SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP: Lincoln Continental
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP: Lincoln Continental Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I looked at one - the rear seats had such little head room, there were "bubbles" in the ceiling, for folks to try to fit their head.

Good looking car, let down by bean counters/for some reason, American companies refuse to make large, comfortable sedans - aside from Tesla - which is selling lots of sedans to Americans - as are BMW, and MB.

The Challenger Redeye Widebody is a "cool" car - and my alternative to my Tesla (The Tesla was a daily driver. If I got the challenger, I was going to drive my old truck to work, most days.)

Honestly, most of the top-end muscle cars have more "cool", power and presence than the imports - but require dealing with American dealers - and most of those are abusive, and annoying.

If it wasn't for the dealers, I don't understand why anyone would buy a convertible BMW, lower end MB, or Porsche, over the top end convertible muscle cars - if the muscle cars were available with roll over bars. (VW convertibles at ~20K have them - 80K American convertibles do not.)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
1940 Continental pictured about 1960

At the time this one was the earliest one known. Dad only let me drive it in a parking lot. I did however drive the Mark II many times.

The darker 1940 won the FoMoCo LCOC trophy in 1960

I don't have handy a personal pix. Here is a FoMoCo pix of a Mark II.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Only 6,586 sold in '19. Thats really weak.

Link

Just out of curiosity I looked the Nissan plant in Smyrna TN, and it has a capacity to build ~DOUBLE that amount of cars... in a WEEK.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I guess this makes Cadillac the winner Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I drove many Town Cars as the limo of choice in protection operations and found them to be superb automobiles for the purpose. Lots of power, great handling, smooth quiet ride, rear wheel drive, lots of passenger head and leg room in the back seat. When we had a very tall protectee, we had to use the Town Car vs the Caddy because there was not enough seating height in the back seat of the Caddy. They were on the same chassis as the Ford Crown Victoria. When Ford announced they were discontinuing the Crown Vic, police chiefs and sheriffs complained and Ford agreed to continue the Crown Vic until they stopped making the Town Car. Once I drove a Tahoe and Suburban in a protection detail I knew the Town Car was doomed. The Lincoln appealed to a niche clientele.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Lincoln had some pricey cars back then. Try finding one of these now.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I guess someone is looking for new office space.
PS: Good Movie.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the need for a 2020 version of the "42" Ford F-1 panel truck.

With the double rear doors.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since Ford stopped making and selling cars and now Lincoln, I wonder if they are simply stopping the production of gas vehicles and working on a new line of E-Vehicles, it's possible they are reallocating resources from the old design, eliminating production costs, etc.

The GT-E Mustang is a hint at the direction, and Luxury vehicle companies are all developing or have developed an electric or hybrid electric drive vehicle.

Posts: 23388 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
In my mind Lincoln missed an opportunity to make real noise with their continental when they decided to make the suicide door model so limited in numbers, I mean 80 units the anniversary year followed by 200'ish.

I thought that the Continental was a nice US brand car and would be very tempted to buy one if they had the suicide door as a reasonable option just for the novelty of it.
Now I guess they will be collectibles...

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford figured out a long time ago that people are willing to pay a whole lot more than SUV's are worth with respect to cost of manufacture.

All you have to do is take a car, make it a station wagon, lift the suspension, install bigger tires, give it an off-roady name, and add some kind of optional AWD and you can sell it for a lot more than the car version, without spending a whole lot more to build it.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2017 Continental continues to garner positive comments for its styling and still impresses me with its twin turbo 6 cylinder. Back seat room is pretty darn spacious unless you compare it an Full Size SUV or a Beamer 7 series. Now mind you, I dont like SUVs or crossovers for day to driving. I like big sedans. I am disappointed they are discontinuing this model.
Also keep in mind that my comments may be biased given my long history driving Lincoln Town Yachts.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Wait, so a rebadged Ford Taurus can't compete with BMW. Mercedes and Audi? I'm shocked.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have a Lincoln MKX. My first Lincoln. One of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post