'. Here in UK we just say 'egg soldiers'.

Like you say 'macaroni AND cheese' and we just say 'macaroni cheese'.

Guess it's because you are all that bit better off than we are, and can afford the extra words....Wink

We had to something with all those extra letters we cut out! Smile

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What a great idea for leftover pizza!

Going to order the giant family size for us two next time out.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have brought back a lot of very happy memories for me, Pipesmoker!!!! Thank you very much. Growing up in India, I used to have breakfast with my maternal Grandpa, who was a graduate of the RMA, Sandhurst, and though he was Indian, he really used to like thigs done in the proper British-Indian way. Which meant, having soft boiled eggs and Soldiers, with butter and Marmite every morning!!!!! Your post has inspired me, I got to cook some soft boiled eggs and toasted soldiers for my breakfast tomorrow. Smile
Thanks for posting.

Ah, food-related memories.

Such a cool post, thank you for sharing this Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize we weren't civilized, but when I was a kid, we'd tear the bread into pieces and put the whole egg on top in a bowl.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
V. odd.

In the US you say 'eggs AND soldiers'. Here in UK we just say 'egg soldiers'.

Like you say 'macaroni AND cheese' and we just say 'macaroni cheese'.

Guess it's because you are all that bit better off than we are, and can afford the extra words....Wink

We had to something with all those extra letters we cut out! Smile

Big Grin

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for posting.

I’ve often seen instances of Indian folks that observed British traditions even more closely than folks born and raised in the UK. Always brings a smile to my face. Smile

I made eggs and soldiers again yesterday. Tasty!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post