SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Switch from iPhone 6 to Samsung 8?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch from iPhone 6 to Samsung 8? Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the feedback. Still going back and forth. Dusty camera comments are based on the phones I’ve seen touched and X obviously has not been one of them. Reviews are all over the place so until I can get one in my hands and assess I’ll hold judgement. I have used and compared the S8 and the phone is really nice.

Getting back into the Android ecosystem is a key question, when I left it ... it was buggy, security flawed, and app quality was very uneven. My question probably should have been if it is any better + camera as that is what would push me to switch. If same or worse, then I’m faced with staying iOS.

Honestly if my phone wasn’t failing (battery, slowing) I’d just hold off.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 6, then a 7 and was hesitant about the X. I upgraded to the X after having some time to try it at the store.

The dual lens telephoto camera is great, Face ID works very fast and seamlessly, having a bigger screen in a "normal" size phone is efficient (eyes are getting old). The user interface changes are something to get used to, but after a few minutes, they make sense and become intuitive.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from a S6 active to the S8. I really dont like the curved screen. It makes finding a case/screen protector difficult. Some screen protectors are not compatible with the case.

My screen protector is collecting dust around the curved screen.

Thats really my biggest complaint. The curved screen. I would not get another one.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Thanks all for the feedback. Still going back and forth. Dusty camera comments are based on the phones I’ve seen touched and X obviously has not been one of them. Reviews are all over the place so until I can get one in my hands and assess I’ll hold judgement. I have used and compared the S8 and the phone is really nice.

Getting back into the Android ecosystem is a key question, when I left it ... it was buggy, security flawed, and app quality was very uneven. My question probably should have been if it is any better + camera as that is what would push me to switch. If same or worse, then I’m faced with staying iOS.

Honestly if my phone wasn’t failing (battery, slowing) I’d just hold off.

The Google Pixel 2 series phones feature pure Android 8.0 without all the bloatware of Samsung, etc. They also have the highest rated camera of any cellphone according to DxOMark.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I went from a S6 active to the S8. I really dont like the curved screen. It makes finding a case/screen protector difficult. Some screen protectors are not compatible with the case.

My screen protector is collecting dust around the curved screen.

Thats really my biggest complaint. The curved screen. I would not get another one.

You really don't need a screen protector unless your phone sees ridiculously harsh conditions. The S8 glass is very durable.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Just got a Samsung s8+. This thing is great. Can't compare them as I don't use Apple, but really happy. 6 hours of use, battery is still at 87 percent.

And it was literally half the cost of the iPhone X

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I received my Pixel 2 on Monday. Speed-wise it's currently blowing the doors off my iPhone 6S. It's been very nice getting to the the content I need immediately.

I don't do tons and tons of random application usage though.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post