SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eggs & Soldiers – UK breakfast treat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggs & Soldiers – UK breakfast treat Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I usually fry my eggs, but occasionally I make Eggs & Soldiers – four soft-boiled eggs and narrow pieces of toast (the “soldiers”) to dip into the yolks – a nice change-up. I cook the eggs in my pressure cooker and toast narrow bread strips in my Breville Smart Grill (don’t own a pop-up toaster). Lots of herbed butter on the soldiers, and freshly ground black pepper on each bite of egg. Some photos:

I have two egg toppers. The shorter one is spring operated, the longer is gravity operated (the SS ball is released to slide down the rod, whacking the cup to drive its edge into the egg shell). There’s a learning curve for both, but it’s gentler for the gravity operated one, and it’s also easier to compensate for variations in shell toughness.

Eggs & Soldiers – a good choice for Sunday morning, with the whole day before you, and no pressing duties!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this, and also for leaving it unprotected.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ugh!

For whatever reason, I find runny eggs rather disgusting. II recall as a kid always putting my big box of cheerios between me and my Mother at the breakfast table. As she liked runny eggs. That photo instantly brought back that memory.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My grandpa used to make me that when I was a kid, except he used margarine, that was the only bad part. I've tried to do soft boiled eggs myself, either turns out medium boiled or whites runny. Gave up.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
No anchovies?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
... I've tried to do soft boiled eggs myself, either turns out medium boiled or whites runny. Gave up.

Try this; it works great. I use 6.5min for extra large eggs.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
V. odd.

In the US you say 'eggs AND soldiers'. Here in UK we just say 'egg soldiers'.

Like you say 'macaroni AND cheese' and we just say 'macaroni cheese'.

Guess it's because you are all that bit better off than we are, and can afford the extra words....Wink

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks good, I’ll have to give it a try.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done and looks like you have the equipment for it too. Looks delicious. I’ve never invested in an egg cracker, although we do have some egg holders about. How long in the pressure cooker would you say?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos of a delicious looking breakfast.

Thank you very much for sharing Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
V. odd.

Guess it's because you are all that bit better off than we are, and can afford the extra words....Wink

So, is it then Fish Chips?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
... and 'man wife'? Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
V. odd.

Not to hijack, but I chuckled at this. I have a sergeant at work from Scotland. I told him a couple weeks ago that I was surprised they just called macaroni and cheese “macaroni cheese” and not something silly like “piddlywinks and chonkers,” which launched into a discussion about the subtle differences in dialect. He mentioned American English tends to be over specific. “In the US, you say ‘horseback riding,’ but in the UK, we just said ‘horse riding’ because what other part of the fuckin’ thing would you sit on?”

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
English? My Sicilian/Italian mother ate eggs that way all the time. She used a Shot Glass to hold the egg & buttered bread instead of toast.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Scot friend hasn't yet been to San Francisco. Sometimes there's a reason for specificity.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
My Grandmother made that for me when I was a kid. She also put the egg on a shot glass and toasted a piece of Silver Cup bread, then buttered and sliced into strips.

Thanks for the memory.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:

My Grandmother made that for me when I was a kid. She also put the egg on a shot glass and toasted a piece of Silver Cup bread, then buttered and sliced into strips.
Silvercup bread. Ah, that's a memory. It was the only kind we would buy. I haven't seen it for decades. I think they went out of business in 1975.

Shot glass for an egg cup. I never thought of that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
lovely display OP, appreciate your victuals here;
I've never actually seen an egg cracker in the flesh.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have brought back a lot of very happy memories for me, Pipesmoker!!!! Thank you very much. Growing up in India, I used to have breakfast with my maternal Grandpa, who was a graduate of the RMA, Sandhurst, and though he was Indian, he really used to like thigs done in the proper British-Indian way. Which meant, having soft boiled eggs and Soldiers, with butter and Marmite every morning!!!!! Your post has inspired me, I got to cook some soft boiled eggs and toasted soldiers for my breakfast tomorrow. Smile
Thanks for posting.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:

Silvercup bread. Ah, that's a memory. It was the only kind we would buy. I haven't seen it for decades. I think they went out of business in 1975.

Shot glass for an egg cup. I never thought of that.

Ha! Ya, Silver Cup Bread and Wonderbread (helps builds strong bodies 12 ways) Smile

Fond memories.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post