SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Filson packer jacket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filson packer jacket Login/Join 
posted
I was hoping to get some input on these jackets. Are they worth the money? They seem a little pricey. How is the sizing? Run big/small or true? I don't have a store close to me. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Input on the liners is also welcome.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive got a tinned packer that is over 30 yrs old and still stiff. Shows basically zero wear. I used it for upland bird hunting for most of its life

I found mine to run a little big but it assists with layering underneath. With the wool liner it was often too warm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The old Filson jackets seemed to run a little big. I lost my best one, left it in a restaurant out in Kansas. Stupid me, it was a great jacket.

To me it seems they're sized to wear a flannel shirt underneath. But the company has changed to a style company, not an outdoors company. I liked it the old way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've got a shelter cloth waterfowl/upland coat, Upland Hunting Vest and a medium twill duffel bag.

I've used all hard and continuously for around 25 years and they look like they're good for another 75 years.

They're definitely worth the money if you want something that will last the rest of your life.

IMO, the jackets run a little big but not much, just a little.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I have a few Filson jackets...some seem to run true, most seem to run large (in my opinion). I have a Filson Field Jacket that runs large...I usually wear a L in jackets, etc, but this Filson Field, I ended up with a M.

I have a Packer jacket that I ordered from ebay. If I remember correctly, it's a size L, and it's too big.

davea, I sent you an email regarding that particular Packer. Maybe it would work for you if you're intereted.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stiff.

Waxed canvas for apparel has been around for quite awhile, however, things have evolved and there's lighter, warmer, better performing and more comfortable options out there but, if you like the look and the process of breaking-in a jacket, they're pretty unique.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Stiff.

Waxed canvas for apparel has been around for quite awhile, however, things have evolved and there's lighter, warmer, better performing and more comfortable options out there but, if you like the look and the process of breaking-in a jacket, they're pretty unique.

They are very stiff, indeed. My field jacket is starting to break in nicely. They also seem to have a particular odor...I've read that it's the actual oil that smells. Personally, I like the smell.

For me, I have to admit, I just like the looks and feel of the tin cloth. And, they are warm as can be.
But I have more coats and jackets than I care to admit.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Agree with all the above. I looked at the Filson jackets that I have. All but one jacket is labeled as XL ... and I am 5'11" at 210 lbs. The jackets have enough room that I could gain 10 to 15 lbs and the jackets will still fit. The one jacket that is not labeled XL is a 30+ year old double tin Packer (double layers yoke and sleeves) that has the old school stiff wax sized as 44. This is a big 44 as I still have plenty of room and will wear my Mackinaw Wool Cruiser Jacket inside the double tin when it is really cold outside.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was gifted a tin vest about 20 years ago. Perfection. Yes there's an odor
particular to the wax. I discovered if it's raining hard enough to ne
the sleeves it's time to work inside for the duration .

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a wool jacket I’ve had for years lightweight but warm. I don’t see it listed anymore. Was called am “Alaskan Tuxedo”.

I live about 30 miles from Austin. I occasionally see Filson items worn there in cooler weather as the Austin testosterone challenged millennial hipsters have adopted “Lumberjack Drag” as their costume of the day.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank everyones input. pawprintsdoc especially. I contacted Filson and have determined a size XL is the correct fit for me. I've found a dealer selling off winter product at a discounted price. These jackets are very impressive. Thanks again for this great forum. You folks have always helped when I've had questions.
Best
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post