SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Einstein? Nah. Tesla? Nope. The real genius and my hero...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Einstein? Nah. Tesla? Nope. The real genius and my hero... Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
...the guy who said "I'm gonna put air in a bag and sell it to people!"

Balls and brains.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
"Real Men of Geniouuuuus."
"Today we salute you Mr. 'put air in a bag and ship iiIIT!'"

"There's nothing like a box full of fake ADs"

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That stuff is worth innumerable times what it weighs if you work in shipping. One job where we sold a lot stuff on eBay, we saved every single one of those airpak’s in every crevice we could conceivably hide them in the building. The guy we shipped a late 60’s Marshall Plexi head to appreciated the amount of over-packing we did, and it couldn’t have happened without those little gifts from God.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think these things are garbage.

Every time I’ve had something damaged in shipping it was due to those things being popped in transit.

With bubble wrap if a couple bubbles pop it’s no big deal. With those if one pops it allows a lot of movement and ultimately damage to what it was protecting.

They’re fine for some things, but not most things.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTOH, the inventor of the Styrofoam packing peanut should roast in hell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I save them for when I have to send stuff off. I love them.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Every time I’ve had something damaged in shipping it was due to those things being popped in transit.

With bubble wrap if a couple bubbles pop it’s no big deal. With those if one pops it allows a lot of movement and ultimately damage to what it was protecting.

That’s more in how they’re used than that they’re used. It’s another tool in the box and a piss-poor packaging job can be done with tons of bubble wrap just as well as anything else.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Used to come in a can

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Hah! Anyone that wastes their money on these is a chump. The air is free so I just put whatever I’m shipping in the box, dump in some extra air, and send it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

I agree. I receive a lot of packages in my business, and these things are crap for packing material. I save crumpled paper and peanuts, but these things I immediately destroy with scissors or razor knife, so they don’t take up as much space in my trash.

Storing these is close to insane. A major reason companies use them, other than being cheap, is that they don’t have to store volumes of packing material. They fill these with air as needed. I would never store this crap.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
A company I used to work for used thousands of those a day in the shipping department. The plastic would arrive on giant spools. There were numerous machines that would inflate a portion of the sleeve and then a heating element would seal them off one at a time. It was almost hypnotic to watch.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
...the guy who said "I'm gonna put air in a bag and sell it to people!"

Balls and brains.
Reminds me of my buddy in Alaska who built iceroads. “I dump water on the ground in the arctic circle in January and everyone in Houston or moves up from Houston thinks I’m genius because I can build miles of road a day.”

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see you that guy and raise you the guy who invented floor sweep.

Take waste sawdust box it up. Sell it to people who throw it on the floor sweep it up and throw it away.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
What about the first dude who decided to fill a bottle with tap water and sell it for a couple of bucks? Now THAT was a genius move, right up there with pet rocks. The air filled bag joins the ranks.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
OTOH, the inventor of the Styrofoam packing peanut should roast in hell.

Nah. I’ve never had anything arrive damaged with the peanuts. Unlike the air bags. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Of course the bags break, that's so you have to buy more! Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Just had an item badly damaged , shipped from a UPS Store in FL here to MT. Thankfully the seller wrapped the item nicely in bubblewrap and cellophane. As all the UPS Store idiots did was drop it into a box that was way too big, then stuff it with those air bags.

Maybe 10% of the bags arrived INflated, the rest were destroyed. So the item bounced around in the big box as it came cross country.

The seller pursued the clam and I was nicely remunerated. He told me the UPS claims division told him that certain States no longer allow Styrofoam peanuts as packing material. Due to it being a landfill issue !?!?

So we are probably stuck with the worthless airbags.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post