SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Germanfoods.org- Bockbier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Germanfoods.org- Bockbier Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I read an article in the Richmond Times Dispatch recently about the decline in The number of German Restaurants in the US.

There was also a link to A German Food website, which I found interesting, and this article about BockBier...a rich German beer.

https://germanfoods.org/german...for-lent-and-beyond/

I like German food, but only remember eating at one German restaurant , many years ago, on Rte 11 in Virigina near I81. Although, I don't remember the name if it, the food was delicious.

There are no German themed eating places in my area that I know of.

Found the name of the German restaraunt I mentioned , Edelweiss , near Staunton,Va

http://www.edelweissvirginia.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Most people aren’t German food fans. I like it, but don’t really know anybody else who would choose to go to German restaurant. It’s not surprising.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
smithnsig, you haven't been to a good one then. If you are ever in Atlanta, I high recommend Der Biergarten. It's the closest to authentic I've had in the states and the beer selection is excellent.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sunset you mean Edelweiss?

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I used to frequent one called Eisele's Bavarian Inn which opened shortly after the end of WWII. They had excellent food but changing demographics resulted in fewer and fewer patrons and they ultimately closed around twenty years ago.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Here in San Diego, I lunch at Kaiserhof German-American restaurant every Sunday – wonderful authentic German food (and beer). When I lived in the Twin Cities I liked The Black Forest Inn at 26th St & Nicollet Ave.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Sunset you mean Edelweiss?

Yes, I found the name of Edelweiss after I made my original posting.

A friend and I stopped and ate there by accident several years ago. We were rambling around up in that area, going to Buchanan,Va.

My friend really enjoyed the stop there more than I did, as he was stationed in Germany in the 60's with Uncle Sam.

I would like to eat there again, but don't know when I will ever return to that area.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
If you are ever in Atlanta, I high recommend Der Biergarten. It's the closest to authentic I've had in the states and the beer selection is excellent.

I'll second that. They get a lot of my money when the wife and I dine out and they have a great atmosphere for watching soccer matches!

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spieler:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
If you are ever in Atlanta, I high recommend Der Biergarten. It's the closest to authentic I've had in the states and the beer selection is excellent.

I'll second that. They get a lot of my money when the wife and I dine out and they have a great atmosphere for watching soccer matches!

Thanks for the tip, fellas. My husband and I are always on the lookout for good German restaurants (and the soccer is a bonus!). We'll check this place out on our next trip to Atlanta.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too far from where I live we have a hand full of German restaurants;

Teskes Germania
Ludwigs
Hardys Bavaria
Esthers Bakery

I like the food a lot! The bier helps add to the flavor!

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Schnitzel Shack in Rincon, GA right outside of Savannah is worth a look also.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Grew up with great German eateries available on the north side of Syracuse. Many are still in operation.

Out here in flyover country they celebrate Oktoberfest with a big festival with great beer and food. And a very popular restaurant that serves authentic German food is the Alpine Inn in Hill City, SD.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post