SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP: Lincoln Continental
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP: Lincoln Continental Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Ford says it is killing off 82-year-old Lincoln Continental

“The Ford Motor Company confirmed that it will cease all production of the Continental at the end of this year.

Ford said the declining sales of full-size premium sedans and the rising popularity of SUVs persuaded it to kill off the Continental for good.”

https://mol.im/a/8484821

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Another Icon that the Luxury imports killed.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not imports it change of tastes.

In a few years, there will be no sedans.

It will be either sports type cars or suvs.

or a combination like the Porsche Cayenne.

Every car company will maybe keep one sedan in their line until the people stop buying them.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Had nothing to do with imports. It just sucked.

No innovation.

No style.

No fury.

Ford killed it off either by intent or incompetence....or both.

The Lincoln Continental was a sheep.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

How is the quality of the recent Continentals? I've never been in one.

I think there's a stereotype to the Lincoln as well: it's an old persons car.

I have been in MB, Lexus and Audi vehicles and they are well refined cars, especially the Audi, IMO.

The change in demand from the American consumer also killed this car. Many are going to the crossover these days.

Posts: 13092 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know there was a currently produced Continental. Apparently that is how few were sold.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
That Dinosaur needs to go.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The average age of a Continental owner is the same as a Buick owner. Deceased.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I don’t think imports have anything to do with it.

The Continental was badass. Even the newer version with suicide doors was pretty damn cool. It was what was offered for the price. A loaded Continental with the suicide doors was $100k Even a fully loaded 2020 is $80k. Compare that to any other luxury car. I am pretty familiar with Mercedes, so I‘ll use a Mercedes.
You can buy a brand new E350 that is loaded to the ends of the earth, heated and cooled seats, massaging seats, self parking, killer sound system, it will read the speed limit signs and set your cruise control, soft close doors, air purifier... plus safety features that are pretty amazing. Comes in at $70k.

It isn’t so much as imports. It’s that they were offering a substandard car for too much money.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

How is the quality of the recent Continentals? I've never been in one.

I think there's a stereotype to the Lincoln as well: it's an old persons car.

I have been in MB, Lexus and Audi vehicles and they are well refined cars, especially the Audi, IMO.

The change in demand from the American consumer also killed this car. Many are going to the crossover these days.
I have seen the 2020 Navigator from distance ans its a thing of beauty. I know Lincoln has always been a fancy vehicle but know nothing of Navigator. It makes the sedan look like rolling junk. As I see some of the new Ford products, they seem very well fitted body wise. If the company would just incorporate quality into the vehicles.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oh and the Conti may go away for a few years and come back as the market changes. I see Toyotas Venza SUV will be back in 2021. It was discontinued in 2015. Now its a space ship looking thing.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My SIL had an early 90s model back about 20 years ago. There was a host of poorly executed features that made it a headache to own and uncomfortable to even ride in the back seat.

I had a professional driving instructor about 1960 trade me lawn mowing jobs for the series of driver lessons. It was the full 4-door convertible. Good swap IMO.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not been in one in many years but as a teenager a few of us raked leaves for a local business owner on Sundays.

He had a Lincoln Mark IV & a Lincoln Mark V that he picked us up with, alternated cars weekly. (Studebaker Avanti in the garage)

Back then, I thought that a Continental was the lap of luxury, now.....I concur with y'all. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1933 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
There is a airport limo service up here that had a fleet of Continentals and they slowly switched over to Navigators through the years.

Having used both, I preferred the Navigatior as it was easier to get in/out of, carried more luggage, had the ability to carry more people.

Ride quality was similar, comfort was close as well. I know some prefer the "car" feel, but I just don't see it being enough to justify keeping the line operating.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
It's not imports it change of tastes.

In a few years, there will be no sedans.

It will be either sports type cars or suvs.

or a combination like the Porsche Cayenne.

Every car company will maybe keep one sedan in their line until the people stop buying them.

If you look back at the movies of the '30s and '40s, pretty much every passenger vehicle on the road was a precursor to todays' Suburban Assault Vehicle: Squared-off back, boxy passenger compartment (two- or four-door) and an extended hood/engine compartment. We aren't seeing anything new.

The "roadster" was the exception. Usually a convertible, two-seater with a "rumble seat" or luggage area in the back.

There is nothing new under the sun.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I should clarify, Lincoln died because the competition advanced and Lincoln remained stagnant sitting on its laurels.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
When I grow up I want to own a modern, full size RWD crown Vic or the Lincoln equivalent.

Looks like that's not going to happen

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not a shock. Sort of surprised it took this long.

Ford announced in 2018 they were exiting the passenger car market by 2020. Link: Forbes 5/2/2018: "Ford Takes the Exit Ramp from the Car Business"
quote:
Ford confirmed that its North American vehicle lineup will include only two cars from 2020, the iconic Mustang and the new Focus Active—and even the Focus is morphing into a crossover-style vehicle.

More than 90% of Ford sales in the next decade will be pickup trucks, utilities, and commercial vehicles.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Lincoln Continental Black Label, the highest trim level, starts at $70K not $100K, there were a few made with suicide doors that were $100K but it's not the standard model

The Standard Continental starts at $46K, the Reserve mid grade at $59K. Lincolns Revel audio system which rivals anyones system, really is good, so much so that cranking it fully up theres zero distortion and it's loud, I know this because the wife screams for me to turn it down and I cant hear her, I do feel the pop in the arm....

They are by no means shoddily built, and Ford/Lincoln put a lot of money into the design, shame they are killing it off just as they started to get it looking good. It has the features of the big Jag mesh grill, and a 400 HP 3.0 twin turbo V6.

As to quality, we're on our Second MKC, now Corsair and it's been back in the shop every 5000 miles, for oil change and tire rotation,
and a free loaner to drive while they do the work, you don't have to take it in, so they do service correct.

No squeaks, no rattles, no problem electronics, no poor panel gap inside or out, no recalls.

Wife loves hers, it was down to the Escape Limited or MKC and she liked the MKC. They are by no means poorly built.

I do agree some of it is the Old person stigma attached to the brand, keeps people who buy import luxury from looking at them unless they want a SUV, IE Navigator.... case in point my neighbor an 80+ year old lady who loves the Lincoln brand and doesn't want an SUV, she won't buy import luxury and she can well afford it, and has a Black Label Continental.

I guess they needed someone younger than McConnaughey LOL

It appears Ford Lincoln want out of the car business, other than Mustang, shame really, I'm betting along with sig2392, Cayenne, Macan, or perhaps they are ending gas car production and moving to a Tesla Fighting vehicle model, Consider that the Mustang GT-E is out...

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should clarify, Lincoln died because the competition advanced and Lincoln remained stagnant sitting on its laurels.

Oh come on. Lincoln isn’t dead, they just stopped making the Continental which is a car. Car sales have been declining for years. People want SUVs.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post