SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts, experience, and opinions with Husqvarna riding mower?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts, experience, and opinions with Husqvarna riding mower? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I'm in the market for a new riding mower. Budget is $2k or less. I've got 1/2 acre of lawn to mow. My old John Deere LA145 transmission gave out. I've been looking at the Husqvarna riding mowers, consumer report and other websites seem to be favorable to them.

Anyone here on the forum have first hand experience with them?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
I'm in the market for a new riding mower. Budget is $2k or less. I've got 1/2 acre of lawn to mow. My old John Deere LA145 transmission gave out. I've been looking at the Husqvarna riding mowers, consumer report and other websites seem to be favorable to them.

Anyone here on the forum have first hand experience with them?

I owned one many years ago, 42" deck, I forget what model this was in the 2000-2006 era.

Good mowers at first, but after 3 years, I was working on it every time I used it mowing. But I was mowing much more acreage than you, about 6 acres at the time. When it gave me trouble in 2009, I purchased a Kubota sub compact, and just recently taded up to the compact model Kubota.

My son purchased a Husqvarna zero turn few years ago. He also has a big yard, and his mower has given him trouble lately, but perhaps its the roughness of his yard.

If you have a manicured lawn, the H'varna will be okay.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I have one, 10 years old. I do regular maintenance, and it's a tough dependable mower. My neighbor just bought a brand new one a couple months ago, and he zips through about 5 acres pretty fast. I asked him how his mower could cut so much grass that fast, he said he bought one with a 24 hp or something motor. Mine is 14 I think, but I don't have as much grass to cut. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. And my neighbor is pretty good about stuff like that, because he maintains three of his own properties, one of them is a small farm. so he knows his equipment, and he wouldn't have bought it wasn't a good performer and good value.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I have one, 10 years old. I do regular maintenance, and it's a tough dependable mower. My neighbor just bought a brand new one a couple months ago, and he zips through about 5 acres pretty fast. I asked him how his mower could cut so much grass that fast, he said he bought one with a 24 hp or something motor. Mine is 14 I think, but I don't have as much grass to cut. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. And my neighbor is pretty good about stuff like that, because he maintains three of his own properties, one of them is a small farm. so he knows his equipment, and he wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't a good performer and good value.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I'd replace mine with another in a heartbeat when the time comes.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found they have a wide range of models and a range of quality. The models at the big boxes are definitely different than the ones at the dealers...at least in my area. For example, some have stamped steel mowing decks and others fabricated (welded) heavier gauge steel. I have had mine about four years with no trouble but I keep a spare belt handy for the grass pickup blower as they do wear. I cut only about 1/2 acre with a 42inch deck but pretty steep hills and the 27hp with positraction is great. They also have several engine brands. I got the B&S Vanguard engine built in Japan and very happy with it.
Suggest you visit shops and get details on different models.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good equipment. I've got several pieces of Husky commercial equip and it's as good as any and better than most. Also have a 21" Husky trim mower w/Honda engine. In their riding tractor mowers they have the belt transmission and the hydrostat. The belt is an A designation and hydro is an H. I'd probably get the hydro if I had many hills. My local dealer offered me a 42" hydro w/17hp Kawasaki for $1500 the other day.

In ztr they make everything from entry level residentials to commercial machines that rival anything made. In mowers, buy the dealer as much as the brand.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have a little less than an acre but I love mine, good solid mower and it cuts well even when I'm hauling ass on it.
Next time I'll get a commercial mower but for a big box store mower I'm impressed and glad I got it over anything else you find at lowes/Home Depot.

It's also very easy to maintain, mower deck comes off in 2 minutes without any tools so you don't need a jack or ramps to get the blades off

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I have a half acre like you and I've had a Husqvarna 42" rider for 5 years. I mulch until the fall, then I switch to using the bags to pick up the leaves along with the grass cuttings.

I haven't had any problems with it yet; it does a good job and I'm still on the original battery, too.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I have one over ten years old that i used to mow an acre of lawn. I also had a front mount snow blower on it that I used for seven or eight years before I got a bigger/real tractor. My father in law is now using it to mow a half acre lawn and clear a sixty foot driveway in the winter. Only problem so far was replacing the battery a few times.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I have an Ariens (Home Depot brand made by Husqvarna). Mine is a 46" deck that I use to cut about half an acre. I've had it for about 5 years and the only thing I've replaced are the blades (I went to a mulching blade/kit) and a battery. Mine has been great, and was around $900 when I bought it.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Husqvarna 54" zero turn mower. Mine has the Kohler engine and the only problem I have had is that the hour display does not work...mehh.

I change the oil once a year and sharpen the blades about twice a season.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna makes Poulan Pro gas equipment as well. I picked one up due to a knee injury this year, for $999, with the old style clutch-brake versus the new automatic trans style. So far it's been great.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a 42" Husky rider and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. It's anywhere from 10-15 years old (inherited it from my dad and don't know when he bought it) and runs like a top.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Husqvarna. The day they unloaded it at the house, a pulley fell off and that's the best thing I can say about it.

Over the next 6 months, it spent 3 months in the shop. Wouldn't start, kept throwing belts, threw a rod. The dealer refunded my money and the day they picked it up, a wheel fell off.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I bought one at Lowe's about 10 years ago, 46" cut and I think it was a 20 hp Kohler engine. It was a great mower at first, but after about 4-5 years it blew the hydrostatic transmission and was going to cost more than it was worth to fix it, so I sold it for junk.

Apparently my hilly yard was too much for that transmission, and it was a common problem.

I'm looking to buy another one now, and while I'm not opposed to a Husqvarna, it won't be one of the big box models.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed32hall
posted Hide Post
I have the 46" deck model that I bought 4 years ago. So far, the deck has been replaced once and the deck arms have needed to be re-welded 3 times.
I'm not Dukes of Hazzard jumping the thing either, just mowing my grass. The decks are and have been a recurring problem with them, even the 'commercial' grade welded decks.
If I were to buy another one, which I'm sure that I will have to soon, as it now goes much, much slower in revers than it used to and was told that it was the transmission giving out, I WOULD NOT buy another Husqvarna. That's my personal experience with them. Ed

Sigs - Yes, I would like more German made Sigs

Posts: 2652 | Location: Formerly NW WA, now in SE TN | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Had a Husq for about 4 years. Have about 3/4 acre to mow. About 60% is hill, about 1/4 is steep hill. Mine was a 22hp 48" deck. B&S engine. Engine and frame was great and rugged. The rear end starting to go and it would not pull uphill. I finally sold it and got $200 out of it

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look on Craigslist and get a used older John Deere or Bolens if you are mechanically inclined. The older ones never wear out.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org...ower/6282009511.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org...ctor/6268774679.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but I just got a Troy built rider.

In doing research, it seems like all riding mowers are pretty much crap. I love mine, but I'm seriously hoping it lasts.

This is my first rider, for the price of these things, I think they should last longer than I hear they do and have less issues.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post