SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had Rotator Cuff Surgery Today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had Rotator Cuff Surgery Today Login/Join 
Picture of Poacher
posted
And am a little shocked at how good I feel. Had the left one done 10 years ago and it was brutal and the pain meds knocked me on my butt.
Today I got home at noon and have been bored since 2:00 and the meds aren't putting me to sleep.

Those being good things though for certain. Downside is the sling I'm in is the size of the Gatling gun rig from Predator.

Happy to be learning to do everything left handed too Smile

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Still recovering but I had a lot of damage. The procedure has improved in the last decade and there is a good reason for the sling contraption. Did you get the ice machine? Works better than the meds. I would leave it running as long as I could tolerate it.

When do you start PT?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I did get the chiller, and stay on it when I'm stationary.
PT 26 and 28 December.

My left shoulder was much worse as well and was caused by a bone spur they had to Dremel off.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Do your PT (and it will hurt) be vigilant and you'll be just fine.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been putting off my own eventual rotator cuff surgery for over 50 years. Starting to look like it will be more tolerable in the coming few years than putting up with not having repair.

Reading the stories of recovery with interest.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Best wishes on your recovery..

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
There's a new sling for post op shoulder surgery, that speeds up the healing/recovery time. It's called the V-Sling and it hotter than the barrel of an M1a!
look into it.
If you can't find it lemme know, I'll get you one!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Had surgery almost four years ago for a torn rotator cuff and three bone spurs.

Do your P.T., don't get frustrated with it like I did. It felt like I was going nowhere then suddenly came the "AHA" moment.

Before that moment I contemplated selling the bikes and my four speed car, never figured I'd be able to use any of them.

Stock up on scrubs shirts a size or two larger than normal. Easy in and out.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, but glad you made thru ok. Since you’ve done it before, you know the drill and what fun the PT will be. Did you make it up north for pheasant hunting this year? Take care and enjoy the holidays while you heal up.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I've been putting off my own eventual rotator cuff surgery for over 50 years. Starting to look like it will be more tolerable in the coming few years than putting up with not having repair.

Keep waiting. The good news is procedures and techniques keep getting better. The bad news is the damage keeps getting worse. Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
So, you going to be ready by spring training? Big Grin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Chop-sticks?

I'm next. My right shoulder has more than bursitis going on.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Had both of mine done, about tenyears apart. The first one was much less serious, and the surgery more primitive. I was filleted like a trout. The second one was one of those microsurgery three holes deals, and was waaay easier on me, although I seem to have several drywall anchors imbedded in there now. Sleep in your recliner. It helps. Most importantly, do what your Physical Terrorists say.The sling makes a handy pocket, andyou can stash a .380 or A J frame in there, ifyou want to.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
And am a little shocked at how good I feel.

Report back when your nerve block wears off. Wink Razz

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
For those of you contemplating surgery, seek out the best ortho doctor available within commuting distance. Mine is considered the best in New England. All he does is shoulders and elbows. You don’t want the guy who’s bored with hips or knees so he’s decided to switch to shoulders. And if he just got out of med school let him practice on other patients...for 10 or 15 years at least.

I also suggest using a physical therapist who is attached to the surgeons practice even though your insurer doesn’t require you to. If a problem comes up they can easily confer with each other.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Ain’t that the truth

posted Hide Post
I didn’t have my rotator cuff done but in October I dislocated and broke my shoulder and had to get surgery and I too was surprised at the lack of pain. I just got out of that ridiculous sling about a week ago. Did they give you an ice machine? That thing was a life saver for me. I didn’t even need the pain meds they gave me

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Sorry to hear, but glad you made thru ok. Since you’ve done it before, you know the drill and what fun the PT will be. Did you make it up north for pheasant hunting this year? Take care and enjoy the holidays while you heal up.

Got back from SD on the fifth, but didn’t hunt—our place went commercial Frown

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I had rotator cuff and bicep tenodesis in April. The ice machine worked better than the pain meds by far. My physical therapy was almost worthless until I PCS'ed and was able to do it at Walter Reed and then my mobility and strength improved dramatically. I still have daily pain but I'm able to do most of what I need to as a Soldier without much complaint. Hope your recovery goes well.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

More meds!

NRA Life Member